GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/4/15 1:50 p.m.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/11/yamaha-sports-ride-concept/

Speedhunters photographers are too good to take 3/4 shots like a bunch of philistines, so here you go:

I wonder if it could really meet safety requirements at under 1700lbs...might be possible but it would definitely require lots of CF which would drive the price up. I don't think unvented motorcycle-style brakes have a chance at making it to production even though they could do the job on a car this light, with a brake vent system. It could make a good Lotus Elise/Exige/Alfa 4C competitor if produced.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
11/4/15 2:03 p.m.

If you put ducting vents to the bike rotors, it would be more than enough.......normal people wouldn't like paying for bike rotors & pads however(upwards of 200 per axle for pads, 400+ per rotor)

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
11/4/15 2:22 p.m.

I thought that Yamaha and Toyota had co-operative/no compete agreement? I remember reading about a super high-tech R&D center that they share somewhere in the Japanese countryside. IIRC, the deal was they would share tech breakthroughs, Yamaha wouldn't build cars, and Toyota would stay out of Marine, robotics, motorcycles ect.

I guess that just means that if it gets produced it will be sold as a Toyota.

mr2peak
mr2peak Dork
11/4/15 2:25 p.m.

Yamaha builds some awesome stuff, I would be all taking this for a drive. You know it's going to rev to the moon!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/4/15 2:28 p.m.

I would sell my left nut and yours for that.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
11/4/15 2:50 p.m.

Do they accept kidneys as down payment?

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture PowerDork
11/4/15 2:54 p.m.

I still prefer their last car, the OX99-11.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse HalfDork
11/4/15 3:14 p.m.

If Yamaha gets in the auto game (which i strongly support) then Toyota should get into the bike game. (Which I also support!)

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
11/4/15 3:34 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote: If Yamaha gets in the auto game (which i strongly support) then Toyota should get into the bike game. (Which I also support!)

They did....

Sorta....not really....like this Yamaha car.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture PowerDork
11/4/15 3:37 p.m.

It's really a shame Yamaha's F1 ambitions never amounted to much, as they seem like an outfit that would be a natural fit for the field. They really gave it a go in the 90's but could never make it amount to anything other than a few almost historic events (Damon Hill in the '97 Arrows comes to mind).

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
11/4/15 8:01 p.m.

I would buy the living e36m3 out of this if toyota brought it to market, I might buy 2. One I'd build N/A and one I'd boost

Furious_E
Furious_E Reader
11/4/15 9:07 p.m.

Ooooh I really like that. Like a lot

I remember reading about Gordon Murray's Istream monococue/space frame carbon fiber chassis deal a few years back and thinking it sounded like a pretty solid concept for bringing CF down to a fairly reasonable price point. Any guesses what this might cost? I think a 4C competitor with better (read Japanese) engineering could certainly sell.

NickD
NickD Reader
11/5/15 9:19 a.m.

Wow, the front of that thing is hideous. Looks like the FT-1 and the new NSX had a bastard child.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
11/5/15 10:08 a.m.

That looks sweet but what are the chances it ever makes it to production? I like the tailpipes, looks exactly like their bikes. Very alfa-ish styling in the front, my initial thoughts were that is was based on a 4C before reading the article.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gtUHHJIoiJclBUCOZScuxdV4adEjr2QQcH2cTJDUzLB3vcsdGKavo7DS7RBGC0wK