3 4 5 6
irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
10/13/19 7:22 p.m.
Knurled. said:

(I also briefly drove Chris Greenhouse's Neon on the street at Sno*Drift to transit it from here to there while Chris was off doing recce or something in his street car, and I don't know if it was the subzero temps or just the DMSs' valving but it didn't feel like they were moving much, either)

My Sequoia (Matt Rhoades driving) has towed Chris Greenhouse's Neon when it broke down during a transit at Sandblast a couple years ago :)

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
10/13/19 7:27 p.m.
EvanB said:

https://www.miata.net/motm/2010/edmunds2.html

Ah, CRS. That makes more sense. Cali: you can rally a convertible, but you better not put a cold-air intake on it or CARB will arrest you :)

SCCA Pro Rally used to let Fiat 124s run along with the Jeeps. Not sure what year the rules changed though. 

Looks safe....dudes are wearing Bahama shirts or something :)

Image may contain: 1 person, car

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
10/13/19 9:11 p.m.
irish44j said:
Knurled. said:
t some people who rallied Miatas

AFAIK, there is only one person who rallies a Miata in the US, and it only ran a couple NASA events (Miatas are not legal for ARA), and to my knowledge it was on off-the-shelf stuff. Or are there others up in Canuckistan or something? 

Not sure what ever happened to this one. I don't think the Black Flag guys are still running this or their other car these days. I think it only did one, maybe two events. 

Also funny to compare an *actual* stage rally Miata vs all the "rally-look" Miatas. Where's the Paco lift? cheeky

Image result for black flag rally miata

I think the lifted rally cars misconception comes from the African Safari rally (hence the name of the trend on Porsches).

This:

Versus this:

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
10/13/19 9:17 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

The amusing thing is that the A pillar mounted floodlights are not a rally specific item, they were just mandatory in some of the countries they were driving through.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
10/13/19 9:33 p.m.
Daylan C said:
irish44j said:
Knurled. said:

AFAIK, there is only one person who rallies a Miata in the US, and it only ran a couple NASA events (Miatas are not legal for ARA), and to my knowledge it was on off-the-shelf stuff. Or are there others up in Canuckistan or something? 

Not sure what ever happened to this one. I don't think the Black Flag guys are still running this or their other car these days. I think it only did one, maybe two events. 

Also funny to compare an *actual* stage rally Miata vs all the "rally-look" Miatas. Where's the Paco lift? cheeky

I think the lifted rally cars misconception comes from the African Safari rally (hence the name of the trend on Porsches).

This:

Versus this:

Surely true. The Dakar and Baja guys needed the huge tires and more ground clearance to float on the sand dunes. But I'm not convinced that the majority of Americans know the difference lol....just as many of these big-tires-and-a-lift-on-a-normal-car builds are titled "rally tribute" or "rally build" or whatever. All good though, each to his own. Just wish most of them actually went off-road with them (sure, a few do...) rather than to cars and coffee :)

Also, your post makes me miss the Delta HF I drove in high school..........crying

Chaplin
Chaplin New Reader
10/14/19 3:54 a.m.

Hello guys,,

I like them when they are driven as intended. Jeff Zwart piloted one of the two in the video below, he probably has more access to Porsche race engineers than anyone else in the US: .

Wally
Wally MegaDork
10/14/19 4:44 a.m.

In reply to irish44j :

If it helps with the semantics as a kid I liked the look of Dakar racers more than a traditional rally car so if I ever build a Porsche that way I have my excuse.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/14/19 9:37 a.m.

As an outsider...  I ignored this thread, because I care not a whit about 911's or Dakar stanced cars.  However, seeing it at five pages caught my interest.  "Hmmm... What has this topic degenerated to?  Affordable health care?  Pizza with pineapple? Mexican border walls? Better check."

You guys care very deeply abut stanced 911's.  Congrats.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
10/14/19 9:47 a.m.

Apparently the Safari tribute 240Zs are actually sort of a thing already.

TopNoodles
TopNoodles Reader
10/14/19 12:34 p.m.

My co-worker asked if my Miata is lifted. It's stock, it's not slammed on eBay coilovers like all the other ones. I'd like an extra 1" of lift though for peace of mind with some of the road hazards around here. I use my car for camping trips so it's naturally evolving into the "rally" look.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
10/14/19 12:44 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

Seeing your four door E30 set up like this makes me want to slightly keep my ETA.

octavious
octavious Dork
10/17/19 8:42 p.m.

"Hypothetically" say one owns a S197, and might consider rallycross.  Is there a simple, cheap, easy, way to lift the front end (even an inch or two) and have it be level with the rear end?  This person may have a S197 GT with a giant tire to fender gap in the rear with the stock rake, resulting in no where near as much tire to fender gap in the front. It looks like an eagle getting ready to dive into the lake for a fish. 

**Please, o please, say that something simple like Ford Explorer or Escape front struts combined with long sway bar links would make this whole idea work.****

jimlowe
jimlowe New Reader
10/18/19 1:08 a.m.
TopNoodles said:

My co-worker asked if my Miata is lifted. It's stock, it's not slammed on eBay coilovers like all the other ones. I'd like an extra 1" of lift though for peace of mind with some of the road hazards around here. I use my car for camping trips so it's naturally evolving into the "rally" look.

