1 2 3 4
nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
12/30/18 12:22 a.m.

heading down the possum 'bourne' hole. smiley

he gets referenced in the video and I'd totally forgot he existed.

team oneill wheel video

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
12/30/18 5:43 a.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

An easy way to get a small amount of lift on mac strut cars is by adding a spacer between the upper mount & body. Presuming you have enough threads on the upper mount, or install longer studs. Longer springs would be next. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/30/18 6:08 a.m.

On a relative comfort scale, a rally car would be a lot easier to live with than any road racer. 

So if you want to DD your iconic racer replica, this is a good path to take. 

Dave M
Dave M Reader
12/30/18 7:39 a.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

DC is no problem because the traffic is so bad you can't go fast enough to hurt your car!  That, and the speed cameras. My i3 is a pretty rough ride around town with those stupid teeny tires, but I'm going 40 tops.

It's the other drivers here that are the problem, and they *will* hit and damage your precious poorsh-ah. I'm just waiting for the i3 to get totaled by the insurance after a fender bender.

Actually, there's an idea: safari i3!

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
12/30/18 8:00 a.m.

We are building a safari xj

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
12/30/18 8:12 a.m.

don't we have a thread about this?
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/lifted-cars/39280/page1/

so, I'd say it's bound to percolate down... especially as we get more and more car/CUV hybrid things running around

I'm actually pretty interested in this myself.  I agree that DC and surrounding area roads warrant some attention to this.

I was actually looking into this a bit more before our move... since some of the places we could have ended up have even worse roads.

AFAIK, the recipe seems to be: MacStrut car with spacers, some good rally-ish coilovers... and "something something tires"... which I reckon is the part that needs the most sussing.  What's the best tire to put on a car to handle 9" deep pothole that's 18" long or longer?

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
12/30/18 8:30 a.m.

Ok , anyone know of a cheap 911 to start with ?

Send me a PM if there is a project to start with

Thanks.....

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
12/30/18 9:02 a.m.
joey48442 said:

We are building a safari xj

Joel, does this thing have the 4.0 six, or something else? Auto or manual?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/30/18 9:28 a.m.

My son is building a 450 hp safari 914. He intends to drive it on the streets of Atlanta. 

He wont be asking anyone’s opinion. 

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
12/30/18 10:20 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk :

4.0, 2wd, automatic. It’s my buddies, he’s taking it to sno*drift!

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
12/30/18 10:57 a.m.
SVreX said:

My son is building a 450 hp safari 914. He intends to drive it on the streets of Atlanta. 

build thread, or it didn't happen wink

jimlowe
jimlowe
12/30/18 11:14 a.m.

Here’s a 911 Safari on a 91 Miata budget.

jimlowe
jimlowe New Reader
12/30/18 11:16 a.m.

jimlowe
jimlowe New Reader
12/30/18 11:17 a.m.

With son, for scale

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/30/18 11:43 a.m.

Remember when cars were fun?

So if I'm not using a vehicle for its intended purpose it's sacrilege? 

If I'm not doing 200mph around Taledaga in my 69 Daytona...

If I'm not blitzkrieging Poland in my VW Thing...

If I'm not busting perps in a P71...

If I'm not hauling 400 cases of Coors beer with my W900 Kenworth rig...

Its-just-a-car!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/30/18 11:46 a.m.
sleepyhead said:
SVreX said:

It is happening. Sorry, don’t feel the need to prove it. wink

Maybe someday...

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
12/30/18 11:47 a.m.

From the London to Sydney rally

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
12/30/18 12:21 p.m.
SVreX said:
sleepyhead said:
SVreX said:

It is happening. Sorry, don’t feel the need to prove it. wink

Maybe someday...

To be more explicit, and less "internetty"... that's the kind of story I'd like to follow along and/or encourage... or, at least, see a final build picture of.  I'd wager I'm not alone in this.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
12/30/18 12:38 p.m.
Kreb said:
Slippery said:

I like them when they are driven as intended.

This. If you are the owner of the car you can do whatever the hell you want to with it. But there are a lot of guys like myself who will withhold our respect until it's actually seen the dirt in a serious way. It's no different than all the stockbrokers and other monied professionals who I see driving their Porsches as if they had Buick on the nameplates.

