1 2 3 4 5
Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/20/20 6:33 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Yeah it's cool as hell. I showed it to a few younger guys that were walking by. I want it for my unusual engine collection but I know in shouldn't really start an unusual engine collection. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/20/20 9:19 p.m.

Do what Mickey Thompson did and supercharge the bastard.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
1/20/20 9:31 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Yeah it's cool as hell. I showed it to a few younger guys that were walking by. I want it for my unusual engine collection but I know in shouldn't really start an unusual engine collection. 

It would be pretty damn awesome in either the T or A though. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/20/20 10:38 p.m.

Almost 3.3 liters of awesome. That's .83 liters per cylinder!

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
1/21/20 5:51 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Reminds me of that time when GM made a 305 cid V-6 and stuck it in a truck...

JStrobel80
JStrobel80 New Reader
1/21/20 8:28 a.m.

I have an LKQ walk in junkyard 3 minutes from me in Greensboro, NC. They always have at least one Miata. Theres an NA there right now, complete, in rough-ish shape, 5spd, full engine etc. They have a few supercharged Minis, and plenty of mustangs, camaros, suburbans and tahoes for chevy and ford engines.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
1/21/20 8:37 a.m.
Cousin_Eddie said:

I wish this forum had the little info box by everyone's screen name so we could see where they're from. I can't ever keep it all straight. That yard looks like a place I'd like to visit.

You can add a location in your profile.  If you click a username you'll see if someone has added a name. 

I'm in NE FL as well, but just over an hour from the pick n pull and go-pull-it lots.  I do like to wander the lots whenever I have a good reason to be there (and i'm not carrying too many tools). 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Reader
1/24/20 7:55 p.m.

Hey Stampie

Next time you go yard hopping, can you look for a Carter YFA carb? So long as it is a on a Ford and isn't from a Ford 300ci I6 I should be able to use it.  Preferable is a late 70s 200ci or 250ci like you'd find in a Maverick.

Here's what it looks like

Appreciate it!

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/24/20 8:18 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Fords are kinda foreign to me. This is the yard I like best. Want to search their inventory and tell me which ones to check out?

http://gopullit.com/buyparts

Also have you checked out National Carburetor?  They do nice work.

http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Reader
1/25/20 8:01 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Looks like the selector thing doesn't go back far enough.  Any malaise era Ford should be eligible for the smaller I6 that would have the carb.

I have an email in to them, but realistically I just need the metering rod for the high speed circuit.  Cant find one.  I've pretty much resigned myself to buying a whole carb from them next paycheck, but figured I'd try a hail mary.

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/25/20 9:00 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I'll walk through the Ford car section today and see what I can find. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
1/25/20 9:24 a.m.

No rush at all, but if you stumble across an oil dipstick tube and dipstick for an F-body LS pan, grab that for me would you?

Thanks.

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/25/20 11:03 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

There's only one F body in the yard. I'm checking it for valve covers for Daylan. I'll look for you but doubt it's LS. 

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
1/25/20 11:15 a.m.

Inspired by this thread I decided to go walk a few junkyards that I haven't been to in a couple months to see what was new. I didn't take any tools since I don't need anything. 

First yard has a beetle with the engine still in it. This is the yard that we pulled an engine from a Karmann Ghia for EastsideTim's Super Beetle. 

67 Valiant. I would love to have one of these, this one was slightly reconstructed with body filler. 

Not much more of interest at this yard. A few Volvos (240 and 740) but they had been picked of all the decent parts. 

At the next yard, lots of Jaguars. I love the style of these and want a XJR, I wonder if I would be disappointed settling for a standard XJ6 or XJ8. 

A slightly crunched e30 that looked mostly complete. 6 cylinder automatic drivetrain. 

And the first time I have seen an Allroad in a junkyard. 

Not a lot of room in that engine bay. 

​​​​​​​

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/25/20 11:35 a.m.
Stampie said:That's an interesting 4 cylinder. I think Knurled was saying he wanted one of these a while back. 

How much shipped to 44133

(No, I don't expect you do dig out an all iron half-a-389 and send it up here.  But I would not complain either)

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/25/20 11:41 a.m.
EvanB said:

67 Valiant. I would love to have one of these, this one was slightly reconstructed with body filler. 

Go back with a magnet and check the block.  Some early 60s Slant Sixes had aluminum blocks and are worth their weight in gold.  Although a 67 is probably too new for that.

There is a slim chance it might have a 273, maybe.  Those are also valuable because they are the only Mopar LA engines with adjustable valvetrain.

And the first time I have seen an Allroad in a junkyard. 

Not a lot of room in that engine bay. 

​​​​​​​

See that?  That answers your question from yesterday, about why you should not want a B5 S4.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
1/25/20 12:21 p.m.
EvanB said:

At the next yard, lots of Jaguars. I love the style of these and want a XJR, I wonder if I would be disappointed settling for a standard XJ6 or XJ8. 

Be patient and get the XJR.  You will pay a bit more but TOTALLY worth it.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
1/25/20 12:24 p.m.

the VW bug is an automatic stick shift , so no flywheel as it has a torque converter,

there are 3  weird size bolts that connects the torque converter to the flex plate......

unless you cut off the rear apron the motor will not come the bottom out unless you take off those weird screws , 

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/25/20 2:58 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Nothing in the Ford section old enough to have a carb much less yours. 

In reply to Indy-Guy :

The Camaro ended up being a 6 cylinder.

In reply to Knurled :

With no core your looking at ~$250 for the engine. You want me to personally delivery it then that might cost you. If you're not in a hurry maybe Pat could grab it at the Challenge next year. 

Didn't see much cool stuff today except this Fox body Mustang. That's some sexy box flares. 

Thinking there might be some performance parts on it I opened the hood to see the almighty 2.3 four cylinder. I think these made like 93hp. Why box flare that?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Reader
1/25/20 3:05 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I appreciate the effort, my man.

Those box flares look like something fromone of the recent Word Of The Day posts.

Will
Will UltraDork
1/25/20 3:06 p.m.

I hope you snagged the front fenders. Those seem sellable.

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/25/20 3:41 p.m.

In reply to Will :

I thought about it but I've got enough junk that's sellable. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Reader
1/25/20 5:19 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I could see them putting box flares on an SVO Mustang.  It is missing the hood, but they might've installed SVO parts in a regular 2.3L  Might be worth a closer investigation?

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/25/20 5:31 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

That's what I was hoping but I don't think so.  Here's the exhaust manifold.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Reader
1/25/20 5:36 p.m.

Ah well, can't all be cool cars

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HKukxv9LS6i9og5Hf1ZMXDaqTHukj2MsufvgjhzwBgIv4Z5PSg11Gig5HUObLcbx