2 3 4 5 6
Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/25/20 5:41 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Still cool car just all show no go. Needs a lot more go. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
1/28/20 11:57 a.m.

With the cars that i can afford (Challenge budget DDs for the win!) they all need more go

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
1/28/20 12:11 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

What yards are those, if you don't mind sharing?

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
1/28/20 12:51 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

On the E30:  Pop-out (rear) windows and intact tailights (if OEM) are desirable.  

eastpark
eastpark Reader
1/28/20 3:26 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to Stampie :

Grab anything you can off that Tempest! I had one with the "Indy" slant-4 like that one, but with w/a 3spd. It had been hit in the back & we pretty rough though. 

Someone will pay decent money for any good body/interior parts or trim from that car. 

It's amazing that it's still in the junkyard. That's the second year of the Rope Drive:  https://barnfinds.com/first-year-rope-drive-1961-pontiac-tempest/

Shadeux
Shadeux HalfDork
1/28/20 4:30 p.m.

Stampie!

Start a GoFundMe page and interested parties can give you money to wander around junkyards all day and look for weird stuff!

You just have a certain something that comes across well when you share your walks. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
1/28/20 4:38 p.m.
Shadeux said:

Stampie!

Start a GoFundMe page and interested parties can give you money to wander around junkyards all day and look for weird stuff!

You just have a certain something that comes across well when you share your walks. 

Motor Trend on Demand has exactly what you describe: a show called "Junkyard Gold"

It's really cool.  I'm in for a Stampie version too.

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
1/28/20 5:37 p.m.
Aaron_King said:

In reply to EvanB :

What yards are those, if you don't mind sharing?

First one is Woody's, second is Edison's just down the road. I like them since they don't have an entry fee like pick and pull and are relatively close to my house. They also get more weird stuff. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/28/20 8:15 p.m.

Woodys and Edison are both awesome. Woodys holds on to cars forever sometimes which is great when they get things like Alfa 164s in. I haven't been to a junkyard in a few years the kids killed my idle junkyard perusing time. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
1/28/20 8:57 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

Thanks, when it gets a little warmer I will have to check them out  

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/28/20 8:59 p.m.
dculberson said:

Woodys and Edison are both awesome. Woodys holds on to cars forever sometimes which is great when they get things like Alfa 164s in. I haven't been to a junkyard in a few years the kids killed my idle junkyard perusing time. 

So you're saying there's a chance I can grab the head off of the nearly complete NG-engined Audi 100 that we saw there last year?

The BS yards up here scrap cars after they have been on the ground for two weeks, if they don't just get dropped straight into the Granolafier first.  I overheard the guy who runs a local yard say he crushes 80 cars a week before they even get to the yard, and he doesn't like to bother with putting anything over 5 years old on the yard because old cars don't make him any money.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/28/20 10:29 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

There is a chance. They do scrap cars, but the older stuff they let stew for a while. the old guy might be right, they do need to keep the cars burning through to keep paying the bills. Woodys has been around so long I don't even know if they have bills any more. 

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
1/29/20 6:21 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Nope, the Audi is gone. But they still have the remains of a Fiat 124 that has been sitting there for years. There was a Yugo there that was just a bare rusty shell that sat around for at least 5 years, probably more. 

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
2/15/20 5:24 p.m.

Not really a junkyard but we took a trip to Zephyrhills for a swap meet today. First we stopped to see Shadeux and Mrs Shadeux on the way down. We traded headlight stuff (his were much nicer than I thought) and he gave us our new junkyard cart.

I'll have to try it out next weekend.

This morning we hit the swap meet.  First we found a Matchbox Lotus Europa.

Next we found these BBC valve covers. Four for $10.  I needed one for the oil fill since the RV oil fill was going to require a custom cap. They offered 2 for $5 and I came back at 4 for $8. Figure I can pick the best ones and then sell the other 4 I don't use.

Finally we stopped on the way home to pick up this Oxy/Acetylene torch set for $75.

Sorry to say that I didn't hear a text message from Mr. Asa so we missed meeting him. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Reader
2/15/20 6:21 p.m.

E36 M3 happens.  Still, it was a decent swap meet.

Dad and I had fun.  Found a couple guys that promised that (at home, "no one's asked for one of those in 20 years") they had some Mustang parts I was looking for, got their cards.  Dad and I both picked up a couple $20s worth of odds and ends.

bradyzq
bradyzq Dork
2/15/20 8:34 p.m.

Zen in the junkyard thread. 

Just reading this thread is Zen! 

Please keep on keeping on. 

Shadeux
Shadeux HalfDork
2/16/20 5:03 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

The cart in action! I'm glad it's being used. I've not touched it in six years, so it needs a good home.

