1 2 3
92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
3/21/11 12:57 p.m.

Here's mine:

http://www.mazdafun.com/news%20mps.htm

280hp, awd, Twin turbo KLZE, 345mm front 6-piston brakes, 315mm 4-piston rear brakes, 12-way adjustable suspension, height adjustment, etc etc etc.

Shown at 2000 Geneva Convention

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
3/21/11 1:13 p.m.

A WRX-fighter before there was a US-market WRX... That looks so much nicer than anything Mazda sells today...

The concept that pops into my mind is the Dodge Demon from a few years ago.

scardeal
scardeal HalfDork
3/21/11 1:13 p.m.

The specs on that are great, but the interior is hideous...

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
3/21/11 1:19 p.m.

Easy. I loved this one—even more than the Demon that came later.

Read all about what it should have been...

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Reader
3/21/11 1:22 p.m.

The dodge razor would have been a sure fire win.

http://www.allpar.com/model/concepts/dodge-razor.html

And if you want to kill some time today

http://www.allpar.com/model/concepts.html

Paul B

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
3/21/11 1:23 p.m.

Why is the car in the first post not a mazdaspeed 6 built with what was available at the time?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
3/21/11 1:26 p.m.

It actually made production, but not for very long - Pontiac G8 GXP.

scardeal
scardeal HalfDork
3/21/11 1:29 p.m.

This thread reminds me of the Dodge M4S Turbo Interceptor from the Wraith...

"You lose the race, you lose your car!"

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Reader
3/21/11 1:36 p.m.

I have a few, but the one one the top of my head is the Jeep Gladiator from 2005.

92CelicaHalfTrac
3/21/11 1:41 p.m.
scardeal wrote: The specs on that are great, but the interior is hideous...

The interior shot was from another related car that they had. I can't find interior shots of the silver one right now, but it was all nice black stuff. Very tasteful.

Interior was from this car:

92CelicaHalfTrac
3/21/11 1:43 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: Why is the car in the first post not a mazdaspeed 6 built with what was available at the time?

That's somewhat what it is/was... predated the 6, though.

Along the same vein as the first MP3 Protege, just with another level of performance, i'd say.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
3/21/11 1:46 p.m.

I always liked the original Pontiac G8 concept (minus the giant nostrils, of course )

It was supposed to have a LS1 and AWD. That would definitely have been interesting.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
3/21/11 1:53 p.m.

Nissan MID4.

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
3/21/11 1:56 p.m.

I thought the Honda Spocket woulda been cool.

It was a ricer's El Camino

mrhappy
mrhappy Reader
3/21/11 1:58 p.m.

I always liked this one its what the versa should of looked like.

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
3/21/11 2:11 p.m.

Speaking of what-shoulda-been hatchbacks - I also really liked the Honda GRX concept from way back in 97.

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
3/21/11 2:14 p.m.

i always thought the Suzuki GSX-R/4 was just pure awesome.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
3/21/11 2:34 p.m.

How about some concept cars that completely rethought the automotive powertrain? Would have been interesting to see what these might have evolved into if they'd made it into production and had some time to develop.

Chrysler Turbine Car.

I couldn't find a good hotlinkable picture, but the AMC Spirit P40 is another interesting one - Stirling engine power.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
3/21/11 2:45 p.m.

I believe GM is the absolute best car company out there when it comes to almost building vehicles. Concepts not getting to production is completely understandable, but when cars are literally ready to crank out on the production line (many MILLIONS of dollars and hours into development) and then get scrapped it infuriates me.

1990 Fiero - This one was so close it's silly...tooling was built, manufacturing processes were completed, etc. GM got scared and pulled the plug on a second gen Fiero.
Saturn Vue 2-mode hybrid - This was one also so close it's silly. Tooling built, production scheduled, etc. Years later the powertrain still collects dust, waiting for a platform to pick it up (Volt is close, but not the same).
GM baby diesel V8 - Another powertrain that was almost entirely developed and I think would be great to see in the field and would have finally allowed for a diesel Suburban/Tahoe again, but collects dust.
G8 Ute - Could have been a slam dunk to bring another vehicle from Oz on the G8 platform, totally unique in the US. Dropped the project.
EV1 - Hindsight tells us this could have drastically changed GM if they had stuck with it. Not only did they decide not to sell them, they even collected and scrapped them! Stupid.

There are more, but these are some that irk me the most.

Bryce

keethrax
keethrax Reader
3/21/11 3:00 p.m.
Nashco wrote: GM baby diesel V8 - Another powertrain that was almost entirely developed and I think would be great to see in the field and would have finally allowed for a diesel Suburban/Tahoe again, but collects dust.

Father-in-law worked on this one. It had more than it's fair share of issues IIRC.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
3/21/11 3:01 p.m.
mrhappy wrote: I always liked this one its what the versa should of looked like.

+1

That's what I was waiting for to replace my Sentra. Never happened, and I was pissed.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
3/21/11 3:10 p.m.

Well, Mr. Heath beat me to mine. Dodge Razor would have been awesome. Otherwise, the G8 El-Camino and the Buick Blackhawk (which never had a chance at production)

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
3/21/11 3:11 p.m.

Pontiac has had some great ones

Banshee - OHC I6 goodness too

Stinger

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
3/21/11 3:14 p.m.

I liked the Ford GT90...I think there was a Dodge "Copperhead" that looked promising....the Miata coupe was good looking.

I'll second the Jeep Gladiator as well.Oh...and the Power Wagon too.

*EDIT...the Darth Vader-ish Maybach Coupe from a few years ago....and that V-16 Caddy.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
3/21/11 3:24 p.m.

Well, you guys already got the blackhawk and the stinger. I'll go for the AMX/3 which was apparently available for a while as a kit car http://www.madmechanics.com/build-diaries/amx3-reproductions-by-sciabola-inc/30/

(It may still be available....I'm just guessing that this went the way that must undercapitalized startup kit companies go.)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rpxpETlZSXFpd4HdMbY9h3oscF4gPJXc4dJr22GCfDCELAmfbGsNbp6W4T6pPZDU