Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
1/5/20 4:11 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I think maybe that's a good thing.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
1/5/20 4:45 p.m.

There's 5 JY's within an hours drive from me outside DC.  I don't remember if all of them were Crazy Ray's before LKQ bought them or not (a few def were), but I can't say I've noticed a big change in prices since.  Still generally reasonable, still have a lot of the same people working there.  The elimination of the 40% off Black Friday sale is kinda disappointing though.  The addition of an online inventory list with pics is a godsend though. 

Gotta admit, I've never gone without looking for a specific part(s).  Not sure how that would change my perspective on it.

Shadeux
Shadeux Reader
1/5/20 4:59 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

No hurry, I'm having to wade into the mechanical side at the moment. Headlight buckets can wait. Super thanks for the offer though, will keep it on file.

You can have my lights and aftermarket assembly. I have no need of them once I get the stock bucket setup. I thought they were JESS but it's two seperate lamps.

They are cool headlights. They have a SEVERE cutoff to the left and up until past 12 o'clock. I guess that's European?

Pic of my lamps:

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/5/20 5:28 p.m.

In reply to Shadeux :

Yeah I'd like to get those when you're done. I'd even pay for them. Think I could do a FIA Corvette headlight type cover and move them back some. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
1/5/20 6:22 p.m.

Never seen human parts, but have seen a few that the only way noone was mangled was if they were parked and empty.  Stampie i may try the zen junkyard walk tomorrow, thanks for the idea

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/5/20 7:19 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Try it with no tools. That way you get to enjoy looking without the hassle of carrying everything. Speaking of which I need to make a junkyard cart. 

Will
Will UltraDork
1/5/20 8:34 p.m.

Stuff I found in the junkyard today:

• $1.34
  • 7/16" 1/4 drive Husky socket
  • Cheap adjustable pliers
  • Three live shotgun shells
Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Dork
1/5/20 8:35 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Junkyard cart is the best thing we have done combined with a trailer. 

Holds all the tools and parts and easy to pull. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
1/5/20 8:44 p.m.

I always go in raw, just go back for tools after i find what im after, just never gone without an objective.   

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
1/6/20 11:20 a.m.

I like to say the junkyard is my parts catalog.  :)     That is how I found the 2000 mustang aluminum dual-piston calipers for the mx3 brake upgrade.

oh, btw, stockton has a supercharged mazda millenia, was very tempted to go pull that motor during the 40% sale during the holidays.  For some reason, common sense came over me that said having about 10 engines is enough.

Shadeux
Shadeux Reader
1/6/20 12:03 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

They got your name on them.

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/10/20 10:26 a.m.

Went to the yard today looking for K30 stuff. I got all excited when I asked for an interchange on a 454 waterpump and they gave me a list of 8 vehicles. Every single berking one had a 350. The only other vehicle I was interested in was put out the 2nd and that row was pulled this morning before I got there. Oh well time to wander around.

My Volvo whore friend likes a lot of Jeep side action so I sent him these two pictures.

Next I thought about Dusterdb13 when I saw this one. Lucky for me I took a dump this morning and didn't need to use it for it's intended purpose. It did give up a bellhousing bolt to match up at Fastenal later today.

This was in the very back of the yard. Pretty complete including a locked up dual port engine. 

And you don't see these very often.

Now here's where the junkyard gods smiled on me. As I was walking to the truck stuff in the back this Miata was being carried out by a front end loader. 

It looked like the headlights were missing but I said I'd look on the way out. Got to the front and well shiznit I think that's exactly what Shadeux needs.

They were already unbolted so all I had to do was unplug the wiring from the headlights. Bam that's how I got two Miata headlight assemblies for like no effort. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa New Reader
1/10/20 1:33 p.m.

Is there a junkyard pictures thread?  I feel that would satisfy something deep inside me.

Shadeux
Shadeux Reader
1/10/20 1:42 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Dude! Unreal!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
1/10/20 2:49 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

that jeep pickup is so crisp!

