Jimbo86
Jimbo86 New Reader
6/30/19 8:11 p.m.

Long time lurker, first time poster. (Other than responding to for sale ads)

Recently picked up a project bike. 2001 GSXR 750 with only 9,500 Miles. Starts up and runs no problem but I am having issues with the clutch.

When in gear and the clutch lever pulled all the way in, the clutch will not disengage. (the rear wheel will spin when off the ground) I have followed the service manual regarding a clutch adjustment and it does not help. I have tried tightening the adjustment screw on the clutch all the way in to the point that it makes a funny noise. After I backed it out only one full turn and the clutch would still engage with the lever pulled all the way in. I think there might be something else wrong with the clutch other than adjustment.

Thanks in advance!

James

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
6/30/19 9:56 p.m.

James

i am away from my bikes at the moment. My 98 GSXR has 77,000 miles and my 02 has 38,000 miles

I bought them both new, and both still have original clutches

if i can go home, look at it in person, might be able to offer some advice

Rodan
Rodan Dork
7/1/19 9:07 a.m.

I have owned a lot of bikes over 35+ years of riding.  All of them would do what you're describing, and most would even turn the wheel in neutral.

Can you stop/hold the tire with your hand?  If so, I wouldn't worry about it... some rotational energy is going to get transferred to the drive, even with the clutch fully disengaged.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
7/1/19 9:24 a.m.

In reply to Jimbo86 :

The plates might be stuck- can you put it in first (engine off), pull the clutch, and roll the bike around to try to break it loose?

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
7/1/19 10:55 a.m.

Due to the oil between the steel and fiber plates in the clutch, you will always have drag as previously stated. If you are doing this with the back wheel off the ground, it will rotate. 

With the bike on the ground with you sitting on it, can you start it in neutral? If so, when you pull in the clutch lever and engage first gear, does it stall? Does it lurch forward? 

If you have the basket/springs torqued correctly and the clutch rod adjusted as per the manual, the last item to set is the clutch lever free-play(2-3mm). 

A bit bit more info might help the members better diagnose the issue. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
7/1/19 8:20 p.m.

Lots of good info and suggestions. If the above doesn't help, maybe the clutch cable is stretched out and needs to be replaced?

Jimbo86
Jimbo86 New Reader
8/2/19 8:56 p.m.

Update:

Was out of the country for a few weeks but finally got back around to wrenching on the bike.

I put the bike back on the ground and took it for a test ride and the clutch is working great. Seems like I was worried about nothing and had adjusted it correctly.

My next issue stems from the rear brake light. I purchased a rear LED under tail as the bike was bought without rear lights. I wired everything up and from what I can tell my taillights and my rear turn signals are working correctly however my rear brake lights are not coming on with either the front brake lever or the foot pedal. I used a voltmeter to test the power at the harness inside the rear cowl where the rear lights plug in and I am not receiving any power at the harness. I tested the front lever switch with the ohmmeter and am getting a reading when I close the switch so I assume that the switch is working. Have also checked all the fuses in the fuse box and they are all in working order.

Is there a fuse that I am missing or do I need to trace the wire from the front brake lever all the way to the rear brake light harness as I can't get power?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
8/3/19 9:58 a.m.

Check for power at both brake light switches.   Should be hot on one side with no brakes and hot on both with brakes (and key on of course). 

If so, then you have a break in the wiring after the switches. 

If not, check fuses and then wiring.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m4MkEHilWW0nBF42tROqGbvruE2vzCveHLdExcfakZAzZn0O9sdyHKAO84V0sh2F