1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/17/17 8:42 a.m.
feature_image

Red Green or even Santa would approve of this one: a green over red 1975 Ferrari Dino 308 GT4. Estimate is $60,000 to $80,000, which Hagerty says is somewhere around Excellent to Concours money. So, does the unconventional color combo help or hurt its value?

Read the rest of the story

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
8/17/17 10:04 a.m.

I really like unusual color combinations, but honestly they hurt resale by limiting your prospective pool of buyers. It would be a huge plus if they could document that this is how it came from the factory (the Mecum ad says "new paint & interior").

That said, this particular one seems to have a way to go before it would be in the excellent to concours condition. Both the front and back bumpers don't seem to fit the body right.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/17/17 10:07 a.m.

That A pillar sticks out like broken thumb.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
8/17/17 10:16 a.m.

says detailed engine compartment but no pics? tease.

I've never seen a Ferrari that didn't look great, but this one is odd and I don't think the green flatters the shape.

agree that there is no way this is in excellent concour condition with those sad-looking bumpers.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/17/17 10:39 a.m.

Yeah, it needs a little time with our friend Tim McNair. I'm a fan of green, but in this case a black interior might be a bit more appropriate.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
8/17/17 10:49 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Or tan.

Either way, it's already a less than desirable Ferrari model, made less desireable by the color choices (for many people). That said, there's a butt for every seat! Hopefully it will go to someone and make them happy.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
8/17/17 10:53 a.m.

A repainted mid-70s 308 GT4? There is nothing about that car that screams $25k, nevermind $60k.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
8/17/17 10:57 a.m.
RossD wrote: That A pillar sticks out like broken thumb.

Given the black dashboard and black door cards a black a-pillar would seem much more appropriate.
I do not like the green color combo. I think a white, silver or black exterior would look best with that red.

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
8/17/17 11:23 a.m.

My former 308 GT4 was originally Viola Dino (Purple). It didn't sell and then the dealer repainted it red/black two tone.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/17/17 11:43 a.m.

I like 308 GT4s, but the only way that this car is going to be worth $60,000 to $80,000 is if it has an urn full of Enzo on the passenger's seat.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
8/17/17 11:45 a.m.

Very Christmasy....but a tan interior would look far better. Not a model that has ever appealed to me in any case. Reminds me of a Lambo Urraco.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/17/17 11:45 a.m.

See, if I was buying a ferrari, id target a not typical color. I don't care about ferrari resale red.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/17/17 11:49 a.m.

I think people would love 308 GT4s if they weren't Ferraris (I know, I know...Dinos). If it was a Fiat or Lancia, we'd be climbing all over each other to get our hands on one. Instead, it's generally considered to be one of the less attractive Ferraris.

Once cars get tagged with the Ferrari nameplate, people expect Pininfarina styling. Sure, Pininfarina had a few clunkers but for the most part, people expect something beautiful, at least in their cars of that era.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
8/17/17 12:05 p.m.
Huckleberry wrote: A repainted mid-70s 308 GT4? There is nothing about that car that screams $25k, nevermind $60k.

Three years ago maybe, now that may go for 70K plus.

APEowner
APEowner HalfDork
8/17/17 12:06 p.m.

I know it's a respray but it's not clear to me if that's the original color. I don't care about stuff like that but the typical Ferrari buyer does deeply and that has a significant effect on the value.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/17/17 12:06 p.m.
Huckleberry wrote: A repainted mid-70s 308 GT4? There is nothing about that car that screams $25k, nevermind $60k.

Yeah, I've driven a GT4. That's about as undesirable as Ferraris get, and the color combo doesn't help at all.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
8/17/17 12:38 p.m.

Just needs an STi or LS Swap to make it GRM-worthy :)

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Dork
8/17/17 12:40 p.m.

I won't say the 308GT4 is ugly for a Ferrari. It's just ugly, no matter what color it is...

NickD
NickD SuperDork
8/17/17 12:56 p.m.

Ugly car, ugly color combo. Eye-catching, but not for good reasons. Yuck

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
8/17/17 1:05 p.m.
NickD wrote: Ugly car, ugly color combo. Eye-catching, but not for good reasons. Yuck

Eye catching like a fishing lure

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/17/17 1:40 p.m.

If they would have photographed it with less green behind it, you could make the pictures do a better job of doing the color some justice. Unless of course it's actually worse in real life, then making it blend into the woods would be a good thing.

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
8/17/17 1:46 p.m.
Stefan wrote: Just needs an STi or LS Swap to make it GRM-worthy :)

Absolutely.(Though I'm biased)

I think they're pretty. Bertone wedge shaped stuff looks good to me. These are like a slightly more awkward Stratos but with a v8 available.

Much better than the GT4 Rainbow concept car:

For those saying that these are the bottom of the barrel Ferrari's....I don't know about that. The first Mid engine v8 Ferrari, 4 Webers, gated shifter.....Checks a lot of boxes. More so than a 400i with an automatic and styling like a Honda.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls PowerDork
8/17/17 2:03 p.m.

I love a 308GT4 and can't help thinking you folks who don't are somehow broken. It is my favorite of the wedge Ferraris. The ergonomics are terrible, checking your blind spots means bashing your head into the windshield. The window motors operate at glacial speeds even with a full tuneup and relayed power but I would have one in a heartbeat. The C pillar intake ducts that you can fit your whole forearm into, the rowdy flat plane V8, Oval tube Ferrari spaceframe/chassis and bold color choices that just scream fun. It is also the only Ferrari you can park at the grocery store without drawing a crowd.

I had the pleasure of performing the 30K service on one a few years back. The timing belts weren't as terrible as everyone says. I fell hard in love with it after a week. The shakedown drives were memorable. Modern cars are so fast now that it felt underpowered but it did move well and MAN, what a soundtrack!

Also the home of my favorite seats of all time. Beautiful, simple and comfortable. I wish I could find a set.

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
8/17/17 2:20 p.m.
Jumper K. Balls wrote: Also the home of my favorite seats of all time. Beautiful, simple and comfortable. I wish I could find a set.

I have a set in peanut butter brown back in my attic in GA. Decrepit and crusty. I'm not sure why I kept them.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls PowerDork
8/17/17 2:27 p.m.
crankwalk wrote:
Jumper K. Balls wrote: Also the home of my favorite seats of all time. Beautiful, simple and comfortable. I wish I could find a set.
I have a set in peanut butter brown back in my attic in GA. Decrepit and crusty. I'm not sure why I kept them.

If you want to move them on shoot me a price and we can work out shipping. My Fiat project NEEDS them.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ipuyICCIfF7TRQeDgcZeuU1D8H1l6zYPmMNkD8j9ZhTRYKQjfwWPwh3FkbkhFZal