blaze86vic
blaze86vic Reader
1/27/14 8:18 p.m.

How are your old keys holding up?

I was discussing with a friend keys, and ended up taking a pic of my worn keys for the Vic. Thought it was kinda cool. 350K+ miles on them. Both sets are the original sets that came with the car, and the second pick shows how much thinner the primary set has gotten with all the years of dangling. And they still work perfectly in every lock and the ignition.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
1/27/14 8:19 p.m.

My '87 econoline keys look about halfway between your 2. The mileage on the van is about halfway, too.

curtis73
curtis73 UltraDork
1/27/14 8:32 p.m.

The original keys for my 66 Bonneville are pretty worn, but not bad because the car only has about 100k on it. My 96 Impala, however, has much more wear because (despite only having 130k) the keys have been on my key ring almost indefinitely since 1996. The resistor chip is so worn I have to futz with the key in the switch to get the car to start.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
1/27/14 8:55 p.m.

The 87 4Runner's tumblers are so worn, that I can pull out the key with the truck still running and go unlock the garage with the same key ring. When I get a copy made, close enough is the best the key maker can do, yet, close enough works every time.

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
1/27/14 8:59 p.m.

My E150 key looked like the above until one day it just stopped working. I thought the ignition was broken. Nope, just the key was finally worn too far. I had a lock shop cut a key from the numbers and it works perfectly.

bmwbav
bmwbav New Reader
1/27/14 9:12 p.m.

Original 1971 BMW Bavaria key, 43 years old ~150K miles. It's steel so it doesn't really wear at all, Still works great/

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/27/14 9:53 p.m.

I had the original keys for my 65 Mustang and my 64 Chevy C10. They were both worn beautifully smooth, and I suspect that the ignition cylinders were too. I could start the truck with a screwdriver.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
1/27/14 9:58 p.m.
bmwbav wrote: Original 1971 BMW Bavaria key, 43 years old ~150K miles. It's steel so it doesn't really wear at all, Still works great/

wow.. how many locksmiths could cut a new one of those?

My fiat used two separate keys.. a tiny one that worked the locks and slightly bigger one for the ignition. The lock key is very worn,

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UberDork
1/27/14 10:21 p.m.

I've had keys so worn they began to crack. Time for a new, QUICK!

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
1/28/14 5:29 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
bmwbav wrote: Original 1971 BMW Bavaria key, 43 years old ~150K miles. It's steel so it doesn't really wear at all, Still works great/
wow.. how many locksmiths could cut a new one of those?

Anyone with a drill and some patience.

My 97 Explorer key can be pulled while running too. 204k miles. Heck, as long as you don't turn the ignition switch all the way to lock you can start the truck without it

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
1/28/14 6:23 a.m.

How many new car drivers would read this and say... What's this "key" you speak of? What is it used for? 20 years from now there'll be a thread saying "What does your old ignition button look like?"

slow
slow New Reader
1/28/14 6:24 a.m.

I was wondering why people keep keys for old Fords. Can you just use a screwdriver? Now I know it is for showing them off in this forum.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
1/28/14 7:18 a.m.
slow wrote: I was wondering why people keep keys for old Fords. Can you just use a screwdriver? Now I know it is for showing them off in this forum.

Yea. I have one. The keys are much less suspicious when being stopped by police.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
1/28/14 7:33 a.m.

I get my keys out to look at them and realize I took my wife's car key and she has to be at work before I'm off. Fanberkeleyingtastic.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
1/28/14 4:14 p.m.

Ever save old keys to cars that are long gone? I'll have to find the Briggs & Straton labeled keys to the 54 Olds that I have somewhere.

rcutclif
rcutclif New Reader
1/28/14 4:31 p.m.

I want to point out that all the 'old' keys here have one thing in common. They are small!

I find it absolutely ridiculous to try and fit newer car keys into my pockets at any more than one at a time. Small gripe, but really, electronic key fobs do not have to be so big. Have you guys rented a car recently with both of the gigantic keys crimped to the same band? I mean, it does wonders for the appearance of my manhood but god forbid I have to get the keys out of my pocket AFTER I sit down.

Anybody else feel the same?

ouchx100
ouchx100 New Reader
1/28/14 4:31 p.m.

Anyone know the reason they used to use two separate keys? My 92 ford ranger did and being born in 91 and driving that truck in high school I always thought it was the stupidest thing.

It's gonna suck if newer car keys wear like this. My wrx key was like 40 bucks for an off brand one with a cut and program. The flip key/fob for newish mazdas was like 300 to get replaced. Compared to about 1.50 each with my dealer discount to get some new miata keys.. Lol

rcutclif
rcutclif New Reader
1/28/14 4:32 p.m.

In reply to ouchx100:

Sucks to replace all the locks on the car if the ignition cylinder goes...

codrus
codrus HalfDork
1/28/14 6:00 p.m.
ouchx100 wrote: Anyone know the reason they used to use two separate keys? My 92 ford ranger did and being born in 91 and driving that truck in high school I always thought it was the stupidest thing. It's gonna suck if newer car keys wear like this. My wrx key was like 40 bucks for an off brand one with a cut and program. The flip key/fob for newish mazdas was like 300 to get replaced. Compared to about 1.50 each with my dealer discount to get some new miata keys.. Lol

With different keys for trunk & ignition, you could give the ignition key to the valet but not let him into the trunk. This was in the days before remote trunk releases.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
1/28/14 6:43 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: I get my keys out to look at them and realize I took my wife's car key and she has to be at work before I'm off. Fanberkeleyingtastic.

That's why we have 2 extra sets of keys for each vehicle in a drawer in the kitchen. Never had that problem until I got a vehicle with an automatic since the wife couldn't drive a stick.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
1/28/14 9:34 p.m.
ouchx100 wrote: It's gonna suck if newer car keys wear like this. My wrx key was like 40 bucks for an off brand one with a cut and program. The flip key/fob for newish mazdas was like 300 to get replaced. Compared to about 1.50 each with my dealer discount to get some new miata keys.. Lol

This raises a good question. What will happen 20-30 years down the the road when our 'old' cars need keys but can no longer be programmed because all of the machines to do so are obsolete?

Wally
Wally MegaDork
1/28/14 10:00 p.m.

In reply to rcutclif: I clip them to my belt loop now because they started to rip the pockets in my pants.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
1/29/14 5:37 a.m.

This is my reason for preferring the old keys:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WI9yFSxWdHzB6JTwqB30Lz69vkznmAgvcYD558KZKfWVfJMRa5lZNud7iC4YD8wU