Olemiss540 Reader
9/1/20 11:49 a.m.

Anyone want to buy a $102k car? https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1205971

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
9/1/20 11:50 a.m.
L5wolvesf said:
Olemiss540 said:

Buyer lives in Fair Haven, NJ and is the COO of "MotoVenture" that supposedly "restores and modifies vintage automobiles to meet the needs of our customers". He had the wheels shipped to what appears to be his brother's business (brother must have paid for the UPS label that way) which is a copier repair service in Kenilworth, NJ. 

This was your WTF?? moment. Why would a guy in the car business have car parts shipped to what smells like a drop box location? And having the guy do a label takes you out of the loop.

Was the shippment insured?

I figured it was his place of work that was providing the shipping labels. Since he provided the shipping labels, no way to know if it was insured I do not believe. I didnt know about the printing company or anything else until later once I was defrauded of my money.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
9/1/20 12:00 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:
L5wolvesf said:
Olemiss540 said:

Buyer lives in Fair Haven, NJ and is the COO of "MotoVenture" that supposedly "restores and modifies vintage automobiles to meet the needs of our customers". He had the wheels shipped to what appears to be his brother's business (brother must have paid for the UPS label that way) which is a copier repair service in Kenilworth, NJ. 

This was your WTF?? moment. Why would a guy in the car business have car parts shipped to what smells like a drop box location? And having the guy do a label takes you out of the loop.

Was the shippment insured?

I figured it was his place of work that was providing the shipping labels. Since he provided the shipping labels, no way to know if it was insured I do not believe. I didnt know about the printing company or anything else until later once I was defrauded of my money.

While people like to bash eBay and PayPal one advantage they have is address verification. For me I NEVER EVER ship to an un confirmed address.

Did you check the account that paid you to see if it was being shipped to that account's address?

scooterfrog
scooterfrog Reader
9/1/20 12:02 p.m.
L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
9/1/20 12:03 p.m.

In reply to scooterfrog :

Con

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/1/20 12:06 p.m.

He is apparently in charge of parts acquisition...

Hmmmm

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/1/20 12:11 p.m.
tuna55 said:

You're making me scared about the big item I just sold via ebay/paypal

Ebay is much stronger about seller rights and fairness. Sell on eBay, ship to verified PayPal address only, and you're fine. I've been selling on eBay since 98 and ship around 25 items a month.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
9/1/20 12:12 p.m.

I would file in small claims court. You don't need an attorney and the clerk will actually help you fill out the forms in most jurisdictions. You will need to document carefully the condition in which the wheels left your place. Make him document what it looked like when he got it. Maybe the shipper is responsible. Gather all the paperwork you can find and document everything. Also remember that there is a big difference between getting a judgment and getting the money. 

bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/1/20 12:18 p.m.

Hmmm.....Studying to be in the financial markets and is COO of a company with no Duns info or Tax ID. Seems about right. 

I'd be filing a court case against him ASAP. 

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
9/1/20 12:35 p.m.
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) said:

Hmmm.....Studying to be in the financial markets and is COO of a company with no Duns info or Tax ID. Seems about right. 

I'd be filing a court case against him ASAP. 

Yup - does not add up. So I did a quick / dirty search MotoVentures in NY or NJ - not there. 

Can't serve papers without an address

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
9/1/20 12:47 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) :

How do I file a court case against someone in another state? Small claims or talk to a lawyer in your opinion? If small claims it appears I will be flying to NJ a few times since I cant handle from here I presume.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
9/1/20 1:18 p.m.
L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
9/1/20 1:36 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:

In reply to bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) :

How do I file a court case against someone in another state? Small claims or talk to a lawyer in your opinion? If small claims it appears I will be flying to NJ a few times since I cant handle from here I presume.

You have to know which state he is in before you look at the state's laws. NJ was just a shipping drop point not necessarily where the guy lives. He may be in NY or PA. 

Have you verified what EXACTLY is at the NJ address? Have you checked PayPal for any verified address?

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
9/1/20 1:57 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

If he's nearby I'm willing to knock on the door and say that I was sent to pick up the damaged wheels.

I came here to say this.  I did it for someone before, I went to the address and told them I was there to pick up the parts or the cash, we can do  it now or with the police in 10 minutes, up to you.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
9/1/20 2:55 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:
Stampie (FS) said:

If he's nearby I'm willing to knock on the door and say that I was sent to pick up the damaged wheels.

