1 2
FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
11/1/17 7:37 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

I remember the car, was it kicked, banned or caused a rule change?  If you are looking for fire hazards, its not like it is much worse than fiberglass.  

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
11/1/17 9:11 a.m.

In reply to FlightService :

It wasn't specifically the fire hazard. The impalement hazard somewhat. The wooden drivers seat, and questionable steering & brake setups were also mentioned from what I remember. 

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
11/1/17 10:58 a.m.
Kreb said:

Weight distribution. If you cut away the WRX body work you will probably end up with even more front bias than stock. My inclination would be to reverse everything. Get a Subaru Gears reversing pinion, hang the motor off the back and put the rear diff up front. The distribution will still be less than ideal, but more appropriate for a race car than the other way around. 

I've often wondered just how much the front weight bias problem could be overcome by simply using a reverse tire stagger, with wider front tires than rear.  Maybe less 'ideal' for winning races than reversing everything, if all else is equal, but also with a LOT less expense and unnecessary complications involved to do so...Especially since all else is rarely equal anyway.  

Edited to clarify intent.

Kreb
Kreb UltraDork
11/1/17 12:00 p.m.
Driven5 said:
Kreb said:

Weight distribution. If you cut away the WRX body work you will probably end up with even more front bias than stock. My inclination would be to reverse everything. Get a Subaru Gears reversing pinion, hang the motor off the back and put the rear diff up front. The distribution will still be less than ideal, but more appropriate for a race car than the other way around. 

I've often wondered just how much that could be overcome by simply using a reverse tire stagger, with wider front tires than rear.  Maybe less 'ideal' for winning races than reversing everything, if all else is equal, but also with a LOT less expense and unnecessary complications involved to do so...Especially since all else is rarely equal anyway.  

Given that's the opposite from how Porsche does it, I'm pretty skeptical. Having the front wheels driven might help counteract the inherent tendency of rear-engined cars to spin, however.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
11/1/17 12:28 p.m.

In reply to Kreb :

I think you misread my statement.  The noted problem is weight distribution in the Subaru layout.  You offered the potential solution of trying to convert the entire drivetrain to run in reverse with a Porsche layout.  I offered an alternative potential solution that would keep the Subaru layout.  In other words, do it the opposite of how Porsche does it, because it's essentially the opposite of a Porsche.

Kreb
Kreb UltraDork
11/1/17 12:32 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

That whiff you heard was your post going right over my head. I think that your idea holds merit.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
11/1/17 12:46 p.m.

I had (and still have) plans to do exactly this with a toyota previa.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
11/1/17 1:08 p.m.

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

chopped outhouse with slick body.  I like it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
osi51YLefuSejL05gecF92lQhWgjwluZWMEiIYBwkZgc00D1j3ai56Ejd71jsn7P