Somewhere back on the second page you’ll find my mildly lifted 1991 Miata camping car. It’s on NB HD Bilsteins with slightly stiffer than factory springs and adjustable perches. Lift can be set from stock to roughly 3” higher; it’s presently set at a bit over 15” from center wheel to wheel arch. Both anti roll bars have been removed. Let me know if you’d like any of the particulars. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
10/18/19 5:45 a.m.
octavious said:

"Hypothetically" say one owns a S197, and might consider rallycross.  Is there a simple, cheap, easy, way to lift the front end (even an inch or two) and have it be level with the rear end?  This person may have a S197 GT with a giant tire to fender gap in the rear with the stock rake, resulting in no where near as much tire to fender gap in the front. It looks like an eagle getting ready to dive into the lake for a fish. 

**Please, o please, say that something simple like Ford Explorer or Escape front struts combined with long sway bar links would make this whole idea work.****

Run it as is, it might work just fine that way.

If you do anything to modify the suspension, that puts you into a class where rally tires are also allowed, and properly sized rally tires will be able to pull 1g on dirt with spikes over 2g when you slide into bumps, so lifted is generally a bad idea.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
5/30/20 8:05 a.m.

didn't think I should sully irish44j's thread... so I figured I'd drop this here, in case some of y'all wanted inspiration, a laugh, or a distraction.  however the day and video find you...

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
5/30/20 8:32 a.m.

I like the plus 1 look of rally cars, but lifted on 31x10.5 tires isn't for me.  But if someone else likes that for their car, that is ok!

Just remember,throw some big round lights on the front and it will be good.  wink

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
5/30/20 10:17 a.m.

I don't think the craze is going anyway RUF has made a prototype called Safari, and I kind of like it. Not as much as a Yellow bird but I like it.

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
5/30/20 11:16 a.m.

That RUF Safari looks like a Hot Wheels or Matchbox vehicle in the making.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Great Video.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/30/20 2:42 p.m.

If I win the mega millions, I'm buying this and I'm going to drive it hard enough the dealer will be sad to see me come and go.

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
5/30/20 11:24 p.m.
GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
5/31/20 7:32 p.m.
irish44j said:
Daylan C said:
irish44j said:
Knurled. said:

This:

Versus this:

Surely true. The Dakar and Baja guys needed the huge tires and more ground clearance to float on the sand dunes. But I'm not convinced that the majority of Americans know the difference lol....just as many of these big-tires-and-a-lift-on-a-normal-car builds are titled "rally tribute" or "rally build" or whatever. All good though, each to his own. Just wish most of them actually went off-road with them (sure, a few do...) rather than to cars and coffee :)

Also, your post makes me miss the Delta HF I drove in high school..........crying

The Europeans have a term for the difference: "Rallies" are what take place on the mix of asphalt and dirt roads, whereas "Raids" are the desert events that may also have rally components such as Dakar. Open terrain also differentiates a raid from a rally. Spots where there is no real "course" to "leave".

Dakar, though called the Dakar Rally, is actually a Raid.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/31/20 8:22 p.m.
GCrites80s said:
irish44j said:
Daylan C said:
irish44j said:
Knurled. said:

This:

Versus this:

The Europeans have a term for the difference: "Rallies" are what take place on the mix of asphalt and dirt roads, whereas "Raids" are the desert events that may also have rally components such as Dakar. Open terrain also differentiates a raid from a rally. Spots where there is no real "course" to "leave".

Dakar, though called the Dakar Rally, is actually a Raid.

Indeed, and it's why Dodge named its rebadged Mitsubishi Pajero (which won Dakar several times) the "Raider"

There's one in my driveway, next to my (stage) rally car....

But really, we're just using the term "rally" in general, since there are a dozen or more variations (TSD rally, rallycross (which means different things in different places), stage rally, rally sprint, rally raid, overland rally, etc etc etc). As i noted, most Americans don't know the difference anyhow. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/31/20 8:25 p.m.
LopRacer said:

I don't think the craze is going anyway RUF has made a prototype called Safari, and I kind of like it. Not as much as a Yellow bird but I like it.

Take all the cheesy cliche "rally look" stuff off this car, and it would look pretty great, actually. 

If they ever make this, there is a 100% chance a couple will be bought in this area (DC) and show up at cars and coffee. If I get word that is happening, I'm going to make every possible effort to show up and park the e30 right next to it, just for laughs. I'll even drive there on my gravels :)

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/31/20 9:07 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

The "rally look" stuff on that Porsche looks kind of period correct, from the early days of the Monte Carlo Rally, which was a publicity stunt to get well-to-do Europeans to get together ("rally") in Monte Carlo during the slow season.

And that is why the Monte Carlo Rally is held in berking winter.  They don't have multiple starting points anymore though.

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FcvOZ6Qh9Z8FaHNe2ZuqPrXoGLMrKw8Ts8Hhbp2YYP6E7sMF0sMALpfQkoSRwpjr