1 2
BigD
BigD Reader
12/5/11 8:56 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
BigD wrote: So while most people appear to just accept their wheels and not look stupid for spending almost 4 grand on trash,
I hope those wheels were for some kind of very high-end show car or something.....because otherwise those people look pretty stupid spending 4 grand on wheels, whether they're fake or not......

Widebody Supra, NSX, some other stuff. They had a big power turbo show car with their wheels at SEMA. 4k for wheels isn't remarkable for large/wide wheels from a high quality forged rim manufacturer. I think a rim in my size from Volk or HRE is 12-1500 a piece. So 900 with claims of being up to their level seems like a bargain. But yeah, I'm going with Fikse instead and these rims will cost me less than the garbage would have from the scammer... unreal. But you wouldn't believe how well this guy can lie. His main fault though is that he doesn't know when to stop. He literally lies about everything to make his company sound good, even things that are almost trivial to crosscheck with the internet, and aren't material to making his product look better.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
12/5/11 9:04 p.m.

Why would you even waste your time LOOKING at something supposedly from DSS???? I could build a better motor with a hammer and chisel blindfolded. Personally, I still would find someone local-ish before going with one of the "no-name" mag advertisers.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
12/6/11 5:46 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote: Why would you even waste your time LOOKING at something supposedly from DSS???? I could build a better motor with a hammer and chisel blindfolded. Personally, I still would find someone local-ish before going with one of the "no-name" mag advertisers.

Not sure where you get your information, but DSS has a good reputation. They may not be the best, but they're generally a safer bet than just some guy. It was listed for close to half what it would cost me to build it, and like I said before, it was very close to what I was going to build. I normally wouldn't look at an engine like this either, but I didn't have time to build it, so at the price he was asking, it was a good deal.

psteav
psteav Reader
12/6/11 9:06 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: When I was in my late teens I bought a haggrd '68 Chevy truck with a flat bed, 3-speed on the floor and what i was told was a 327. Naturally I revved the piss out of it everywhere I went and it lasted about 2 months then started making a funny chattering sound. I pulled the heads and noticed a piston rocking back and forth, indicating a broken skirt. I took some measurements and came to the realization I had been shafted. It was a 307.

My dad did the exact opposite. When I was five or six, he bought a '70 Nova two door post. Not clean, but it was cheap. It had what he was told was a 307, but it ran reeeally well for a 307. He sold the Nova to a friend who ran the numbers and determined it was actually a 300 hp 327 out of a Vette.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath HalfDork
12/7/11 6:39 a.m.

I have a factory B16DETT with full Tomei bottom end and a top end made entirely out of titanium. Dyno'd at 560 hp. Weighs 87 pounds wet. Sell it to you for 900 bucks.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
12/7/11 6:59 a.m.

Well see, I won't buy your engine because the only Tomei bottom I've ever heard of was on the opposite side of this:

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
12/7/11 8:25 a.m.

She revs nicely , too.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath HalfDork
12/7/11 8:40 a.m.

Especially in "before the devil knows you're dead."^

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
12/7/11 9:10 a.m.

I'd like to check out her internals with a bore scope before buying, please.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
12/7/11 12:00 p.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

Good idea. Might avoid a catastrophic failure on down the road..

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rKS7jdAl75buPf4fCkMvglWvf0P4DsPqhmofREr9p64sSuR4HsoVTEQDM0UoGbIP