octavious
octavious Dork
10/20/19 4:56 p.m.

A very close friend of mine, think brother from another mother, his wife has lymphatic cancer. She is currently in chemotherapy to be followed by radiation. As bad as it is, it seems to be going well.  

When she was a kid her family had a Yamaha 4 Zinger, it's blue, and she and her 3 siblings would ride around on it.  She and my friend have 4 kids, and she's like to see them riding around third place on the 4 Zinger.   I brought it to my house with the idea to get it running and return it so her kids can enjoy it.  Well I put new non-ethanol gas in it, it is still running the oil tank, and I assume the mixer still works, because I had it running,, but if I tried to give it throttle it would die with a quick shot of carb cleaner. A couple more pulls on the chord and it would hold an idle, but if I gave it throttle it died.  I had it running like this twice and then it won't ever start anymore.  It tries but no go. I pulled the fuel line of the peacock, and the gravity flow from the tank to the carb works just fine.

I'm not a two stroke or carb guy, but I really want to see if I can get this running for her.  What do I need to do now? 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy SuperDork
10/20/19 6:10 p.m.

Pull the carb, soak in pine sol for a few days. 

Sounds like you just have clogged jets. They may require more cleaning than as stated above. Think tiny welding tip drills.

Slippery
Slippery UltraDork
10/20/19 6:25 p.m.

Yes, definitely clogged jets. 

As wheelsmithy said, remove the carb and put it in carb cleaner. I usually buy metal brushes from HF and remove a few bristles and use those to clean the jets. 

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
10/21/19 7:02 a.m.

There is a pilot jet in the carb that is clogged with gum deposits from evaporated gas. The metering holes in it are tiny and need to be cleaned and opened back up. 

- remove the carb.

- remove the fuel bowl.

- remove the float pin, float and needle valve.

- you will see a recessed cavity and up inside will be a small brass jet with a slot in it. Get the appropriate width screwdriver and GENTLY try to unscrew it. DONT STRIP IT or you will be throwing the carb away. This will be the pilot jet and either the hole in the end or the series of holes on the side will be plugged up. 

No Time
No Time Dork
10/21/19 7:57 a.m.

I would consider a small investment of around $10 and order new jets (main and pilot).

They can be cleaned, but the holes are tiny and if you need to buy tools (drill bits, etc) to clean them then you aren't saving  much money. If you do go with cleaning, then dental picks, needles, and flossing brushes can help clean out the small openings in the jets  

Pipe cleaners can be used for the passages in the carb body, just make sure you don't leave lint in it. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
10/21/19 10:05 a.m.

Never run anything steel through a jet unless you're changing the size of the jet.

Copper wire and a little patience is the trick.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
10/28/19 11:46 a.m.

Just box up the carb and send it to me. I clean it in my heated ultra sonic unit. and send it back ready to run.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
10/28/19 11:51 a.m.

Sent you my address.

Also its common for theses to close up the exhaust ports with carbon.  While the carbs in transit put the exhaust pipe turn the motor over slowly until the piston passes the bottom of the exhaust port. Use a tip of a file or exacto knife and scrape the carbon from the port then flush with carb cleaner and compressed air.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/6/19 11:40 a.m.

Searching...heated ultrasonic 

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/6/19 11:43 a.m.

Found heated ultrasonic parts cleaner.

So can I just pull off the fuel lines and dunk the whole carb for cleaning?  I have a small generator and leaf blower that could use this treatment.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
12/24/19 9:06 a.m.

Akylekoz.  I just saw this yes you can dunk the carb whole to start BUT you'll need to open it up after its de-crusted.  and do the parts separately.  I use a plastic snap lockbox for jets and small parts with a rubber band around it.  Zip lock bags DO NOT HOLD UP so you'll be draining and sifting though the gunk at the bottom....  BTDT.  Mine is 28 gallons so its a real pain.

plastic box

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
12/24/19 9:07 a.m.

small leak blower carbs you will need to replace the rubber diaphragms 9 times out of 10 they general rip during disassemble.

Denis123
Denis123 New Reader
12/31/19 8:10 a.m.

Is very good if you can remove the carb and put it in carb cleaner

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yj4Y2Moobd2odySUc0D8UB0WUre8oOSuYAVnH2NltWrXhE2wU51EsnDgiFjwY3Ww