I came here to say this.  I did it for someone before, I went to the address and told them I was there to pick up the parts or the cash, we can do  it now or with the police in 10 minutes, up to you.

Let me know if you are in NJ!

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
9/1/20 4:28 p.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

I bought the calipers off eBay.  I did send them back to the seller but he didn't have a proper address and they got returned to me.  I sent him a message thru eBay saying to send me a label with the proper address and I'd happily send them back to him but he never did.

The seats I think I did send back to the seller, that was thru M3Forum.net I think?  That guy was a real piece of work, after I got the seats and saw that they were replicas I called him and on the phone he refused to take them back while acknowledging that they weren't the real deal.  I ended up getting my money back via a credit card dispute for them.  Then his friends on the forum tried to make out that he was this great guy, not a scammer.

I haven't sold on rennlist in awhile, been able to sell the stuff locally recently.  The one used car I bought off rennlist was a real lemon, got burned badly on that one, that was the 951 I ended up LS swapping.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
9/1/20 4:30 p.m.

I'd call the Dean of his school and report him for an ethics violation.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/1/20 4:43 p.m.

It's stories like this that make me love GRM even more.  I sold a diff to a Stu though text.  We've never met in person.  Agreement was it'd get to him GRM express.  That'll be a month or two out.  I told him to give the cash to Michael since they see each other and Michael is gonna need Nader money.  I expected once it got to the Stu he'd give up the money.  Dusterdb13 said the money showed up this weekend.  With us it's like a whatever they're good for it.  Anyone going up 95 from FL to NC anytime sooner?

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
9/1/20 4:49 p.m.
docwyte said:

I'd call the Dean of his school and report him for an ehtics violation.

I would do this. If nothing else you can confirm whether or not he really goes there, and if not relay that information back to Facebook. 

You could have fun messing with him online. 

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
9/1/20 4:55 p.m.
docwyte said:

I'd call the Dean of his school and report him for an ehtics violation.

Only IF you believe the Linkedin account is real

https://blog.linkedin.com/2019/august/20/an-update-on-how-were-fighting-fake-accounts 

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) MegaDork
9/1/20 5:21 p.m.

Get information about MotoVenture and approach it throught here.

The vintage Porsche restoration circle isn't terribly huge. Somebody like Roads Scholars (in Durham, NC) might actually know who this kid is.

Again: Based on the story, he's a FELON.  If you used the US Postal Service, you've got a mail fraud claim. They will pursue it.

johndej
johndej Dork
9/1/20 6:35 p.m.

I'll share a site I've found is very accurate in finding addresses if you know a name and approximate age...not a canoe but might give you spam

https://www.familytreenow.com

LarryNH (Forum Supporter)
LarryNH (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/1/20 7:10 p.m.

MotoVenture is probably not a legal entity but a name he uses for his "business".  What I would do:

1.  Confirm his name and brother's name.

2.  Find his address.  You have brother's business address.  If he's a student, probably lives with parents.

3.  Send him letter, registered with return receipt, advising him you will press charges for theft against him if  he doesn't either pay you or return the wheels.  Give him a short deadline, like 5 business days.

4.  Contact police in Kenilworth and Fair Haven and ask for assistance on this theft.  They may help or not or tell you what you need to do.   Do this while you wait for response to your letter.

5.  If you get no response to letter, begin the theft action with police.  Criminal action much more damaging than a small claims judgement.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
9/1/20 7:18 p.m.

In reply to LarryNH (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks so much!

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
9/1/20 7:37 p.m.

You have high-resolution photos of the wheels which I assume you will testify in court that the photos accurately show the condition of the wheels when you shipped them.  Ask him to send photos showing exactly what he thinks is wrong with the wheels and compare those photos to yours.  Whether the wheels were in "awesome" condition or not is subjective; photos are not.

If you offered to take the wheels back and give him his money back you have done the right thing.  If you offered to pay all shipping costs, as well, then you can sleep well knowing you did everything possible to make the situation right.

If you think you can prove in court the condition of the wheels when shipped matched your photos then you have a path toward recovery.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zJn0MLNykeGfRd6ZrTH2BJIYtMgkiKaO5QIIZUM4Xa0muTaaAoTMfJpXYGWRdyCK