2 3 4
Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/28/12 8:51 p.m.

Okay, drooling. How about some details? Start with the color. Is that gray?

dj06482
dj06482 HalfDork
9/28/12 10:00 p.m.

Beautiful - Congrats!

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
9/29/12 6:33 a.m.

The color is Titanium.

It was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but it's a 2006 and I got 2 hard tops (1 painted, 1 carbon fiber) and a soft top. It has 39K miles and is in good shape. The guy I bought it from is clearing out his cars to start over or something. He just sold a F car 360, and I think a lambo, and still has a maser (looks like a buick). And, it was "almost" local in OKC, about 250 miles from here. That way we could just drive and go get it and not have to deal with a fly and drive fiasco like the last one. Plus, I bank with an OK based bank, so the money side of it was easy and safe for all parties.

This is the first Lotus I've bought and actually driven home in 30 years. It's a bit noisy. Certainly not much for sound deadening, and has a sport exhaust, brake upgrade, 5 piece diffuser, "touring package" (electric windows and little mini-rugs) and a splitter. Starshield (covers the paint to prevent chips at critical areas). The seat is comfortable, but seriously thin on the padding. Fortunately, my butt seems to fit it, or vice versa. Getting in and out is more challenging than the Esprit, or even a Europa.

Pretty quick. One could say "responsive." It goes where you think. It pulls OK in any of the 6 gears until you hit 6K RPM, then the cam lobes shift over, the exhaust gets about 3 times as loud and you get pushed back.

petegossett
petegossett UltraDork
9/29/12 6:44 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: This is the first Lotus I've bought and actually driven home in 30 years.

That quote says so much, it's worth saying again! :D

I was curious about the seats. The one I'd sat in briefly seemed like I'd be in pain after 1/2-hour, but I really can't take unpadded/lightly-padded seating for very long.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/29/12 7:02 a.m.

...and, you don't have to swap in a Toyota engine.

ZOO
ZOO SuperDork
9/29/12 7:03 a.m.

Great car, Dr. Hess!

Allow me to put a plug in for Sector111 -- I've used them exclusively for the upgrades to my Elise. Their service and the quality of their parts reminds me of Flyin' Miata -- and I can think of no higher praise.

Be careful lifting the engine cover -- you can lift it right into the buttresses in the rear and mar the paint -- most Elises I've seen have evidence of this happening.

Rob

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
9/29/12 7:07 a.m.

Yeah, comes pre-Toyota-ized.

I noticed that, Zoo, when I was lifting the cover for the first time. Still a Lotus, huh? And I have a bunch of Sector 111 parts on there now, like the brakes, and 5 piece diffuser.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
9/29/12 4:31 p.m.

Drooling, before I even read the instructions to do so.

Winston
Winston Reader
10/2/12 3:22 p.m.

One last look:

http://www.ridesafely.com/Inventory.aspx?InventoryID=1209194664&secid=1&trc=2&cntc=US&mk=LOTUS&rcppg=20&sin=img2&ob=Year+DESC&

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/2/12 4:34 p.m.

Ouch.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit SuperDork
10/2/12 4:53 p.m.

That is one sweet car Doc.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
10/2/12 7:24 p.m.

Thanks, RB_Spit. Got it titled/licensed today and took it to work. When I got home, we went for a ride and Dr.Linda drove it. It's quite a ride.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/2/12 7:43 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: In my garage now. I'm just gonna hotlink this fer ya'll to drool over.

I hate you, you lucky bastard. Beautiful! Titanium and red are the two colors I really want.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi HalfDork
10/2/12 8:07 p.m.
Winston wrote: One last look: http://www.ridesafely.com/Inventory.aspx?InventoryID=1209194664&secid=1&trc=2&cntc=US&mk=LOTUS&rcppg=20&sin=img2&ob=Year+DESC&

That's just not nice....

The Elise looks like a really sweet car; keep us up to date so we can live vicariously though you... Or me anyway.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
10/2/12 8:11 p.m.

I already saw the Esprit on copart. As I said, too horrible to look at. Auction ends in 8 days, so if you need a front bumper or headlight buckets, now is your chance. Nothing else is salvageable. Maybe the spare tire and front wheels.

Winston
Winston Reader
10/2/12 8:32 p.m.

The chassis, if undamaged, is valuable... a grand or two for sure. I know of a couple of chassis from burned cars that have been used to resurrect crashed Esprits. One of the burns was even worse than your car... 100% burn. Anyway, hopefully you find better fortunes with the Elise. One of my dream cars for sure, along with the Esprit.

dj06482
dj06482 HalfDork
10/4/12 7:15 p.m.

Great overview of the Elise: http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/articletype/articleview/articleid/2127/project-elise--a-proper-introduction.asp

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/4/12 7:26 p.m.
Winston wrote: One last look: http://www.ridesafely.com/Inventory.aspx?InventoryID=1209194664&secid=1&trc=2&cntc=US&mk=LOTUS&rcppg=20&sin=img2&ob=Year+DESC&

That brings a tear to my eye... But one door closes, another opens.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
10/4/12 7:39 p.m.

Is there any way to get $300 worth of parts off of it? How much are the wheels worth?

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LSacN9Y4GgF9IOMPS8tVyyKX5v6nc62ONS5rsTYZiWAs2rWdF8bV7Jy6IzKB8wVc