1 2 3 4 5
bklecka
bklecka None
6/19/14 9:30 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard: I could use hand me down any things to assist with my $2014 Challenge car. I am trying to get my ZX2 ready as a father son project with my 11 year old but the job- family- money monster keeps me from doing what needs to be done on the car. I have fallen way behind schedule and I am now just hoping to to have it running this year. I could use anything, from manuals, parts, tools, even cleaning supplies and chemicals. I look forward to seeing you in October(car finished or not).

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/19/14 11:22 p.m.

So who gets the awesomest GRM stuff for yesterday

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
6/19/14 11:41 p.m.

I would like ... something... from a GRM desk to serve as a physical reminder to get off the damn internet and get my ass into the garage.
The internet will be here when I come back, you yahoos can wait.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
6/20/14 5:26 a.m.

Being fortunate enough to be standing here enjoying a light breeze off New York Harbor on company time instead of hoping for a trinket to brighten up some soulless cubicle is it's own reward. If any of the cube dwellers are lonely I could probably send you a urine soaked homeless person to sleep under you desk and make incoherent threats at your stapler.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
6/20/14 7:13 a.m.

He'll no, the last time I trusted you guys I got saddled with Hongs

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
6/20/14 7:49 a.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to pinchvalve: You're instantly out of the running thanks to that Kia Rondo spamming awhile back...... Sincerely the GRM Poster's Union

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Associate Editor
6/20/14 8:08 a.m.

JohnRW1621 and pinchvalve, congrats on winning day 1. Please email your mailing addresses to Tom@grassrootsmotorsports.com

Keep posting, everyone–every essay after my post ending day 1 is in the running for today's prize.

Tom Suddard
6/20/14 8:09 a.m.

Oh, and you are welcome to enter every day, if you feel so inclined. But no reposts!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
6/20/14 8:33 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

I suspect the judging was difficult since it appears that the jury was sequestered for the evening.

This award is not about myself but more about what it has done for perceptions...

I'd like to thank The Academy for the recognition of The Arts. Of which, fiction, seems to get its long deserved place of prominence.

This award also brings personal reaffirmation to the fact that Katie's opinion is worth more than jack.

These are the real winners and to these winners you have my applause.

Tom Suddard
6/20/14 8:47 a.m.

Package number one has been sent.

Thanks for telling me your, um, "size" John....

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
6/20/14 8:50 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:
I had considered including a photo.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
6/20/14 9:24 a.m.

Because I'm almost certain to turn it into something stupid and/or dangerous. It's just kinda my thing.

kjrcace
kjrcace
6/20/14 10:04 a.m.

Let me start by saying Because I deserve it. I've been a car guy since I was able to vibrate my lips, make tire screeching sounds while simultaneously moving a hotwheels and match box cars. They were soon replaced with wrenches, torches, stinger and a interest in anything with a motor. I've only restored 3 vehicles all of them foreign. 68 bug, widened 4" custom flares bumpers and interior. 72 Datsun Pick up. helped my brother do this one since it was his. 75 Datsun pick up my college ride. 6 years of service 2 motors 2 floorboards sold it for 5 times the 200 I paid for it. Wall street took no notice. Spent 16 years in a cavalier that just would not die saving up for what I always said I'd buy 06 STI. I always told people if subaru made a fast one I'd buy it. I missed the chance for the svx since I was in college/unemployed. Now at 118k my STI still runs and handles like new. Best car I've ever owned. Spent many years helping dad change oil and timing belts on the family subies. Then my subie madness got the best of me. I read and article on a subaru 360. I decided how cool it would be to have both the fastest and slowest subies known to man. Well I now have accumulated 7 360's two of which run. One is licensed and entertaining to drive but needs paint and interior finish. The others consist of a 360 Dune buggy (quasi factory approved mod), a 360 truck with a massive payload of 700 lbs and three parts cars/restoration projects. One of which I'm planning a 360/818 project. Basically making the frame to allow me to mid engine mount the boxer in the back seat of the 360, build suspension for mounting subie knuckles at all four corners and slap the body on the frame widen the body to cover the tires and wa la super conflicted 360/818. It's either going to be a 360 surprised by the ablilty to go fast or an 818 wandering what happened to it's sexy fiberglass body. Send some subie stuff my way, it will inspire my madness.

rcutclif
rcutclif Reader
6/20/14 10:12 a.m.

I could not post this yesterday even though I was quite excited about it.

