1 2 3
snipes
snipes New Reader
12/16/08 3:03 p.m.

I posted a few of these pictures already, but I thought I would put them all in one thread.

The first photos are from when I picked the car up. The motor dropped a valve in 1997 and the car has sat since then with out a motor since. I guess I've had the car for 4 or 5 months now. I am working on it at a friends house but will bring it home soon. Anyway I know people will ask me why I am doing this to a PORSCHE! But I am not so worried about that. I want a 911 that I can afford to take to the track. So after looking and realizing that most things for a porsche are available and cheap, exempt the engine I got to thinking. Well I can not afford to rebuild a porsche motor or make a 3 liter 911 motor make 250WHP, but I can afford to do that with a Subaru engine. So in the end I hope to build a 911 for the same amount it would cost me to build a fast Nissan 240. It may however take a little more work.

snipes
snipes New Reader
12/16/08 3:11 p.m.

snipes
snipes New Reader
12/16/08 3:13 p.m.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x HalfDork
12/16/08 3:13 p.m.

you said pics?

There they are....

aircooled
aircooled Dork
12/16/08 3:30 p.m.

Where are you going to put the radiator? I guess you could use a water cooled 993 as a guideline, maybe even find some crash parts.

dyintorace
dyintorace HalfDork
12/16/08 3:41 p.m.
snipes wrote: Anyway I know people will ask me why I am doing this to a PORSCHE!

Ahh...not on this board. You're more likely to hear hell berkeleying yes rather than why do that to a Porsche.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
12/16/08 4:15 p.m.

For myself I preferred the H6 build that was on Pelican a year or so ago, but nothing wrong with the WRX choice. The Porsche engine is great, but just too damn expensive to rebuild when the time comes, particularly on an older and somewhat ratty one. Add this to the list of huge projects I'd like to undertake but never will.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
12/16/08 4:16 p.m.

sweet project

hell berkeleying yes!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
12/16/08 4:44 p.m.

Blasphemy!

snipes
snipes New Reader
12/16/08 4:48 p.m.

d davidv I know the H6 build you are talking about. That was a nice build and will probably be nicer than my car (more time, money, and skill). The H6 would make a MUCH better street car. I chose this motor for a number a reasons.

1. I know the motor. I road in and drove its former home many times be for it met its end.
  2. It is lighter in just the correct place to make a big difference.
  3. I have a Legacy GT with the 2.5 turbo and I always think how nice it would be to have the motor in a car that is 1000# lighter.
  4. I like turbo cars.
  5. A 912 Turbo badge would be funny.
  6. Oh the motor was cheap and in town.

I will however hate to loose the wonderful flat 6 sound and torque.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair Dork
12/16/08 5:48 p.m.

yeah, the flat six sound is sweet, but the look on the pourche-bags faces will be sweeter. in other words, hell berkeleying yes!

dyintorace
dyintorace HalfDork
12/16/08 7:23 p.m.

I can't find the thread on the guy who was building a Porscharu with the SVX motor. Anyone have a link? This thread has inspired me again.

Woody
Woody Dork
12/16/08 7:34 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: I can't find the thread on the guy who was building a Porscharu with the SVX motor. Anyone have a link? This thread has inspired me again.

That thread was on the old board. He also was trying to start a forum of his own. I think he went by steve33 or steved33.

There's also this guy: http://www.projectaerosol.com/porubi/

Woody
Woody Dork
12/16/08 7:37 p.m.

On second thought, that Steve guy that I'm thinking wasn't using an SVX engine, I think his was a 2.2.

dyintorace
dyintorace HalfDork
12/16/08 8:02 p.m.

This is the one I was thinking of: http://archive.grassrootsmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=32197

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
12/16/08 9:07 p.m.

That's awesome. I'm also interested in where you'll put the radiator, and very interested in how this turns out.

benzbaron
benzbaron New Reader
12/16/08 9:16 p.m.

Getting anything in the car and getting it moving and on the road will preserve it better than letting it sit. Sounds cool! I'd probably keep the wrecked engine in case you ever want to go back. Sweet though! I love the sound of a blown subbie. I've heard porsches are even more expensive to maintain that a mercedes so good luck!

byron12
byron12 New Reader
12/16/08 10:27 p.m.

Yes this project is the E36 M3 I love it.

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
12/17/08 12:30 a.m.

Agreed, Subies sound awesome. I think they match the "image" of Porsches just fine.

Woody
Woody Dork
12/17/08 5:40 a.m.
dyintorace wrote: This is the one I was thinking of: http://archive.grassrootsmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=32197

That car showed up on e-Bay a couple of times. I don't think it sold. As I recall, he was looking for $10k.

Jake
Jake HalfDork
12/17/08 9:26 a.m.
MitchellC wrote: Agreed, Subies sound awesome. I think they match the "image" of Porsches just fine.

Who cares if the motor "goes-" if you're saving an old 911 from rusting back into the earth and putting it back on the road, then that's at least 5 steps better than leaving it to rot away.

Besides- the flat-4 out of a WRX sounds AWESOME with the exhaust uncorked. I hear you make more power with a new header, but the unequal length of the runners on the stock design is what makes the sound.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
12/17/08 9:32 a.m.

may the motor gods bless you

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/17/08 7:24 p.m.

This is a RAD project. Subaru engines in old Porsches seem like a match made in heaven to me. The conversions I've seen online look awesome.

Keep us posted on the progress of this one. Are you going to make it look "nice" or is it going to be more of a rat???

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
12/17/08 7:44 p.m.

I wish I could find a cheap old Porsche body....

would do very very bad things to it.

Ryan9118
Ryan9118 HalfDork
12/17/08 7:46 p.m.

Can't the radiator be put up front, like in an MR2 or something?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X6VD58RcYd7QPGzpvkTgY4RHoS1jzRmz6ODAR29MPoQKYJjETUpjoxeZn3cgzi5M