1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
4/13/21 3:13 p.m.
feature_image

Yamaha’s latest foray into electric powerplants? A 350-kW motor “intended for installation and use in hyper-EVs and other high-output applications.”

Just how much power is 350 kW? Roughly 469 horsepower. And that’s just per motor: “The main feature of this newly devel…

Read the rest of the story

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/13/21 3:22 p.m.

This is the sort of stuff I've been looking forward to. Remove the current differential, stuff this thing in its place, add halfshafts and electricity, enjoy.

Next step: develop a bolt-in replacement for a Ford 9 inch :) 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/13/21 3:23 p.m.

I'll take two, please. (But I'm going to mount them in the LF and RR positions.)

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) UberDork
4/13/21 3:51 p.m.

It appears to have a spin on oil filter. Which is nice.

jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter)
jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/13/21 4:37 p.m.

Yeah, that's the ticket!  I'd say the only way you could improve on that is a battery pack and controller that is roughly the size of a small block v8 and transmission, and can be bolted to the factory engine mounts.  From there run some big orange cables where the driveshaft used to be, and show it some open roads!

I'm really ready for this bright future \o/

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/13/21 5:25 p.m.
jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter) said:

Yeah, that's the ticket!  I'd say the only way you could improve on that is a battery pack and controller that is roughly the size of a small block v8 and transmission, and can be bolted to the factory engine mounts.  From there run some big orange cables where the driveshaft used to be, and show it some open roads!

I'm really ready for this bright future \o/

I'm on board with this plan, it's good.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/13/21 5:28 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I like the cut of your jib, and not just because I happen to have a 9" in teh RX-7...

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
4/13/21 5:44 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

And the GM optimum batteries are supposedly going to be modular with focus towards EV swaps.

It's happening boyos

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/13/21 6:13 p.m.

I want to get together with some industrial design friends and come up with the look of Jerry's SBC battery pack. Make it look kinda like an SBC, but very cyberpunk and electric. Because it IS cyberpunk for reals. I dig it.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
4/13/21 6:40 p.m.

will these be sold to the public ?

any guess on price ?   $15k each for the motor only ?

jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter)
jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/13/21 7:36 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I want to get together with some industrial design friends and come up with the look of Jerry's SBC battery pack. Make it look kinda like an SBC, but very cyberpunk and electric. Because it IS cyberpunk for reals. I dig it.

It’s kinda what ICON did with the “engine” for their 49 Merc EV and I’ve always admired how nicely they packaged their conversion.  This is actually Tesla batteries in a classic V formation with the battery controllers and cooling all up front. Always thought this treaded the line between retro and futuristic pretty nicely.

The actual motor is low in the transmission tunnel and looks to be connected directly to the diff via a conventional driveshaft.

Keith I like your idea of mounting the motor in the diff itself, though I suppose unsprung weight might be a concern.  Packaging would be easier for the average hobbyist though since it’d be bolt-in.  And let’s be honest, if you have a solid axle you’ve already given up the war on unsprung weight.  

Props to ICON though for switching to an IRS rear, which is more work to fab, but is a real advantage to mounting the motor where the trans would normally go. I could see this as a good option for packaging a conversion (even if the solid axle is retained) as well.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
4/13/21 7:47 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Donuts that are within your wheelbase. I like it. 

malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
4/14/21 4:31 a.m.

This could be alot of fun

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/14/21 7:22 a.m.

Stuff like this is so cool. I hope that this technology gets cheep enough fast enough that back yard conversions become a real thing. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/14/21 7:26 a.m.

How much torque does that motor make?  I did some reading but I don't see it stated. 

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
4/14/21 9:21 a.m.
dean1484 said:

Stuff like this is so cool. I hope that this technology gets cheep enough fast enough that back yard conversions become a real thing. 

Yeah, I don't generally care much about the hyper-expensive-cars and sub 2s 0-60 time this is targeting. I'll actually get excited once sub $100/kWh battery packs with continuous (or at least prolonged) max motor discharge cooling capability become available direct to the consumer, along with the motors and all of the plug-and-play electronics (including regenerative braking and traction control that can be adjusted and/or disabled) required to run it. 

This is a good indicator we're heading in that direction though, and gives me cautious optimism that we might even get there in the next few years.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/14/21 9:48 a.m.

All I see is 4wd burnouts. cool

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
4/14/21 9:51 a.m.
singleslammer said:

Even more entertaining if you can adjust them to run opposite directions. LF forward and RR reverse.

Rocambolesque
Rocambolesque Reader
4/14/21 11:19 a.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:

All I see is 4wd burnouts. cool

Front axle in drive, rear axle in reverse!

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/14/21 11:30 a.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:

It appears to have a spin on oil filter. Which is nice.

Which is also high mounted, so when you take it off it spill oil all over the case, which probably gets into the valley area and of corse eventually collects a bunch of dust/dirt.... argh...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/14/21 11:36 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

The filter probably only needs to be changed every 60k-100k or so.

I assume that it's only there in the first place because the motor is swimming in the lube oil/coolant, and any metallic particles in the oil making it conductive is probably a bad thing...  That's the only reason I can think of for a filter on a gearbox.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/14/21 12:52 p.m.
singleslammer said:

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
4/14/21 1:21 p.m.

Looks tiny.

(Thanks McMike)

I love it. Drop it into a car like my MINI Roadster with a 60kWh battery pack and get a really fun electric sports car. Or in a Miata...

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltimaDork
4/14/21 1:29 p.m.

This is the cool future. I can't wait, I love wiring stuff.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/14/21 1:40 p.m.

Yamaha High-Output Motor...  Is Ford going to bring back the Taurus SHO as an EV?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SWhc23HAASCjBnCvR2fFQic6yBA8GOaMKvqvhz35n0i7Ucp8aeqp8uzzgKRIWjo7