stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
1/3/19 8:44 p.m.

I happened across this video of a 1979 Superbike race at Laguna Seca: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc-dB4DB7dg Freddie Spencer won on a Honday, Wes Cooley was second on a Suzuki (I have a GS1000S Wes Cooley replica myself.) smiley 

They have some on-bike video included, which was pretty primitive stuff compared to today.

Watching those guys horse those big old heavy bikes around a course is impressive, it was quite a workout.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
1/3/19 9:01 p.m.

I loved watching Eddie, Freddie, Wes, an King Kenny BItD.  The early Superbike racing was incredibly cool, and fun to watch.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
1/3/19 9:25 p.m.

In 1979 I was signed up for a motorcycle road racing class but the class got canceled for some reason, and I never got back to it again.  I kind of regretted it at the time, but the older I got the less I was enthused about racing something that could spit me off in a corner.  wink It was a lot of fun to watch, though - I saw those guys race at Brainerd a few times.  Much later in life I did get into racing, but with four wheels - about ten years' worth of Spec Racer Ford.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
1/3/19 10:56 p.m.

My last bike was a 79 Suzuki GS 1000L back in the 80's. Was fast for the era.

MAK
MAK New Reader
1/9/19 3:25 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

That was fast for any era.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bvdIa6w2C8qI5dZFDLAvmcQk132TpOXZbcMXEdTWoyvA1gh21M6IPu3MSDIkPH6K