06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/12/21 8:13 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Not really, most of the time the yard near me will pull the wheels for resale if they are aftermarket and in halfway decent shape. I was surprised to find that set still on the car.

Factory option alloys are usually a good bet. 

Back in day one of the sporty car mags used to publish a wheel catalog every year. I miss that.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
11/19/21 6:09 p.m.

Enjoyed a trip to the junkyard this morning guilt free while taking a vacation day. Pulled some brake upgrade parts (4 calipers with brackets) and battery cable, and they rang me up for only 4' of battery cable instead of the probably 10-12' I had, no complaints there!

untchabl
untchabl Reader
11/30/21 3:41 p.m.

Scored a pair of full leather Recaro seats from a 2015 Focus ST for $200 at the junkyard today. According to a buddy that used to have a Focus ST, street value is almost $1000 for these. Going to see if I can make them work in my GMT-400 project.

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
12/9/21 1:42 p.m.

Took a walk in the junkyard today over lunch. Anyone need a Capri hardtop or B6T parts/drivetrain?

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
12/9/21 3:04 p.m.

Man, that Capri takes me back!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
12/11/21 11:14 a.m.

Something I don't see on the road anymore in Ohio showed up in the junkyard.  Looks like the small front hit must have totaled it.  Check out the rockers and wheel wells.

The interior was as nice as the exterior.

hybridmomentspass
12/11/21 11:24 a.m.

Went this morning to a yard, it was a drizzly morning, but was looking for a particular part while in the area

The part was ratty so I left it. Not wanting to spend a lot of time I didnt get to look for something cool. But, that said, still enjoy walking around a junkyard

johndej
johndej Dork
12/11/21 11:45 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

On man I miss my 89 hatch now.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
12/11/21 1:48 p.m.

Made it to the U Pull & Pay in Pittsburgh this rainy morning. Saw on Facebooks yesterday they had an RX8 for behind the scenes parts only. Got the seats for $58. 

Then walked the rest if the yard for LS swap harness connectors. What the heck is this thing? Appears VW based. Fred Flinstone modified floors. 

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
12/11/21 1:56 p.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

Bradley GT II.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
12/11/21 2:11 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) :

Thanks! 

Not quite $200 Recaros. But should go nicely in my Colorado:

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/12/21 8:09 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

Something I don't see on the road anymore in Ohio showed up in the junkyard.  Looks like the small front hit must have totaled it.  Check out the rockers and wheel wells.

The interior was as nice as the exterior.

There is one of these locally that appears to be "daily driven" -- or at least it is currently plated and parked in a driveway.  It, too, seems to be rust free.  A true unicorn in Ontario.

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
12/14/21 12:20 a.m.

Went on Saturday.

Grabbed a wheel/tire and the aftermarket intake off this SE-R

Found a RHD Legacy GT. Someone had already grabbed the engine, which I'm assuming was a turbo EJ25 with a good chance of being blown up.....because Subaru

Found this B14 200SX. 1.6L with the 5 speed manual and only 139kms (86k mi) on the odo.

I was super excited when I spotted this Armada because it's the first VK56 I've seen at the yard and I want one bad. This yard's primary focus is in the scrap, so most stuff they get is low value and a bit older. Unfortunately the intake was off and the ports packed with dirt and mud. Honestly still half tempted....

Saab 9-7X. This also excited me, because I thought they all had the aluminum 5.3L. Atlas, it was a 4200...(see what I did there?!) It would have been perfect because this is the import yard, all the LS stuff is normally in the GM yard and the good stuff gets picked over fast.

Found an insanely rust free DC Integra. Slicktop too, shame. I couldn't believe how clean it was underneath.

For reference of what I'm used to, here's a 2014 F150 I had at work a week ago that needs rockers.

Last interesting car was a M45 with the VK45. I was scheming about putting this intake manifold on the VK56 above and trying to piece together a good engine, but looks like there's a bunch of differences.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
4/9/22 1:16 p.m.

Not a lot of good stuff today.

Insanely clean Tempo.  Absolutely mint.  Someone's grandparents must have passed.

And someone had fun getting to the yard.

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
4/10/22 10:28 a.m.

Somebody's got to save that Tempo! It's too damn clean and nice to be stuck in a junkyard. It would fit in perfect at Radwood. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
4/10/22 11:46 a.m.

In reply to earlybroncoguy1 :

Unfortunately I don't think this place allows you to buy cars from them once they are in the yard.

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
4/10/22 9:37 p.m.

I have such mixed emotions about stuff like that.

The strong feelings of saving something very hard to find in fantastic shape are countered completely by my lack of interest in owning it.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
4/10/22 9:44 p.m.
Run_Away said:

I have such mixed emotions about stuff like that.

The strong feelings of saving something very hard to find in fantastic shape are countered completely by my lack of interest in owning it.

100% agreed.

If I had room and the ability to get it out of the yard I'd be a caretaker for it until someone that could love it for what it is could take it, but absolutely no interest in it for myself.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
4/13/22 12:23 p.m.

It was sad seeing this in the yard because of how non rusty it was. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
4/14/22 10:31 a.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

Man, that is depressing. Think of all the people that would work so hard on their rusty shell to get it in that kind of shape. And someone just threw that one out. What junkyard is that? Looks like pick n pull to me.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
4/14/22 10:34 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

It's at Pick -Pull in Cincinnati and I totally agree. 

hybridmomentspass
4/15/22 2:07 p.m.

Went to LKQ in Charlotte today. FOr me, it was a bust. The things I was hunting for were in poor condition, not worth getting.

But getting 6k steps was nice (before 11am) and I enjoyed the stroll.

SERIOUSLY, who the hell leaves this in their car. Something tells me that the driver wasnt eating when the car was wrecked, so that would mean they had to eat before

They had THREE of this gen Prelude, one with a DOHC engine in it

There was also this pair of old Jeeps

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/15/22 3:54 p.m.

How was lkq price and organization wise? Ive never been. Usually just go to pullapart instead 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
4/15/22 4:00 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Organization is usually pretty good.  The app really helps, tells you exactly what spot a vehicle is in

Price wise.... eh.  Price list is on the website but the one near me likes to nickel and dime you for everything attached to whatever you're taking out.

hybridmomentspass
4/16/22 7:21 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

How was lkq price and organization wise? Ive never been. Usually just go to pullapart instead 

Which pull a part do you go to?

LKQ is very well organized...mostly.

I mean, it's organized. If it says it's on row 31 then it'll be on row 31. I say 'mostly' because after a while a car will be taken off of the site but will still be in the yard. Example - two Matrix that were no longer on the site but still there. No real complaints there, but, still.

Pricing - average. 95% is the same pricing, give or take as anyone else. But there's another 5 that's nuts. They want, for example, $90 for an airbag. Most places are 30-40.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qk5xEaD0XNct67qZzzF9FHAq0CELqkGL8BP3ZDO9L8dxaKtUUtcOtfYDnN2EL7CB