LuxInterior
LuxInterior Reader
6/9/14 12:30 p.m.

Saturday we ran our RX-7 with World Racing League at High plains raceway. I hadn't done my homework about WRL.

The event was well run. No contact allowed, no shiny happy persons on track or in the paddock. We ran our crapcan in GP3. Cars are classed by power to weight, not by dollar value. So a wide range of cars can be run. Tires are DOT 180+. Aero is open. Simple.

I didn't expect much beyond crapcans. But, a group of boxster spec cars raced in the event. It was their first ever enduro longer than 90 minutes. I talked with some of the boxster guys and they were friendly and great to talk to. Driving was clean. I didn't see any drivers who didn't know their shiny happy from an apex.

In my afternoon shift, I saw a pack of 3 boxsters drafting up the back straight, rapidly growing large in my rear view. I worked hard to make sure they didn't catch me until turn 6. I pointed them by in the chute between 6 & 7 and watched them blow past me, still in a tight pack. I've done 7 or 8 races in this crapcan. This one felt much more like a real race.

Pitted next to us, were a group of young racers (late teen - early twenties). They took second in GP3 in their 90s Subaru. They were incredibly excited. It was fun to watch.

noddaz
noddaz Dork
6/9/14 1:56 p.m.

Sounds like fun was had by all! Thank you for sharing one of the good things...

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
6/9/14 1:59 p.m.

Its good to hear positive things. I have been following them on facebook and it was sounding good, but this is a good confirmation.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior Reader
6/9/14 2:58 p.m.

It was huge fun.

One Porsche guy I talked with was a little nervous about Boxster transmission longevity in a 12 hour race... so they were planning to take it easy. They did.. for a while.

The fast guys in GP 1 were 15-18 seconds a lap faster than we were in our little GP 3 Miata-powered RX-7. We were lapped reasonabley often, so I tried to be extra gracious with the point-bys. I wanted to make the guys with the higher-dollar cars feel were safe racing next to our less-than-pristine Mazda.

Joey is talking about doing another WRL race this September at High Plains raceway. I want to do another one of these soon!

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
6/9/14 3:35 p.m.

More on this WRL?

LuxInterior
LuxInterior Reader
6/9/14 3:49 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: More on this WRL?

World Racing League Website

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
6/9/14 4:07 p.m.
LuxInterior wrote:
amg_rx7 wrote: More on this WRL?
World Racing League Website

Thanks. Interesting but too far. Seems like a small "world".

jt124
jt124 New Reader
6/9/14 7:44 p.m.

In reply to amg_rx7: No worries! We're starting off in the Central US this year but plan to expand. If we're not close by yet, just give us a little time. Our title sponsor - HAWK Performance -is all in and ready to support the series and our racers from coast to coast.

You can help! Spread the word, send our link to friends, send people to our Facebook page. You'll see our ads in GRM too, so share the mag! As you'll see, this series is for everyone who has a car that fits into our power-to-weight structure. Really cool to see the four Spec Boxters in the race this weekend (and the vaunted E36 still won GP1 class!!). Lux didn't mention that their RX7 landed on the podium in GP3. Classes allow you to bring virtually anything and race for the podium.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
6/9/14 7:50 p.m.

I have friends from Houston who race with them and love the group. I'm hoping to tag along to one of the races in the fall.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FiVFQdzhnEhL2486A61YtwGcu8LzQxLMBcj32QjnLWBlah1H9hLIrc62lIRFBz1o