Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
11/4/18 8:39 p.m.

I saw this cute lil thing and thought I saw a Mazda badge through my wet windscreen. But I have not seen a Cosmo with lights like this so I am not convinced about what badge I saw. I've been waiting to see it again since I was in my home stompin' grounds but it musta been visiting. It's got me stumped but am guessing about 30 of y'all know what it is, right off the bat.. 

daeman
daeman Dork
11/4/18 9:43 p.m.

You're saying Mazda, and those tail lights are a dead ringer for an rx2.

Apparently someone did This, to an rx2, maybe someone finally finished it? I sure hope no one tried to make another one.

Carson
Carson SuperDork
11/4/18 10:04 p.m.

Someone has converted an fb rx7 into a convertible and grafted rx2 tail lights. 

This 1984 red convertible had an RX2 rear section grafted on, providing a trunk and a 60s Italian flavor to the car. Most people don't seem to know that the RX2 was designed by Bertone. More pictures of my custom convertibles are shown at: http://rx7.org/ThisMonths/Sep97/index.html

I used a highly modified Fiat Spyder top mechanism for this car. It does not fold down completely inside the body because of the shock towers. This had the most extensive bodywork of any custom I have built. 

The GSL-SE convertible was sold to someone in the Bay Area a few years ago, and I lost track of it. I painted it bright silver on top, and faded it to a charcoal silver grey on the bottom. I actually had people ask me if it was stainless steel!

I used an Alpha Spyder top mechanism for this car, and a section of a Corolla roof and sun roof for the trunk lid. This top folds down completely inside the body, and fits the RX7 better, but the Fiat is a better mechanism.

Found it here: https://www.rx7club.com/1st-generation-specific-1979-1985-18/pics-7stock7-convertible-1st-gen-0-6mb-363203/

daeman
daeman Dork
11/4/18 10:09 p.m.

In reply to Carson :

Bravo!, I knew the tail lights, but the back end didn't quite look right.

That rx7 is less atrocious than the rx2 chop.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
11/4/18 10:18 p.m.

Wow. I think maybe, no, with some certainty, that Carson found not just *what* car, but *this* car. The rx2 chop does not look the same as this red car above the rear fenders (whew. Cuz that rx2 chop is downright fugly) . I had sorta thought the taillights were rx2 but it never occurred to me to do an rx2 roadster search... much less to look for an rx7 vert with an rx2 taillight graft. Y'all never fail to impress!

(Looks and looks, more)... the decklid, right behind the seats, co.pare my pic to Carson's, I don't think they are quite the same? Nonetheless I am saying this thing is positively ID'd.

Carson
Carson SuperDork
11/4/18 10:36 p.m.

The differences I see are no rubber bumperettes on the pic Jay took and the soft top. Though, the forum post I found does mention the soft top doesn’t go fully down. I wonder if in the pic I found the top boot is holding it down the rest of the way. Jay’s pic is without boot so maybe that’s why the top looks a bit different and not fully stowed. 

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
11/4/18 10:47 p.m.

I'm going with "close enough", man. Great sleuthing. And incidentally whoever did built it does really nice work. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/5/18 5:20 a.m.

Mind blown.

Now just with how well the RX-7 converiti2 looks, but how well it was done, and that it was identified in about an hour and a half from a grainy road photo.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nmm3at9in4zL0Sw48NqBNu1WgJKsXJ2I3QcaL9dKo3JD03V4HPKWzAu6KxS9U4yH