At the place of my employment, we have a computer system we have to log into each day. Because someone thinks this computer system is super-secret, we have another system that makes a daily random password for us. Usually I have a really hard time remembering the password (and thus am forced to write it on a post-it note on my desk - the irony!), but not yesterday. Yesterday I had a GRM password: "vwTDiV8EF". I saw it and thought, there must be someone on the board that has this car. An EF swapped with a vw TDI v8? How can that not exist at GRM?

kjrcace
kjrcace New Reader
6/20/14 10:38 a.m.

In reply to JThw8:

You can check out my flicker account for my 360 exploits. Here's the link https://www.flickr.com/photos/43613255@N06/

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
6/20/14 10:38 a.m.

I deserve to win something from the GRM office because I listen to GWAR while driving a 1973 AMC Javelin to work at a car parts store. I also have my 2 1/2 year daughter hooked more on race cars, Hot Wheels, and Lego than dolls, so I'm teaching the next generation. I also like parrots.

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
6/20/14 12:39 p.m.

Because I'm elbows deep in a Miata engine swap in my driveway. It's way to hot for this Canadian in Virginia, but I want it ready to bring me to the UTCC, so that I can work pit out for your fifty entrants. I do this, because to me, that's the grassroots way.

Tom Suddard
6/20/14 4:04 p.m.

Aaaand day two has closed. Winners coming soon.

3brokenhondas
3brokenhondas New Reader
6/20/14 7:23 p.m.

Way back in my senior year of highschool (2003) I picked up one of your magazines little did I know the way I viewed cars would be changed forever. I was a typical high schooler interested in Hondas for all the wrong reasons. After flipping through those pages I began pricing konis instead of body kits and tires instead of stereos. Now 11 years later I finally bought a car I've wanted for a decade... A na chassis miata. I blame you guys for getting me hooked on the kool aid but truthfully you can't wipe the smile off my face when I'm driving that rusty worn out hunk of metal, glass and plastic. I now have a project that my little boy, Jensen, and I can work on and would love a cool piece to add to the car, my garage, or the house to serve as a reminder of how your magazine changed my perspective on many things in my life. ( btw I still read the rat patrol issue constantly)

bradb
bradb New Reader
6/21/14 8:58 a.m.

Dear Grm, I commend you. There are many things I would throw away if I were not afraid others would pick them up. In deciding whether to join in this frolic I realized that I can resist anything except temptation. Since I find it necessary to fill my life with unnecessary things I should like to be the recipient of the bulk of your accumulated treasures.

Tom Suddard
6/21/14 11:52 a.m.

Congratulations Wally and Jthw8, email me you addresses please.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
6/21/14 12:10 p.m.

GRM, help me restore my reputation with my wife and kids. They saw me writing my essay and when asked what I was doing posting pics of my kids up I explained that the man behind the curtain was giving away free stuff. Then I went on to explain that since we all talk about family here, and how the car hobby brings families together that I stood a good chance at willing. We were all certain the GRM folks would like to feed a father-son project thats related to cars.
If I have to tell them that I was wrong on this, they will doubt EVERYTHING I say. What happens if they start to question that Miata IS the answer? If one of my kids ends up buying some uninspiring car because "yeah, dad said the answer is Miata, but he also said those GRM dudes would give us something and they didn't."
What if my wife starts to doubt the love I have for her? If she starts to look elsewhere and discovers that not EVERY man has 2 cars per family member? Or that most men only own cars that consistently run?
Can you see my dilemma here? The very fabric that holds 5 lives together is hanging by a thread, and Tommy, that's a thread that only YOU can shore up.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
6/21/14 12:32 p.m.

I feel I am deserving of a prize as I happen to be a deposed Nigerian prince.
This small gesture would help me regain some of the respect and fear due to a man of such impressive lineage.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
6/21/14 12:58 p.m.

I hope this isn't just some elaborate plot to break in and steal what my wife is certain is the largest toy bus collection on my block.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
6/21/14 3:57 p.m.

I'd love to have something from the GRM office!!! I thoroughly support you magazine and cause... I wear T-shirts, Bought myself and others multiple subscriptions, jazz up my MR2 Turbo and F2T MX-3 with GRM Decals. Grassroots Motorsports is a great philosophy and the best way to also get into the DIY/Low Buck automotive hobby. With the help of this board, I finally pinned down my issue with my MEGASQUIRT's issues which which is no small feat. Surprise me with something please..

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fGPPZEYjKh6OndMmVIGDgcq1aw9jv0F5T67s6DjYpKnx3a91apKtt8OU1N4NMjBU