1 2
Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
3/11/17 12:22 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: This is great! Leave the patina. Stuff huge motor, safety, and go! Sadly, i think a d16z6 would be the big motor for this. With boost. And aluminum flywheel. Plenty of power at that weight, compact, and cheap. The turbo would be optional depending on space.

Turbo K24?

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
3/11/17 12:25 p.m.
John Welsh wrote: I am sure your neighbors are not nearly as proud of you as we are! Very cool!

When I said I wanted to park it in the front yard, my wife put her foot down.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
3/11/17 12:41 p.m.

IF we did a car engine, the k24 would probably be top of the list. However, we already have propulsion in mind...

Inline 4, ITBs, dohc, 170 ish HP, 6 speed sequential gearbox, high redline, very lightweight, titanium exhaust, etc.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/11/17 1:16 p.m.

So...which bike did you steal it's heart from?

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
3/11/17 1:51 p.m.

In reply to Robbie:

These type of things lead to one of those proud moments when your wife has to explain your shenanigans to her friends, family or neighbor.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
3/18/17 6:12 p.m.

So, I opened up the hood and found something I think is pretty cool.

Anyway, it's a Simpson fuel cell with a date of manufacture marked on the sticker of 1-78.

If this cell is from January 1978, then that probably puts a general date on when this car was built.

The bladder inside the fuel cell was junk of course, but this could be a cool addition to a rat rod or something!

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UltraDork
3/18/17 8:38 p.m.

Is this still Rear engine? I've had a hankering to stuff a srt4 drivetrain in the ass of one of these for a few years.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
3/18/17 8:58 p.m.
minivan_racer wrote: Is this still Rear engine? I've had a hankering to stuff a srt4 drivetrain in the ass of one of these for a few years.

Yep, sure is (well kinda). The race car didn't come with engine or transmission.

The Honda k24 is the common hot swap in these, but I like your thinking. We're going with motorcycle power for the weight savings, but I have a turbo Saab motor that makes plenty of power sitting in my driveway as backup. (And it was cheap too - the whole car went to the challenge last year for less than $1k).

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
3/18/17 11:52 p.m.

In reply to Robbie:

You've probably heard of the Launcha Splatos, but for those who haven't, here's an X/19 with a 3.0 Alfa V6.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
3/19/17 12:11 a.m.
Andy Neuman wrote: I agree with your wife, but still it was only $150 what's the worst that could happen?

Tetanus.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lRKCWzhPeU9dW019lIy6tLcOqiI85F9x4Npfye6TFpIArzmfAc78N1E2o44R91CQ