1 2
pres589
pres589 Reader
11/6/09 11:49 a.m.

There are a lot of interesting comments in this thread. The only one I will add is this; America does not need unions because America knows that history never repeats itself.

alfadriver
alfadriver HalfDork
11/6/09 1:05 p.m.

One thing to consider- for the concessions that the GM and Chrysler workers got, they also got equity in the company. I have no real idea what was in the contract that was just voted down, but had it contained an equity toward the workers, they may have accepted.

The "reductions" were not for nothing. How the UAW uses that money will be interesting, but just remember that the equity was part of the deal.

E-

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
11/7/09 1:43 a.m.

There's a balance that needs to be reached between workers' rights and the company's best interest. Unions should have these two interests in mind all the time because they go hand-in-hand. If the company does badly, so do the workers. The UAW's crazy demands illustrate their myopic view of the world. Sure, forcing Ford to spend another $30,000,000.00 on their employees this year might help the workers this year, but when Ford has to cut $30,000,000.00 from something to make up for it, their products will suffer and so will Ford. When Ford hits the bottom again, the workers lose.

This union represents legalized organized crime. It's despicable.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
5/5/11 8:41 p.m.

arse canoe

fasted58
fasted58 Reader
5/5/11 10:12 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL1AgOqnYYE

Todays safety meeting: remember to duck

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
7/23/11 8:02 p.m.

As I noted earlier this week... the union I am a part of just got shafted out of 25% of it's pay.. we were expecting to stand pat with no raises.. not a serious reduction.

Just imagine what we would be paid with no unions at all?

Actually I can. Trump Taj was preparing to lock out the IA.. they had secretly hired non-union people to do the job at about a third the pay

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CW8N0cvN1x8rRxbLxug8Z4K6yc0cr76u6jym9h68DNyU8kt3mJDurReMTFmy8n4n