1 2
m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
9/30/20 9:03 a.m.

So my oldest kid moved out and in with him mom, he'll be 19 in October.  He doesn't yet have his license (finally has the road exam next week) and will need a car so he can get a job.

I'm selling my GMC Motorhome and will buy him something in the 2-3k range.  He'll be responsible for his own insurance.

Requirements:

1. Autotragic
  2. Reliable
  3. Economical

Beyond those 3, doesn't matter much as long as we can get something not beat to hell.  

Now, I tend towards obscure, so this is not my wheelhouse.

What should I be looking for?

Side note.. kid #2 and I will start working on her first car, Bill's old manual trans GTV6, in the next month.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports Reader
9/30/20 9:06 a.m.

Toyota Camry

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
9/30/20 9:17 a.m.

Maserati Biturbo.   

Too soon?

Really, how about a high mile Prius. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/30/20 9:19 a.m.

Small and Korean. Most everything built in the last 3-7 years is good stuff but doesn't carry the Toyota/Honda premium. 

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
9/30/20 9:30 a.m.
Sonic said:

Maserati Biturbo.   

Too soon?

Never too soon.

I could get the girl to drive one, but the boy doesn't like stuff that is "too old."  If he didn't look so much like me I'd have to question if he was mine.  

bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/30/20 9:32 a.m.

I would say the best elantra you can afford. I got my Ex-MIL one 11 years ago that wasn't new then and it's still running like a champ with minimal maintainence required. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
9/30/20 9:47 a.m.

Insert "The Answer" here.

Edit. Hows the motorhome run? Would be able to stay closer to work and limit commute if he parked it in the parking lot.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/30/20 9:52 a.m.

Honestly, in the <$3k market, there is no recommended brand / model.  The best car is whatever individual specimen you can find with the best service history and cleanliness, almost regardless of make / model.

In that price range, the boy is going to have to adjust his expectations of "too old" to mean "no older than 2000".

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
9/30/20 9:58 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Small and Korean. Most everything built in the last 3-7 years is good stuff but doesn't carry the Toyota/Honda premium. 

This.

But avoid anything with a CVT. They're all crap.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
9/30/20 9:59 a.m.

In reply to m4ff3w :

Have you shopped low priced cars in this post covid world?  I am convinced that what used to be a $3k car is now a $5k car.  My best advise is to search FB/CL multiple times per day, sort FB to list the newest ads first.  Be ready to strike.  Inventory sells quick in this price range.  Have the cash at home.  Expect that you will have to buy in a "one and done" sort of fashion.  If you think you'll come back to see the car, it will be gone.  

To buy in your price range you might have to buy something with a problem that the current owner doesn't want to deal with.  In this range of "transportation", I like the '01-10 Ford Focus.  If the steering wheel shakes like mad at idle, it needs a passenger side front motor mount.  Only replace with a Ford unit, the aftermarket units are even weaker than the real thing.  

Another car that can be bought "under value" is the Chevy HHR.  The look is polarizing given the "old-timey" styling. The wagon-ness is useful.  The ability to see out is poor.  The seating is tight/narrow because to get the bulged fender look they did not widen the car but rather they moved the seats inward.  Underneath it all is standard GM parts bin (for all of that which is both good and bad.)  

The Nissan Versa back to 2007 is good transportation.  These came in a base model known as the S and an upper model known as a SL.  The tip here is to avoid the SL because it was outfitted with a CVT auto while the base was only offered with a 4 speed traditional auto.  Spotters guide is the SL will always have alloys (S got hubcaps) and the SL has a tweed-ish seat cloth that generally has multiple color fibers where the S got a single color, almost mousy, monotone velour cloth.  

More than choosing a car, your going to have to choose from what's available and be ready to move quickly.  

Another thing to keep in mind at this low end of the market... These entry models can often be so void of content that Cruise Control was an option.  Be sure to verify the presence of cruise control if that is important to you.  

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/30/20 10:22 a.m.

Couple of years ago I found a $2500 Accord for the older step daughter.  2000 model but fully loaded, everything worked and it had just 110,000 miles on it.

Last year I found a 2007 Ford Five Hundred.  $3,000 and only 75K miles. 

Both were former grandma cars and have been perfect for uninterested drivers.  Search for "grandma" in marketplace and CL, you should find something that suits the need.

9/30/20 10:27 a.m.

Another thing to remember is to shop cars that are "out of vouge".  Everyone these days wants a SUV and they will all be priced high because of it.  However, not much of the world is looking for a Buick Lesabre sedan.  Samples like '05 w/ 95k for $3k

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
9/30/20 11:07 a.m.

I agree with Vigo and John. I'd get whatever I could find with good maintenance history and be ready to act fast. In my area, you pretty much cannot get a PPI from a mechanic at this price range. If you do, you will lose the car. But it's been that way for a few years now in my experience. Be prepared to drive a few hours for something good.

I see 2000ish Mazda Protege sedans a lot for around $2k. Reliable and fun to drive with decent MPGs.

Same with the Focus. Similar to the Protege and far more common.

All my cars are in this price range, so I look a lot.

My mind is still scared of Korean cars, but it's probably unfair.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
9/30/20 12:51 p.m.

Pacifica? Any Saturn? 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
9/30/20 1:03 p.m.
Duke said:

Honestly, in the <$3k market, there is no recommended brand / model.  The best car is whatever individual specimen you can find with the best service history and cleanliness, almost regardless of make / model.

