rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
9/21/21 8:06 p.m.

In this crazy used car market, what is the value or what would you pay for an 03 four-cylinder Toyota Camry LE with 88,000 miles?

Seller is proud of the condition.. looks good in pictures.  He says it comes with service records. Will see!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/21/21 8:08 p.m.

I would expect $9-10k pre Covid.  Camries have stupid resale value.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
9/21/21 8:26 p.m.

4 or V6

V6 per NADA here is 5500 max. Maybe more with COVID

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
9/21/21 8:31 p.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
9/21/21 8:37 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/21/21 8:38 p.m.

Does it need an exhaust manifold (primary cat)?

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
9/21/21 8:38 p.m.

4k seems reasonable. Camry value isn't that high. 

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
9/21/21 8:53 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Owner says nothing is wrong. No problems. Why do you ask if it needs an exhaust manifold?

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
9/21/21 8:56 p.m.

Are you going to find something better than that for four grand?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/21/21 9:00 p.m.
rustybugkiller said:

Owner says nothing is wrong. No problems. Why do you ask if it needs an exhaust manifold?

Common failure around that age on the four cylinder.  Youngstown is in a non emissions area so a glowing MIL may not be considered when saying "runs fine".

It just seems odd to me that it's cheaper than an Avalon and Avalons seem to be worth half as much as a Camry...

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
9/21/21 9:13 p.m.

No lights.. Was a code last year for evap but changed gas cap and disappeared 

I am a little concerned since most of these are going for considerably more with around 150,000 miles. I don't like the idea that I have to meet him somewhere to look at the car. I won't be able to see how the car runs when it's cold.  Talking to him, I get the impression he's not in the mood to deal with tire kickers.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
9/21/21 10:10 p.m.

If it isn't rusted out and it runs well, that's a good price.

paddygarcia
paddygarcia Reader
9/21/21 10:20 p.m.

It could just be a good deal from someone who hasn't deeply researched the market, or wants to avoid hassle. My 4runner was that way, the guy figured out from the volume of calls that he was about 2-3k under market but stuck with his price, I stuck with being a low-drama buyer, done deal.

I always meet in a neutral place so that's not a flag IMO.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/22/21 4:03 a.m.

I say that $5k is the new $3k.  This car is a good price in this crazy new market.  Anything that runs and drives seems to bring a minimum of $5k.  I bet this Camry could bring $6.5k if all is right with it.

I can't zoom in enough to read the dates on the title but maybe year 2020?  Ohio titles went to this blue paper just a few years ago,  before that they were a tan color.  So, the current owner has owned this car less than 2 years-ish.

Other than that, just standard car shopping.  Look for rust and condition of tires. Four tires can easily be a $500 expense.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
9/22/21 4:29 a.m.

I can't see myself ever offering actual money for a Camry, but $3500, MAYBE $4,000. But life is too short to buy boring cars. 

Opti
Opti Dork
9/22/21 8:17 a.m.

Around here Im seeing 4-5 for 150-250K miles on those. A buddy sold a much higher mileage and much rattier one for 4500. So my guess would be 6-7 to the right guy, that looking for the lower mileage.

Im not saying Id pay that but someone might

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/22/21 8:21 a.m.

I looked at the picture of the title on a real laptop.  It seems to say:

Purchased: 9-3-2020  with 85,335 miles for $2,000

The low price could have been a fake price to save on Ohio sales tax, but...

9-3-2020 it had 85,335 miles and now exactly 1 year and 3 weeks later it has 89,000 miles.  I guess that could be real as we all are driving less.  Might be the reason for selling.  Just under 4k miles in the past year.

I also dropped the vin into the Toyota Owners site but it returned with no dealer service records.  That doesn't mean it hasn't been serviced but just that it hasn't been serviced at a Toyota Dealership (in recent years.)

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
9/22/21 8:39 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks!

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
9/22/21 9:30 a.m.

I'd guess any fully functioning Toyota with under 100k is worth $5k

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
9/22/21 9:46 a.m.

I've been shopping the under $6k market for a bit.  Will probably end up getting something at the end of next month because we could really use a second car.  From what I've seen that's a a decent deal/price.  Down here in the south, that would at least be a $5k car.  I agree with John that $5k is the new $3k for used cars.

-Rob

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
9/22/21 9:46 a.m.

Just got done checking the car out. It was exactly as he had presented it. Very clean, rust free for a northeastern Ohio car.

First time driving a Camry and unfortunately it drives like a big marsh mellow. I'm used to civics and miatas and like Dr boost said,it's too boring for a daily. 

I probably could have flipped it but too busy right now. 

Thanks for the help. Picky me will keep looking. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gex9n4APAxNrUY8af6jfY3a0Vjrr1xPixuUwztk2cOKI7qCqJz5cySs4gayod1Fe