Excellent.

fornetti14
fornetti14 Reader
5/30/10 6:10 p.m.

Is that a stock lower front spoiler?

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
5/30/10 9:05 p.m.

Im going to have to agree, I dont think you should destroy a classic car. People can do whatever they want, but look at how much the cleaner ones are going for on bring a trailer already.

angusmf
angusmf Reader
6/1/10 10:51 a.m.
fornetti14 wrote: Is that a stock lower front spoiler?

I think so.

Travis_K said: Im going to have to agree, I dont think you should destroy a classic car. People can do whatever they want, but look at how much the cleaner ones are going for on bring a trailer already.

I'm not destroying the car. That's what the Vortex kids would be doing to it right now. I'm doing what VW should have done with it. As for its value, who cares? If the world was clamoring for this car, I wouldn't have been able to afford it.

angusmf
angusmf Reader
6/10/10 9:59 a.m.

The Audi is in my garage now. I haven't started tearing it apart yet because the garage needs a little work, but I'm getting close. I've been able to do some measuring and imagining, and I'm getting a better idea of how this is going to go together. I know basically where the engine, intercooler and radiator are going to go. After I get the engine sitting in the bay I'll be able to figure out the rest.

I've made some good parts purchases recently. I bought a gallon of gloss white Rustoleum at walmart for about $26 bucks, and a few cans of green and red paint so I can do my Mexican flag paint job. I bought a Celica air-water intercooler for $40 this morning, and some ballast resistors to use with the DSM fuel injectors for $2.90, and lots of other FI things here and there.

More to come.

---edit---

Almost forgot. Someone offered me a free Scirocco parts car through a friend. Don't know anything more about it, but free is good.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
6/10/10 9:21 p.m.
angusmf wrote: Almost forgot. Someone offered me a free Scirocco parts car through a friend. Don't know anything more about it, but free is good.

dude, you're going to destroy the value of that free car just by looking at it...

angusmf
angusmf Reader
6/11/10 9:46 a.m.

I'm a destructive guy.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
6/11/10 10:22 a.m.
angusmf wrote: Almost forgot. Someone offered me a free Scirocco parts car through a friend. Don't know anything more about it, but free is good.

If it's an '81-down and has a good right door, I need it!

ansonivan
ansonivan Reader
6/11/10 10:27 a.m.

Doing something interesting with a Scirocco? Oh noes!

angusmf
angusmf Reader
6/11/10 10:44 a.m.
16vCorey wrote: If it's an '81-down and has a good right door, I need it!

I think it's an '80. I'll check out the door.

angusmf
angusmf Reader
6/14/10 1:24 p.m.

I picked up the '81 this weekend. I didn't have time to look it over much, but it's more denty than it looked in the pictures. Also, I'm revising the name to UrDos.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
6/14/10 1:40 p.m.

Even if your spare door is denty, I'll take it. Mine has massive rust holes in it.

angusmf
angusmf Reader
6/14/10 2:23 p.m.

Sure thing. We left him a VM Saturday and haven't heard back yet, though.

angusmf
angusmf Reader
6/17/10 12:36 p.m.

Still no word on the free Scirocco. I need to give him a call myself.

I've very nearly changed my mind about using the '81 S for my project. It would become a wife car instead. The free Scirocco could be the Challenge car, although I have no idea of the condition. I also have a free '87 Golf at my disposal. I'm not super excited about using the Golf, but it would free up room in the budget for things like a cheapo t3/t04e turbo, home-made header and big-valve head. My A2/Coraddo suspension parts would be easier to fit, and the slightly wider body would swallow more of the Audi suspension. Might be easier to mount the engine since it already has a subframe.

I kinda wish I could find a dirt-cheap New Beetle shell. How cool would that look with smoke pouring out of the rear wheel wells?

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
6/17/10 12:42 p.m.
angusmf wrote:
fornetti14 wrote: Is that a stock lower front spoiler?
I think so.
Travis_K said: Im going to have to agree, I dont think you should destroy a classic car. People can do whatever they want, but look at how much the cleaner ones are going for on bring a trailer already.
I'm not destroying the car. That's what the Vortex kids would be doing to it right now. I'm doing what VW should have done with it. As for its value, who cares? If the world was clamoring for this car, I wouldn't have been able to afford it.

My $.02: Scratch the initial plan. Beat that berkeleyer like it owes you money, then light it on fire and roll it off a cliff.

angusmf
angusmf Reader
6/17/10 12:52 p.m.

Word. And as it turns out, there are a E36 M3-ton of first gen Sciroccos for sale on Vortex right now. I could burn all of them.

Timeormoney
Timeormoney New Reader
6/17/10 1:41 p.m.
angusmf wrote: I picked up the '81 this weekend. I didn't have time to look it over much, but it's more denty than it looked in the pictures. Also, I'm revising the name to UrDos.

Denty, I like that description. It should be a new standard for Craiglist, Great paint, perfect condition, 4/5 on the denty scale.

stan
stan SuperDork
6/18/10 6:37 a.m.
16vCorey wrote: Even if your spare door is denty, I'll take it. Mine has massive rust holes in it.

As it turns out I went and looked at a '79 yesterday. The rear suspension is rusted beyond (for most of us) repair, but it would make a great parts car. I remember reading this thread, but couldn't remember which door you were interested in and took a picture of the driver's door. It's not bad rusty and I'd bet the passenger door is about the same. Let me know if you -or anyone else- is interested.

It's located near Fairborn, Ohio.

Stan

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
6/18/10 9:38 a.m.

I'm very interested, as long as it's cheap and I can figure out how to get it home.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N3VuJiAtxbwAN8a3ThIRW3w9LdaZkSFSznOGMNCdCznSwwjGp5TGctW4jRMsuPNx