HoserRacing
HoserRacing HalfDork
5/23/18 8:09 a.m.

I've run the Direzza ZII and the Hankook R-S3, getting ready to order a new set of tires for Daytona, and trying to pick between the new ZIII and the R-S4.  Who can give me feedback on them?  How do they compare to the older model, do they last as long?  I'm running Z31 300ZX's, and I can usually get a full 14-16 hours out of a set of either one, want to make sure I don't get something that doesn't last as long.  Thanks!

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
5/23/18 8:30 a.m.

I think the Z3 are a bit new to the US market to have seen a lot of Champcar usage yet

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
5/23/18 8:33 a.m.

We switched to the RS4 for our Lemons Civic just recently.  Our race was cut short but in a full day of testing and half a day of racing we show no notable wear on them.  Our fast times were similar to what we had when on ZII stars, but our setup changed a bit between the comparisons, not all for the better.  Overall, they seem to grip a little less than the re71 and RivalS but wear much better, at least as well as the ZII*.  

From the last GRM tire test, the ZIII wasn’t any faster than the ZII*, and I’ve heard it is the same compound with a tread design change.  

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/23/18 10:49 a.m.

We’ve run the Bridgestone’s on our 350Z a couple of weekends.  Once at NCM (in the snow to start Saturday!) and at MSR-Houston.  It was all we could do to get them to last 8 hours.

At our next race, I think we’ll be running the Hankooks, which from what I saw at MSR-H, held up well on other cars.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
5/23/18 10:51 a.m.

I totally thought someone was talking about running an Audi RS4 or BMW Z3 in WRL.

Damn.

HoserRacing
HoserRacing HalfDork
5/24/18 9:30 a.m.

Sorry, no such luck.  There may be a Z3 in WRL, I'm pretty sure I've seen a Z4 in WRL.  

ross2004
ross2004 Reader
5/24/18 10:32 a.m.

I don't have anything on the ZIII, but we ran the RS4 on our Prelude at a 12 hr CC race in March, and I was very pleased with them. I'd estimate the front's could do a solid 24 hrs without even rotating, and the rears looked merely scrubbed in (except for one was getting pretty square by the end of the race...) We're under tired with a 205/50/15, but the tire was very predicable, nicely audible, and didn't get greasy when pushed. No question I'll be buying them again.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
5/24/18 11:48 a.m.

We have raced on teh RS4 for the last year.  They are AWESOME!

They have great heat resistance, wear like iron, and we are setting fast laps on them.

DO EET.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
5/24/18 1:01 p.m.

Have you thought about Maxxis? If they do their summer Sale it was the cheapest. They do have a contigency program through WRL and Champ.

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
5/24/18 2:14 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

We have raced on teh RS4 for the last year.  They are AWESOME!

They have great heat resistance, wear like iron, and we are setting fast laps on them.

DO EET.

Only have HPDE experience with them so far but I like the RS-4s a lot and they didnt gummy at all until the veeeeeerry end of a 30minute lapping session and even then it was looser not greasy

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
5/24/18 7:45 p.m.

The RS4 is better than the 3 on every way.  Plus, it's available on a 245/40 15.

HoserRacing
HoserRacing HalfDork
5/24/18 8:42 p.m.

Ok, pulled the trigger.  We'll be at Daytona in a couple of weeks with WRL and see how the RS4's do.  Thanks!

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/25/18 10:38 a.m.

Need another driver?  Doesn’t look like the 350Z is gonna make the trip over.

HoserRacing
HoserRacing HalfDork
5/25/18 11:37 a.m.

Yep, we've got room, hadn't planned on going by my partner is jonesing for track time, I've only got one renter lined up, so I've got two 2 hour stints available.  Shoot me an e-mail  HoserRacing (at)  gmail    Thanks!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6SQxXMcD9XeKmqQClRdnjEBJkMWHyozVNN5jkeKOByWKFHU1QbwT3KYjcLraOal8