Thanks for the headlight assemblies -  they are being cleaned and painted as I write. Or, well, as the two hours I've had to work on them this weekend. frown

ChrisLS8
ChrisLS8 New Reader
2/16/20 5:38 p.m.

I love roaming around the yard. I went early this morning and went to Pick N pull and found a low mileage 200sx and it was a 98 so I grabbed the all black minty window sash trim , door welt rubber and tail lights which I think look better. 

Also a tip you can sign up on Row52.com and get text alerts if you want to be the first person for a certain car

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
2/29/20 4:57 p.m.

I thought I'd get back out to the yard sooner but stuff keep coming up. Marty the junkyard cart got his first junkyard visit.

Remember that wide body Fox Mustang?  I had a request to pull the wide body fenders. I hoped to have done it a couple of weeks ago but today was my first chance. Was glad to see it still in it's spot and all the fenders there. 

First rear flare came off pretty easy after I figured out where it was fiberglassed on. 

My first battery died cutting the bolts on the second fender. No big deal as I had one in the impact so used it to finish that fender. 

I always start with the hardest part as it gets easier as I work to the finish. I jump on the passenger front fender and discover out of the 10 or so bolts I'm going to have to cut at least 8. Get it off and start on the drivers front. It's bolts are rusted worse than the passenger side so I start cutting.  On the second bolt my other battery dies. Hmm. That's not good.

Decided the best course of action is to drive home to charge a battery.  While it charges I run to Home Depot to grab some more sawzall blades. Get back home and throw a pizza in the oven it's been on the charger about 90 minutes.  Close enough.

Get back to the yard and with a charged battery and new blade it just takes minutes to get the last fender off.

I felt bad for the Mustang. I mean it really only had one thing going for it in life. I bet it was proud of its wide body. Now I've removed it and it's just a normal POS 2.3 Mustang.

This morning Lil Stampie was flying up to DC for a school trip. The ex wanted to go so we took her Suburban. Her night vision sucks and since it was 4am she asked me to drive. I knew that her driver's side mirror was bouncy but boy did it suck after driving it for a while. 

I wondered over to the GM section and found a 97 Suburban that must have just been put out yesterday. It had a good mirror and the volume knob she was missing. Grabbed those and a HD alternator I noticed sitting in an Escalade a couple of spots over. That'll go in the K30 even though I just bought another alternator for it a few weeks back.

I think the best thing today was Marty proved to be a good junkyard kart. It held everything and was easy to move around even in the mud. I even got a couple of compliments on it from other people. 

Shadeux
Shadeux HalfDork
2/29/20 5:37 p.m.

“Marty,” huh? I never would have thought of that. My wife has to name all of our cars, and she approves of the name Marty and loved seeing the cart in action. Thank you for that!

A brief history of the cart: In Ocala there is a yearly Mother’s day celebration that involves everyone tromping across the local muni golf course and plonking their chairs down in a fairway and eating and drinking until it’s dark and then there is a big fireworks show. My mom loved going each year.

It’s an ever-escalating event. Each year people try to outdo last year’s effort. Most people carried stuff in, but I was an earlier adopter of using a cart, which doubled as a table when waiting for dark. As some people have little sense, while they arrived in daylight, after the fireworks show it was dark, and then 1000 thousand people couldn’t see E36 M3 in the middle of a dark golf course. The last year we used the cart I upgraded to 8 magnetic LED lights on the cart and it had headlights, down lights for walking, and tail lights for not getting run over. I overheard lots of favorable comments about that lighting going back to the car. 

So, I think it’s hauled a bag of mulch once. Other than that it’s been a fancy cart. I'm sure Marty is much happier being out and about and being useful! laugh

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
2/29/20 6:09 p.m.

In reply to Shadeux :

Sometimes things have to find their calling in life. I often wondered that about the Q45. I think the Q45 identities as a race car and was bored with it's early life as a luxury car then drug dealer wheels. 

itsarebuild
itsarebuild Dork
3/9/20 4:40 p.m.

Went to the north Atlanta pull a part today. We finally had a few days in a row without rain and I’ve been going through withdrawals since this thread surfaced.

went in search of some e30 parts but not much was left of the only one I could find in the local yards.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild Dork
3/9/20 4:43 p.m.

There was an Alfa Romeo nearby and 2 I wrecked Mitsubishi 3000gts. There was also a very good reminder to check the vehicle stand sturdiness before going underneath......

Shadeux
Shadeux HalfDork
3/9/20 5:19 p.m.

In reply to itsarebuild :

At first glance I thought that was Chevette!

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
3/9/20 5:22 p.m.

In reply to itsarebuild :

Wonder why someone left the M20 on the ground. 

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kxxnULQ9kflk0YKCDySmfE7zmM2ZsNz13mLffPaKb3d64wthckZLCo7yoR9NzGk2