GPz11
GPz11 Reader
11/2/18 9:25 a.m.

Ok, so I'm installing some Wilwood radial calipers on my XR4Ti.

The mounting brackets are aluminum with ARP bolts to hold the calipers on. Do I go with lock tite (blue) or Never seize?

Thanks!

ross2004
ross2004 Reader
11/2/18 9:54 a.m.

In my experience, Loctite has an anti-seizing effect. I always use blue Loctite on caliper bracket bolts- they never loosen and come off very smoothly the next time they're removed.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/2/18 10:13 a.m.

Loctite will increase the break torque to loosen the bolts but subsequently they will, as Ross indicated, not be rusted and seized. Antiseize is probably fine with proper torque, but the temperature there is probably exceeding what most anti-seize can do (disregard the can label!). 

EDIT, Blue loctite is only good for 300F, so if it's hot enough to kill the antiseize it will kill the Loctite also.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap HalfDork
11/2/18 10:15 a.m.

Copper anti seize is what i would use. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/2/18 10:29 a.m.

I went to the Wilwood website, looked at a few installation guides, all recommend Loctite 271. 

https://wilwood.com/Tech/HowToStories

GPz11
GPz11 Reader
11/2/18 10:33 a.m.
z31maniac said:

I went to the Wilwood website, looked at a few installation guides, all recommend Loctite 271. 

https://wilwood.com/Tech/HowToStories

Stop it with all the common sense crap like checking the website!

:>)

Thanks!

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
11/2/18 9:02 p.m.

Next, you'll be reading the manual!

GPz11
GPz11 Reader
11/3/18 6:02 a.m.

In reply to snailmont5oh :

You shut your mouth!!

Ok, if the kit came with a manual, I would have read it but there aren’t too many off the shelf kits to put radial Wilwoods on an XR running Scorpio hubs.  Also the Wilwood kits use a stud with a nut while I have a bolt going into an aluminum mount.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/3/18 8:09 a.m.

ARP bolts are coated, nothing is required.

Would feel better if a stud were used instead of a bolt, it makes assembly and disassembly much easier given that every radial mount Wilwood I've worked with needed a bunch of shims to get the caliper location right.

GPz11
GPz11 Reader
11/3/18 9:17 a.m.

Yup, I agree and when I get back from Road Atlanta at the end of the month, I’ll convert them over to studs.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bi9ST6tNzClJVxqXYOe48aOIGlDTrnJEeqSW2qPrtUOxFbwfAh282reFWllU2Rtl