1 2 3 4
integraguy
integraguy Dork
3/21/11 3:31 p.m.

"....shown at the Geneva Convention."

perhaps they couldn't sell it because Mazda refused to give anything more than name, rank, and serial (VIN?) numbers?

I think you meant Geneva Auto Show?

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
3/21/11 3:34 p.m.

Wow, that AMX/3 is freaking gorgeous. A bit-o-Maserati in there, but I'm not complaining.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
3/21/11 3:34 p.m.
integraguy wrote: "....shown at the Geneva Convention." perhaps they couldn't sell it because Mazda refused to give anything more than name, rank, and serial (VIN?) numbers? I think you meant Geneva Auto Show?

HAHAH!!!!

Nice catch, my bad.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
3/21/11 3:40 p.m.

The AMX/3 is gorgeous, and it did get produced (kind of). They made 6 of them, plus a fiberglass prototype (that the kit is made off of), and supposedly enough parts for a further 1-4 of them.

dculberson
dculberson Reader
3/21/11 3:48 p.m.

Yeah, the AMX/3 managed to look way, way better than its competition that actually got mass produced. Compared to, say, a Pantera, I think the AMX/3 is the better looking one.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
3/21/11 3:52 p.m.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/jeep/renegade.php

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
3/21/11 3:54 p.m.

I'm not a fan of the Fiat 500 Castagnia concept, but this picture ALMOST changed that http://cdn2.worldcarfans.co/2008/9/medium/9080910.007.1M.jpg (Semi-NSFW)

Vigo
Vigo Dork
3/22/11 1:32 a.m.

There's a lot of 1g mazda6 in that front end. Cool car!

I just got a magazine in which Sergio Marchionne said that this is going to happen.

Obviously very close to the Versa but also shades of Juke in there.

Holy crap man, the back 1/3 of that car is solid CR-Z, 13 years early..

As for myself, FAR AND AWAY the coolest car we never got was the Dodge Copperhead. Dodge REALLY missed the boat with this one. It would have invented the size/power niche that practically exploded only a few short years later.. The s2000, Crossfire, 350z, Solstice, Sky, NC Miata, Rx8, etc etc all now occupy roughly the same niche that this car would have invented, and frankly none of them look as good now as this car did almost 15 years ago. This is seriously the ONLY car ever that makes my heart flutter and literally makes me sad and wistful.

huge-O-chavez
huge-O-chavez SuperDork
3/22/11 4:59 a.m.

suzuki x-head.

Raze
Raze Dork
3/22/11 6:40 a.m.

Cadillac Cien:

I'd never want to deal with the Northstar derived engine, but I would buy it, park it in my living room, and drool over it every day until I die...

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg HalfDork
3/22/11 8:13 a.m.

my vote goes towards the Dodge Sling Shot. seems as if it was a rebodied and supercharged Smart Roadster Coupe, but it's still an interesting little car.

shamelessly hotlinked from allpar.com:

EDIT: oh, and about eleventymillion more votes for the Dodge Demon and the Dodge Razor concepts. and the Suzuki GSX-R4.

oh, and also the 1962 Ford Mustang concept car. oh how things could have been different in the performance car scene in the '60s, had this made it to production...

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
3/22/11 8:54 a.m.

+1 for the Razor. I'm not a Mopar fan in the least, but I would've begged, borrowed, and stolen to buy one of those new off the lot.

I wonder if it's too early to add the FT-86?

EricM
EricM Dork
3/22/11 9:08 a.m.
Tom Heath wrote: Easy. I loved this one—even more than the Demon that came later. Read all about what it should have been...

DAMN!!!!

I had no idea that even existed, now I am sad, very , very sad.

I have a "no new car, only used car" rule that I would have broken for that car.

RossD
RossD Dork
3/22/11 10:04 a.m.

I wanted the Ford Falcon from Oz to come here, and it seemed like it was going to until the market crashed...

mmmm twin turbo DOHC inline six four door ford...mmmmm

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit Dork
3/22/11 10:24 a.m.
EricM wrote:
Tom Heath wrote: Easy. I loved this one—even more than the Demon that came later. Read all about what it should have been...
DAMN!!!! I had no idea that even existed, now I am sad, very , very sad. I have a "no new car, only used car" rule that I would have broken for that car.

I had high hopes for that car.

mrhappy
mrhappy Reader
3/22/11 10:25 a.m.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
3/22/11 10:41 a.m.

What? Cheap, lighter than a miata, and ridiculous power? Cuz if so your hopes were entirely reasonable.

Although, imo after the Copperhead the razor and demon were piss-poor excuses.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
3/22/11 10:59 a.m.

The Copperhead never did it for me. It just looks like a cheap knock-off of a Viper.

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
3/22/11 11:06 a.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote:
EricM wrote:
DAMN!!!! I had no idea that even existed, now I am sad, very , very sad. I have a "no new car, only used car" rule that I would have broken for that car.

The razor would've been my first (only?) new car, no doubt about it.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
3/22/11 11:28 a.m.

KA, you're right, Russia is a beautiful place to canoe.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
3/22/11 11:29 a.m.

Don't have photos handy, but maybe someone else can supply them for the Chevrolet Corvair Monza GT and SS concept cars - had great influence on future GM sporty cars, and if they had been produced, I would definately have bought one.

+1 on the original Mustang. I guess that you could say that my Mk. 1 MR2 is the evolution of this design (along with X1/9s, of course).

Woody
Woody SuperDork
3/22/11 11:34 a.m.

1954 Nomad.

alex
alex SuperDork
3/22/11 11:36 a.m.

You guys beat me to the Razor, Demon and Copperhead, all high on my list.

Chrylser ME-412:

Cadillac Sixteen:

Chevy Nomad:

Lincoln Continental:

Ford Interceptor:

Ford GT90:

Detroit was doing such badass concpepts in the early 2000's, and all we got out of them was berkeleying SUVs. Thanks a lot.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
3/22/11 11:37 a.m.

AMX GT

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
3/22/11 11:45 a.m.

Concept: Interceptor; Product: 500 (aka Taurus). Screw you, Ford.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YlB0q0bigrKiwm5Fa5t8S9rWLIuMTHVG2DuFElV9tqqTKofUuC90dfSjXH3U7zov