I suppose you also withhold your respect from : big pickup truck owners who never tow stuff or haul heavy equipment; sportscar owners who never go to the track; 4-door sedan owners who never have anyone ride in the back seat; Jeep owners who don't off-road; Miata owners who don't autocross; Anyone who builds a high-horsepower car and doesn't drag race; etc etc etc. You must have a lot of respect saved up for future use.....lol.

I do chuckle at them being a bit poser-ish, but you never know. There was a local guy who used to have the plates "rally BMW" on his e92, with rallhy armor mudflaps. I'd see the guy all the time in my commute and get a little chuckle. Then I go to a rallycross the next month and there he is, getting his year-old e92 all muddy out in a field.  

I actually love these "safari" Porsches, primarily because they piss off the snarky 911 purists. I'd rather see this than yet another "look I got $5000 BBS 3-piece wheels for my GT2" build. Purists for any marque are the most boring and lame of automotive groups. 

Cooter
Cooter Dork
12/30/18 12:46 p.m.

This is GRM after all.

Build something that makes you happy.   Be happy that someone else is building something that makes them happy.

As long as it isn't patently unsafe, I don't understand the hate.  I prefer to use my Curmudgeon Powers™ elsewhere.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
12/30/18 12:48 p.m.
sleepyhead said:

I'm actually pretty interested in this myself.  I agree that DC and surrounding area roads warrant some attention to this.

You guys crack me up. I've lived in the DC metro area for about 25 years now - commuted many of those from NoVa into DC proper and into PGC, probably the "poorest" area near DC in terms of transportation infrastructure. I've done it for years in normal/lowered cars with fairly low-profile tires and had exactly one flat (from a nail) - never bent a wheel, broken suspension, set off airbags. There are some rough roads here and there, but if you're hauling ass through those areas and breaking stuff, that's on you. IDk where you guys are driving lol...

If you live in Iraq or India or the Yukon or something, maybe a lifted car on big tires is perhaps called for. In this area, literally any stock vehicle is entirely sufficient...

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
12/30/18 1:01 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

Agreed.  I live in the pothole ridden hellhole of upstate NY.  Some of the roads around here can be pretty bad, but I've yet to hurt a car with them.  Only road-induced damage I've ever done (which admittedly would have been worse in another car, but I also would have been more likely to avoid the cause in the first place) was one slight bend in a wheel lip in the Jeep back in CT after a really big, nasty storm.  Didn't know about the newly formed, very large pothole hidden under a puddle and hit it doing 30-ish.  No tire damage, just a slight cosmetic ding to the wheel. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
12/30/18 1:31 p.m.

I once found the rock "with my name on it" and cracked the engine case in my 1967 bug.......look about 10 quarts of oil to get it home !

But back to Rally look cars , most are built like something from Monte Carlo rally , public roads and forest paths etc

But then you get the Paris to Dakar , or London to Sydney type races and you get what looks like overbuilt cars like the one above with the front to back roll cage......

I would build something in the middle,  kick the suspension up a few inches ,  larger diameter tires to fit the larger radius custom wheel wells , skid plates ,  lots of lights and push bumper "Roo Bars"....

Same thing would look great on s 240z , Datsun 510 , early Volvo , BMW 2002 etc

Just remember you are driving a clown car and will gets lots of looks every time you take it out , this can be good or bad !

But just have fun.  That's what it's all about.....

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
12/30/18 1:36 p.m.

well, here you guys go....enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Euy_Va39I1M

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
12/30/18 1:45 p.m.

My main opinion about these safari 911 builds is that if you can afford to play in the air cooled 911 world, like not only buy one but then screw around with it in ways that make you more likely to destroy it, I would prefer those people use their means to take cars that aren't currently in great condition and then bring them up rather than take ones that are already nice and throw them into a cloud of flying gravel. Sort of like a sandblaster but with rocks! So, I don't necessarily dislike the entire trend, but i dont like what Mr. Farah specifically did. I like his car less than that 911 that did lemons with a diesel swap. But, i dont have to like it! People can do what they want. This is just my opinion about what they're doing. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BvLRVKMk7qhxJBeimogrVYcksRa3yU7LCaS9kGMrdkjH5CjZyEwQbthBYej4hOri