In that price range, the boy is going to have to adjust his expectations of "too old" to mean "no older than 2000".

Agreed, I'd probably just punch the price range, minimum year, and automatic transmission into the various car classified sites and see what isn't completely beat. I kind of like John Welsh's idea about Buicks in this range - they'd typically have a crude cast-iron motor under the hood, and their reputation as a little old lady car helps with both low prices and finding one that's been taken decent care of.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
9/30/20 3:27 p.m.

I like the Buick idea! 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
9/30/20 3:31 p.m.
Sonic said:

2nd gen Prius is just a hell of a car for the money. Reliable, comfy enough, economical, cheap to work on, and plenty of cargo area.

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
9/30/20 3:33 p.m.

toyota avalon. Same drivetrain as the v6 camry but doesnt carry the camry tax

9/30/20 3:41 p.m.

I love my multiple Gen2 Prius, but, you probably won't find one you want for under $3k. Closer to $5k. 

Edit: much to my surprise 09 asking $3,900.  Not quite $5k but not quite $3k

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
9/30/20 4:24 p.m.

What are the major differences between 1g and 2g Prius

9/30/20 4:32 p.m.

Gen1 is a sedan/trunk.  Gen2 is a hatch.  

Gen1 is a tiny car best used for city errands.  Gen2 is considered a car having a mid sized interior volume.  The hybrid  battery on the GEn2 is so much better.  The Gen1 only sold for a couple of years and in small volume.  The Gen2 was the huge seller that proved hybrid to be feasible.  Millions were sold.  Parts are readily available.  

The main reason to not buy a Gen1 is that the Gen2 is a so much better car.  

My Gen2 Prius thread

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
9/30/20 4:37 p.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

Gen1 is a sedan/trunk.  Gen2 is a hatch.  

Gen1 is a tiny car best used for city errands.  Gen2 is considered a car having a mid sized interior volume.  The hybrid  battery on the GEn2 is so much better.  The Gen1 only sold for a couple of years and in small volume.  The Gen2 was the huge seller that proved hybrid to be feasible.  Millions were sold.  Parts are readily available.  

The main reason to not buy a Gen1 is that the Gen2 is a so much better car.  

Oh, now I remember the Gen1.  I'd forgotten about it.

There are quite a few gen2 in the range I'm looking at.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/30/20 10:19 p.m.

They aren't common anymore, but if you look in the old-people parts of town you should be able to find a Tercel, Hyundai, or Mazda 323 that isn't high on miles.  Same goes for Corollas.  See if you can find a Geo Prizm in good shape.  It's a corolla.

When you say cheap and reliable, I look to the older stuff that has been babied.  My 94 Mazda B4000 had 86k on it when I bought.  With minor exceptions (clutch, leaking rear main, and some aging ignition parts) it has been very reliable.

Newer, cheap, reliable.  Pick two.  You can get cheap and reliable if you go old from Grandma.  You can get new and reliable but not cheap.  You can get new and cheap, but it will have a bazillion miles on it and not be reliable.

It's a shame you just missed a perfect example.  My ex wife just sold an 04 xB with around 180k.  She had a minor fender bender that pushed the radiator back putting a pinhole in it.  The overheat light came on, she parked it, and a shop told her "have to fix the body work so the new radiator doesn't rub, then radiator, flush, blinker fluid, and an alignment for $2500.  She parked it and had a junkyard come get it for $500.  Seriously.  I saw it.  I could have fixed it for her in 20 minutes.  Yank the radiator core 2", new radiator, gallon of antifreeze.

But you just missed it.  It went to the junkyard a couple months ago.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/30/20 10:22 p.m.

1)  The answer is Prius

2)  Were you the one with the GMC Motorhome that you totally restored and had a website for?  That thing is berking gorgeous.  Why are you selling?!?  I hope it goes to a good home.  (if that's not you then... who was it?  haha)

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/30/20 10:32 p.m.

Any of the Scions do really well.  They are totally toyota and suprisingly not many people know that.  The xB and xA were similar commuter cars.  The bigger coupe... SB?  CS?  Anyway.. that one did often fall into the hands of tunerz.

The early to late 90s Mazdas; 323, 626, 929 were pretty remarkable.  Back in the 2000s when I worked on them they had trouble with the solenoid packs for EGR, purge, and vent.  Back then, Mazda held on to those patents for themselves so the could be pricey, but otherwise they were torquey and reliable.

Pretty much any Toyota was a good bet.  The U130 s-speed auto sometimes gave fits but they were often in the differential and easier to get to.

90s Tercel
00s Echo (basically a Tercel)
2000s Scions
90s-2000s Mazda
Some of the Mitsubishis.  Not the Tunerz Eclipse/Talon stuff.  The 4DSC years of Maximas were pretty good.
Hyundai or Kia in your price range should be good.  Go a little older with fewer miles.

If you're worried about the Toyota premium, it's not quite as bad when you go with the econo cars.  But other options a plenty.  S10 with an Iron Duke, Blazer with a 2.8 or 4.3L.  I would say Astro van, but they bring twice the money as an S10.  Ford Ranger.  Ford Focus if it hasn't been fed rice.  Dieselgate Jetta?

Off to CL to find examples from around me.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jEeR5YUlqEdlk6Fqqe3AMnFGMDXJHKbGn3cx4QMKPkEnwIW28oYrHDiXRSjHJQLQ