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/10/20 3:14 p.m.

In reply to Shadeux :

I sent you a PM. Let me know if you don't get it. 

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/11/20 2:12 p.m.

Spoiler alert. If you read the BBC thread you know the end result of this post.

This morning in the shower I was trying to decide what I'd do today. I was thinking get the bellhousing bolts in the K30 and then the torque converter bolts but that was going to be a PITA without Lil Stampie to turn the engine for me. I decided I'd go to the other you pull it yard in town and just hope they had a BBC serpentine system and maybe miss marked an engine in the system.

I get there and ask for a 96 Suburban 2500 7.4 water pump. That's the vehicle the said they had but wasn't out in the yard yet. I guess he didn't put in 7.4 cause he hands me a print out with a bunch of 5.7s even some 6.5s and a few 5.3s. There was one 7.4 and it's the one they don't have out yet. 

I decided to start going row by row in the American truck/SUV/van section and just check every GM. A few rows in a see an AC delete pulley on a 350. Figure I'll need it anyways so I grab it and forget to take a picture. Next I come across a square body so I grab it's hood bolts that I've misplaced. 

I thought about grabbing it's AC/Heater box but didn't feel like spending that amount of time without searching the rest of the yard first. 

So I'm wandering row by row opening hoods and seeing a bunch of 350s. On the 25th row in I open a hood and see this.

First my mind says that's not a SBC valve cover. Then my mind said 6.5?  Then it got it right and said berk that's a BBC. I stepped back and what did I see?  Yep the white 96 Suburban 2500 that said wasn't in the yard yet.

I figured the power steering/AC bracket would be the hardest so I started with it. I got one bolt and the nut off the stud when I realized this would be much easier with the radiator and AC condenser out of the way. First up was a 10mm bolt because damn GM decided the mid 90s was the perfect time to half ass convert to metric. I had my metric wrenches but not my metric sockets. Half way through that first 10mm bolt I said berk it I need my sockets and my Milwaukee hacksaw. Went home and was back 30 minutes later ready to go. Got the radiator and condenser out of the way pretty quick.  After that the power steering bracket came out.

Then the water pump and it's fan/pulley.

Then the alternator bracket.

And finally the crank pulley.

Here's the bare naked BBC. I'm slightly ashamed that I had to cut the stud on the power steering side.  I just couldn't get it out enough to get to the power steering lines. 

The other good thing about this trip was my junkyard cart experiment. I have a Northern Tool hand truck and converts to a four wheel cart. We actually bought it to move the BBC from the RV.  I don't recommend one unless you plan on replacing the main wheels as they really suck. Anyway I decided to see how it would do. I went in the yard using hand truck mode.

After I started loading everything up I saw that I needed cart mode.

I think I might make some simple panels so that in cart mode it's got sides like a wagon. I can also see that in a muddy yard or one not as packed as this one the smaller wheels would have problems so I'll look to upgrade them also. Overall though much better than carrying the homer buckets by hand and better than the yard wheelbarrows that are always half falling apart. 

Will
Will UltraDork
1/11/20 2:47 p.m.

I use this as a junkyard cart:

You can get them at Lowe's. Fits in the trunk of my MR2, which was nice before I got my truck. Works pretty well, and I've had upwards of 150 pounds in it.Only bad part is that they wheels dig into mud/gravel bad when it's loaded down. There are some on ebay with much wider wheels that may solve that problem.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
1/11/20 3:12 p.m.

I take my 2 wheel dolly and ratchet straps.  In beast mode i can strap a rear axle to it and then strap my tools on sitting on the backing plate of the axle and wheel it out to the counter quite easily

Shadeux
Shadeux Reader
1/11/20 4:36 p.m.

Hay Stampie,

I was on the back porch today (AKA the outdoor storage room) and unearthed (among other things, a rat!) the unused cart we have. This is not a photo of it but almost the same, but picture the metal sides having wood slats like a Radio Flyer wagon. I can take pics tomorrow.

