1 2
FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
10/31/17 1:17 p.m.

Ok, I am sitting at work, looking at pumps and I get this really REALLY crazy idea.

Take a WRX.

Do the redneck ariel atom treatment to it like this vette.

And then slap an old Can-Am/Sports racer body on top of it.

You could do this to almost any crap box car, but the AWD of the WRX just made me post this stupidity.

Would you do it?

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
10/31/17 1:30 p.m.

It would look goofy since the body of a wrx is much higher than the can am. Even if you chop it.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
10/31/17 1:55 p.m.

Keep increasing wheel and tire size until it looks proportionally correct.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
10/31/17 2:12 p.m.

Nope.  I wouldn't.  Not a big fan of the WRX and you'll never get the nose low enough to really look right, even with the flat 4 in the front.  I suspect you'll end up with a flatulent fiberglass knock off of a Mclaren or a 917.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
10/31/17 2:19 p.m.

Sounds excellent to me!! I'd bet you could get the body close enough.

neon-cougar-4891
neon-cougar-4891 MegaDork
10/31/17 2:27 p.m.

My line of thought is the cart treatment is best limited to convertibles and would be exponentially more difficult when eliminating a roof and a second set of doors. Otherwise I would have done it to the W140 S400 my FIL traded his old truck for. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
10/31/17 2:30 p.m.

the WRX is very much a unibody car whereas the vette has a bit more frame structure as a part of its construction.

You would have to do a lot of cage work to shore up the structural rigidity, moreso than the vette I would think.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
10/31/17 2:42 p.m.

You would end up with a bad looking floppy mess. 

Crash Enburn
Crash Enburn New Reader
10/31/17 2:55 p.m.

Similarly, I've had thoughts of putting a body reminiscent of a Porsche 550 over the WRX chassis...  So, no, you're not alone in these thoughts. 

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
10/31/17 2:57 p.m.

Sure you could cage the Subi and cut away th body panels...But the engine overhang would necessitate a nose wildly out of proportion for sports racer bodywork.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
10/31/17 3:01 p.m.

In reply to fanfoy :that’s what she said...

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
10/31/17 3:08 p.m.

Maybe something more like this?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/31/17 3:13 p.m.

I wouldn't, both because i love me some wrx, and because I've had one that was chopped up and you're cutting away too much structure.  A c4 is a way better starting point too because real framerails and engine entirely behind front axle where in the wrx the whole deal dangles out the front.

Kreb
Kreb UltraDork
10/31/17 3:24 p.m.

Weight distribution. If you cut away the WRX body work you will probably end up with even more front bias than stock. My inclination would be to reverse everything. Get a Subaru Gears reversing pinion, hang the motor off the back and put the rear diff up front. The distribution will still be less than ideal, but more appropriate for a race car than the other way around. 

Kreb
Kreb UltraDork
10/31/17 3:39 p.m.

Speaking of the idea of reversing the drivetrain. Does anyone know what that would do to the torque split?

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
10/31/17 3:40 p.m.

So you're suggesting a backwards 911 turbo speedster with some missing cylinders.

EDIT: realization: it'd be a normal 911 turbo speedster with missing cylinders, and I think they call that a Carrera 4 now.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
10/31/17 3:45 p.m.

In reply to FlightService :

Plywood makes a nice looking can-am style body, FYI. Just don't bring it to the Challenge. 

neon-cougar-4891
neon-cougar-4891 MegaDork
10/31/17 8:25 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

Plywood makes a nice looking can-am style body, FYI. Just don't bring it to the Challenge. 

Did I miss something about plywood bodies and the challenge ?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
10/31/17 8:36 p.m.

There are YouTube guys converting them to RWD giving me my modern day Datsun 510.  

https://youtu.be/PWNOLHgaeOE

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
10/31/17 8:37 p.m.

What kind of pumps?  I used to sell a lot of pump connectors. 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/31/17 8:57 p.m.

Put the engine in the middle-front overhand problem reduced. Still have to deal with needing the height to mount the top of the struts.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
11/1/17 5:58 a.m.
Kreb said:

Weight distribution. If you cut away the WRX body work you will probably end up with even more front bias than stock. My inclination would be to reverse everything. Get a Subaru Gears reversing pinion, hang the motor off the back and put the rear diff up front. The distribution will still be less than ideal, but more appropriate for a race car than the other way around. 

You are a bad man with naughty ideas.

i like you

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
11/1/17 6:02 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Well I used to design and build barge pump packages in Louisiana.  Before that I worked doing hydraulic pumps and motors quality.

both of those positions were side duties to transmission and engine applications as well as few others.  I was the functional expert on CVTs and marine transmissions for my company.

now I work at the patent office.  If you submit an app and it says pumps it might land on my desk.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
11/1/17 6:03 a.m.
neon-cougar-4891 said:
Pete Gossett said:

What cougar said.

besides, plywood is too heavy and expensive.  Rigid foam does much better.  ;)

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
11/1/17 7:24 a.m.
FlightService said:
neon-cougar-4891 said:
Pete Gossett said:

What cougar said.

besides, plywood is too heavy and expensive.  Rigid foam does much better.  ;)

The $2016 Challenge. Beautiful car, but not exactly the safest racecar. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K3IyWJV9EuPcRpeGHoaJB3sZpjW3LU3Idg8QuWnhGpGTP4Y8sly8mi7HGF7Pg54x