dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
1/10/22 2:05 p.m.

Thursday night I got a text from a good friend who lives about 5 hrs away in Virginia, asking if I might help enable his vices if he were to purchase a Lincoln Mark VII he found on marketplace. The car was a 22k mi survivor, and he wanted to get it before someone else did, but was concerned about getting it home on original tires with snow and temperatures in the teens. The car was a couple hours from me, in Akron Ohio - the former home of Goodyear. So I agreed to using my trailer (but his Jeep since I don't have a trailer harness for my truck yet) to get it back to my house, where he could then make arrangements to get it back to VA. 

The car is Cabarnet red with matching interior, and I think its best feature are the seats; they're comfy, they look cool, and the bolsters are adjustable. I'm not used to anything low mileage and this clean, so handling/hauling the car were stressful endeavors, since I come from a world of "this is why we can't have nice things."

It took about an hour to negotiate with the previous owner, who had at least 3 hard seltzers in the parking lot where we met him (we got there at 10am).. But my friend got to a price he was comfortable with and I loaded up the car. The only immediate issue besides the old tires is that the TV cable is broken, apparently that's a common issue and can easily toast the transmission, but it seems to run well otherwise. At any rate, we got the car back in one piece and the trailer handled well behind the Jeep as long as I kept it below 70 mph.

Just wanted to share in case anyone here appreciates a fancy fox body, I really like the car from certain angles, from others it's a little stodgy. I imagine it would be a hard car to beat for its time, if the task at hand was a few hours of highway driving where you wanted to arrive feeling fresh. As to the title of this post, the Jeep is actually his dad's, and the other cars in his possession include a Nissan S12 200sx with no heat or a/c, an impossibly clean NA Miata, and a 52 Chevy sedan, so the Lincoln really might be the most "normal" of the assortment. If my friend is any indication, I guess a lot of people who work from home could use that convenience to delete the boring appliance cars of their lives, and only own fun cars perpetually.. maybe.

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
1/10/22 2:09 p.m.

Is he a heavy smoker? I feel like to own one of those you need to be a heavy smoker.

Cool car!

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
1/10/22 2:11 p.m.

Looks clean! I'm not sure I've seen those wheels before, but I really like them.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
1/10/22 2:18 p.m.

Although a bit dated in styling, is did have style in its time. Not hard to hop up theses days, and hey, it's less done than the done to death "5.oh"

I would not have realized that was considered red, and I hope it's not saddled with the bright red cloth ford loved at that time!

BTW, I loved the "why we can't have nice things" line. Unfortunately, I relate. blush

gumby
gumby Dork
1/10/22 2:35 p.m.

B-e-a-utiful 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/10/22 2:38 p.m.

I've always been a fan of these, I almost bought one for a challenge car actually

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/10/22 2:42 p.m.

Cool, I like it a lot. Is that a tinted windshield?!

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
1/10/22 2:51 p.m.

The TV cable problem may be a loose lever on the side of the transmission. My son had a T-bird of that era, it would get loose every year or so and have to be tightened up. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
1/10/22 3:42 p.m.

Most excellent!

Shadeux
Shadeux Dork
1/10/22 3:43 p.m.

My dad had one just like that. Bought it used. I don't remember anything memorable about it. He did trade his Mark VI for it. That car, ugh. Lots of memories, all of them bad.

iansane
iansane HalfDork
1/10/22 3:49 p.m.

I used to see a black one rolling around that would peg the rev limiter(or float valves?) once every time he passed my trans am. Never knew who drove that car. I always thought a manual trans would make this a great GT car.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/10/22 4:25 p.m.

I've owned three of them, loved those cars. I have a set of those fog lights still on my parts shelf waiting for...something.

thedoc
thedoc HalfDork
1/10/22 5:29 p.m.

Nice score!  Not to hijack your thread, but your title made me think of the time our most comfortable vehicle was a 90 mustang.  Now it's a 94 f150.  

Jealous of the car!

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
1/10/22 5:58 p.m.

That's a cool car. Nice color too.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/10/22 6:06 p.m.

I love it !!!

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
1/10/22 6:07 p.m.

Tell your friend he's my hero.............what a nice addition to the fleet.

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/10/22 6:29 p.m.

Cool.

Oh, and it's a Bond Car.

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
1/10/22 6:58 p.m.

I had to go back and reread when I saw the the cable TV would mess up the transmission. Doh!

The second pic really shows the Fox body-ness, but that first one... Man, that's a slick car. I'm not sure my wardrobe is up to the task of owning a car like that, I think I need more wingtips.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
1/10/22 7:47 p.m.

I used to see a dark gray one around. It looked lowered on Mustang wheels. Always thought it was a cool look

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
1/10/22 8:54 p.m.

Those are great looking cars, and I really like the color on this one. I prefer the LSC version wheels. I have wanted one for decades.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/10/22 8:57 p.m.

The ultimate Fox chassis 5.0!!!!!!  YYYYEEESSSS!!!!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JwavS94JuaTq6uxo6rzqboVcL4YxxhUc0dNovWteqnYHfW1wgxEAm4wjlOGF2bnZ