It's legit and stout, but has not been used for 5-6 years. Since my wife just bought something similar (but folds up) for her business I bet I can get this to you for a song. Interested? 

Edit: 

Can GRM pay you to wander around junkyards and post stuff? Its like Mr. Rogers or Bob Ross or something. We just watch and kinda just zone out. It's really peaceful!

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/11/20 5:11 p.m.

In reply to Shadeux :

I would be interested in that. Maybe we can work a three way trade/deal on the lights and cart. As far as GRM paying me, I'm pretty sure I'm on some blacklist of never hire that guy. 

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/20/20 4:54 p.m.

Today was a holiday at work so I decided to go relax in the junkyard.  Remember that J10 from a couple of weeks ago?  A couple of days after I found it my Jeep/Volvo whore friend mentioned that he would have loved to get that J10 grill but he was sure it'd be gone by the time he got to go to the yard. Last week I tried to grab it but the last six screws kicked my ass. I decided they needed to be drilled out and I didn't have my drill. 

Got to it first thing this morning and it's still there.

These are the screws I couldn't get out.

Didn't take too long and it was out. 

I noticed that it had AC which I figured was a rare option back then on a Jeep so I looked up their value on eBay. Not much value on them but the power steering bracket were $100 plus. Grabbed it and the steering wheel that was sitting on the floorboard inside.

The cashier/manager was in a good mood today so the grill was $30 and the other two were $7.50 each.

Since he was giving good prices I decided to wander around more. Came up on this 62 Pontiac Tempest. 

I went around and looked in the truck because you never know what you'll find good or bad.  I noticed this first and thought that was a strange place for it.

Then this.

Wtf. Look under it and it has a transaxle with a torque tube. 

Well what kind of engine is in this thing?

That's an interesting 4 cylinder. I think Knurled was saying he wanted one of these a while back.  Looking at it I thought I might be able to do something with the bumpers because they were in good shape.   I got the first 1/2 inch bolt out but then turned into a dumbass on the second one. It wouldn't seat down so I figured I needed a deep socket. I even went as far as asking a passbyer if they had a deep 1/2. Then I realized the second nut was actually 9/16. Ok rear bumper off. 

I checked the price list and the closest thing was a chrome truck bumper at $40. I decided to check out and see what they would charge. Manager dude was still in a great mood so I paid $7.50 for a "Chrome trim, Large". Ok let's go pull the front bumper also. Sorry forgot to get a picture of it.

I had run up on this 71 Olds last week so I decided to see if it had anything good.

Crager SS wheels.  In 5 on 5 so it for nothing of mine. 

It has a BOP TH400 which I considered pulling but I already have one at home and after the K30 bellhousing bolts Saturday I really didn't want to repeat the experience. I decided to look up it's brackets as I figure there's not many Oldsmobile V8s out there. Looks like $200 or so for the complete set so let's pull them. 

This is where I decided that I hate Oldsmobile V8s. The berking brackets were in like multiple pieces. Not only that but the Oldsmobile engineers decided that bolts should be hidden and placed in positions that there's no way to use power tools. In fact on some you have to use a thinner 3/8s socket and since are wrench only.  I swear it took an hour but I ended up with a bucket of brackets.

Because they were in so many pieces I paid $40 for them all.

And that was my day in the junkyard. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
1/20/20 5:57 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Grab anything you can off that Tempest! I had one with the "Indy" slant-4 like that one, but with w/a 3spd. It had been hit in the back & we pretty rough though. 

Someone will pay decent money for any good body/interior parts or trim from that car. 

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/20/20 6:06 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

I thought about it. Looking at eBay I see high asking prices for a few things but not a lot of completed items. Maybe because there's just not much available. I might go back this weekend. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
1/20/20 6:26 p.m.

That engine is the passenger side of a 389 cid V8. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6geE4Q7dR3Twwxb3EvNGdfrWYKyA53ExUjZkXM9Gqeu24znyEE91VwlkWxJbOMoK