1 2 3 4
petegossett
petegossett SuperDork
4/25/10 7:30 p.m.

Here's my 66 Kaiser-Jeep I picked up last year, though I just started on it on Easter. Probably won't be on the road till next year, though.

66 CJ5

Keith
Keith SuperDork
4/26/10 9:08 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote:
Teh E36 M3 wrote: When the zombies come, I'm going for speed and forest road capability rather than rock crawling. I'm thinking the 50 cal on the roof will keep the undead undead.
You are thinking like I am, a well defended vehicle can easy outpace a zombie, all you need is a couple of decent rifles and a good marksman.

But what happens when they overwhelm you? It will happen. That's when you need the low range and the snowplow.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
4/26/10 9:14 a.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: When the zombies come, I'm going for speed and forest road capability rather than rock crawling. I'm thinking the 50 cal on the roof will keep the undead undead. Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart. I buy all of my boom sticks there. Subarus are like ants and cockroaches. We will win.

The zombies are pragmatic. They will go where the most people are. Any hack in an accord can take on the forest roads around here. Hence, zombies will be there as well. In the mean time, I will be the only guy within 5 miles where I end up. What kind of zombie mob wants to track down only a couple of available brains in the middle of nowhere. Duh.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
4/26/10 9:45 a.m.

Plus - it's easier to defend rocky high-ground.

rjones33
rjones33 New Reader
4/26/10 10:19 a.m.

In reply to Tighe:

Moar pixors pls.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
4/26/10 10:28 a.m.
Keith wrote:
aussiesmg wrote:
Teh E36 M3 wrote: When the zombies come, I'm going for speed and forest road capability rather than rock crawling. I'm thinking the 50 cal on the roof will keep the undead undead.
You are thinking like I am, a well defended vehicle can easy outpace a zombie, all you need is a couple of decent rifles and a good marksman.
But what happens when they overwhelm you? It will happen. That's when you need the low range and the snowplow.

Nope, at walking pace they are easy pickings, vehicle needs to be defensible and able to bowl over more than one zombie in front without damaging the radiator and suspension.

For when the situation becomes dangerous, it's time to use that throttle and get out of the area.

NB: mine is an attack style vehicle not an escape vehicle.

That said I am actively seeking a front bush bar that I can adapt to my vehicle. Also a swivel seat & rifle stand for the bed.

I am building window protection also.

Then a stock of both molatovs and crowbars/axes for when they get too close.

Yeah I have too much time to think.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
4/26/10 11:54 a.m.

Sometimes I wonder if you guys have ever read the ZSG. Lesson one with cars "get out of the car, and on to a bike"

Amatures...

Keith
Keith SuperDork
4/26/10 12:03 p.m.

I used to be a Cub Scout leader when I was in high school. Lemme tell you, one or two 8-year-olds aren't hard to handle. But when a whole pack of them takes you on, you're gonna get overwhelmed.

I forsee the same in zombie defense - you can pick 'em off one by one for a while, but they're going to keep coming. A fast car only works until something happens to stop you, then you need the ability to, say, climb over a mound of vanquished zombies.

That said, look to the Aussies for roo bars. Anything that can take out a boomer should do just fine on the undead.

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
4/26/10 12:17 p.m.

you would all die , I would live.

10 pts for knowing what movie this is from

klipless
klipless Reader
4/26/10 12:23 p.m.

In reply to AutoXR:

I have no idea, but I think I just might have found my new favorite flick.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
4/26/10 12:30 p.m.
AutoXR wrote: you would all die , I would live. 10 pts for knowing what movie this is from

I don't want to ruin it right away, but does that "car" end up berkeleying the E36 M3 out of another car? Literally?

bluesideup
bluesideup New Reader
4/26/10 12:40 p.m.

Lethal Weapon. Can't remember if it was 1,2, or 3.

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
4/26/10 12:42 p.m.

Lethal Weapon? No, Mel gibson is not manly enough to drive this bad boy.

Only men who can escape chinatown and beat thunderlips have a cajones to drive this beast

it's all about dancing and money

Tighe
Tighe New Reader
4/26/10 12:50 p.m.
rjones33 wrote: Moar pixors pls.

Flickr Set

Here you go. These are from a day or so after I bought it. The radio (Alpine, in a truck with no locks!) and decal under the rear plate have since been removed. I keep meaning to get some more pics, including some action shots.

oldtin
oldtin Reader
4/26/10 12:59 p.m.

I would have gone for a .50, but there's this.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Reader
4/26/10 1:10 p.m.
AutoXR wrote: you would all die , I would live. 10 pts for knowing what movie this is from

Tango & Cash. Possibly one of the worst movies I've ever watched. But my wife is a big Kurt Rusell fan.

For the Zombies I'll have to use my CTD Ram 4x4. Might be able to distill chunks of the undead into some sort of biodiesel.

-Rob

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
4/26/10 1:18 p.m.

Bingo.

that movie was Oscar worthy... Well the truck rolling on big Welds sure does

bluesideup
bluesideup New Reader
4/26/10 1:21 p.m.

Ah I knew it was someone who sported a serious mullet in the movie. Almost required one just to sit in the driver's seat.

It looks like it had more zombie window armor in a previous iteration.

http://starcarcentral.com/tango.html

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
4/26/10 2:04 p.m.
Tighe wrote: I've got seating for nine more when the inevitable goes down...There are some really sharp trucks in this thread too. IMG_0905

9 passenger seating is unnecessary. One in every four people in a zombie movie has already been infected. You will end up regretting having allowed them in.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
4/26/10 3:41 p.m.

A pretty good standard lead on a walking zombie crossing at 90 degrees is 2 mil dots. If the zombie is running, 4 mil dots. Adjust for angle other than 90, add some more for extreme range zombies, but 2 is pretty close for a guess for most cartridges.

Tighe
Tighe New Reader
4/26/10 5:18 p.m.

There's a cage between the cab and the back. If the passengers get too unruly I can always point towards a cliff and bail out.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Reader
4/26/10 8:46 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote:
Keith wrote:
aussiesmg wrote:
Nope, at walking pace they are easy pickings, vehicle needs to be defensible and able to bowl over more than one zombie in front without damaging the radiator and suspension. For when the situation becomes dangerous, it's time to use that throttle and get out of the area. NB: mine is an attack style vehicle not an escape vehicle. That said I am actively seeking a front bush bar that I can adapt to my vehicle. Also a swivel seat & rifle stand for the bed. I am building window protection also. Then a stock of both molatovs and crowbars/axes for when they get too close. Yeah I have too much time to think.

If you find a bush bar I can attach to the front of the subaru, I'll expect to the the first to know! Either that or a modified train cow-catcher.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
4/26/10 9:58 p.m.

Subarus and roo bars go together like XXXX and a steak sandwich!

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
4/26/10 10:16 p.m.
Keith wrote: Subarus and roo bars go together like XXXX and a steak sandwich!

Stuff like this is why I thought subarus where from austrailia when I was 9.

Actually It was the Croc Dundee comercials when the outback was first released...

Carson
Carson Dork
4/26/10 10:24 p.m.
Keith wrote:

What is that graphic? It looks like a orange thong wearing polar bear holding a Fanta.

Is that something I don't know about?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3IEvbGh9XuFmn8znjdPHYX8vzjs9QAlvOFGRWTV4BGyN1wwfsm9uqM7jkxFdidlR