Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
10/24/22 8:41 a.m.

Since they have been small, all of our kids have asked for a motorcycle.  Ok, the youngest didn't, but the other 3 have.  Our response has always been, "Learn to ride a bike, and we will."

Of those three, 2 can now.  To be fair, they all can.  The eldest just refuses without training wheels on it.  I have watched him ride, and he doesn't need them.  He also proceeded to get onto my wife one day for, "You are an irresponsible parent, you would be responsible for me getting hurt on that!"

After saying that....this is a gift for the twins.  I guess.  But, hoping that maybe they will get to the point of wanting to learn and trying bikes if they see the others on this. 

What do I have????

Currently, I have a sketchy Doodle Bug style bike.  It has a predator engine on it.  Which has an intake from a civic and an adapter to make it fit.  All made from a 2x6.  Rear brake setup is a hydraulic style with adapter from some 1/4" aluminum plate I cut on a drill press.  The worst is that the bearing on the front end was mangled, and was replaced with wood.  This makes it sketchy as all get out.  The bike will also do 35mph.  THIRTY-FIVE MILES PER HOUR!!!!

The wife said to redo the bike and give to the kids as it is.  Maybe a little less janky......  I generally think that the greater than 6.5hp engine may need to be detuned for a starter bike.

Que in the new stuff!

I kept an eye out for something a bit more stock.  I long since lost the original intake.  While that is only a few dollars to get, its money!  I ran across a "Custom Mini Bike" that has a factory stock predator. Should be a bit lower in power. So, I have an engine, and I now have a new frame for Daddy to use. 

BUT, thats still over 5 horse, which could get them to 30+mph....hhmmm.

This weekend was garage sale time.  So, pulled out some old stuff, sold some things.  Still did not sell all of it. As we put the push mower to the curb, I noticed it.  4.5hp.  Hmmmm.

Whats the plan???

As of now, Im gonna pull the engine from the mower and convert it to a horizontal shaft.  Strip the frame and repaint to their favorite colors.  Plus, I did the blue glitter paint more for me, so its cool.  

Ill have to get some pics later to post.  I need to get a sandblaster setup I think to help.  Plus, this could give me 2 engines to use on one pite bike???  Should I?  thats another project Im not too.  Focus......I gotta focus......

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
12/19/22 8:15 p.m.

Alright, this has been moving along.

Though, the cold weather put enough of a hit on us that I am having cracking in the paint.  This was when it was in the mid-50's the other day.  So, that's a pain.

I have figured out engines, controls, and the like.

Also, have kid 1 pick paint colors.  *none of the kids were told what the paint was for, just that I needed a primary and secondary* A bright blue and chrome was the choice.   Just trying to clean up the cracking and I should be ready for assembly. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/19/22 9:28 p.m.

I like mini bikes and have a few. Im almost 6' tall, about 230lbs and a mini bike with a original 200cc motor will wheelie and try to kill me regularly. Also it does over 40mph. If i opened up the exhaust i'd hit closer to 60mph. 
 I couldnt imagine letting a kid on one. 

that said, im planning on putting a 420cc clone on a 200 baja frame i have. 

i think the tiny predator, 80cc or so would be great for a kids starter rig, especially if you geared down the drive with a jackshaft. 

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
12/20/22 9:34 a.m.

So, I changed out some things from original.  I started with the predator.  The more I thought, the more I wasnt sure immenent death of the kids was a great idea.  The Vertical to horizontal shaft conversion has some issues.  So I looked a bit.

Searched around and figured out, offseason for lawn stuff.  Plus, edgers go cheap. I ran across one for $20, the same as this:Thats a 2.5 horse drop.  It aint half, but its way lower. 

This sat for a few years, so I just ordered a Carb and swapped it.  Fired right up then.

Also, I needed a new clutch.  This has a 5/16? shaft, so the old one wouldnt fit. This one has a 2 tooth drop. So, it should be quicker accelerating, but drop the top speed.  With the less power on the bike that should allow for no faster acceleration. Worse case, Ill get another gear set to make it slower.

We did travel to the local Cycle gear and got, Helmet, pads, gloves for them.  They are all the same sizeish at the moment, so we can take advantage of that. 

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
12/23/22 5:12 p.m.

Paint is drying.   Has to take the rear down and respray it.

Yup,  down to the wire

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
12/27/22 9:45 a.m.

Yes!  What a great project.  Did Santa deliver in time?

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
12/28/22 9:26 a.m.

Kinda, the great thing is, kids can help.

So, I changed the engine out, that put the clutch out further. I set the engine in, and have it as far offset as I felt I wanted.  So, I'll have to do aome crank mods.  I'll put more on that later.  

Also, the kids all sat on it now, I need to build a guard so their ankles don't get chewed up.

But, here is pretty much how it is.  85% there and we can button the rest up pretty quick.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G8m4NzylE8xOPX4QcZspwy5cCYsMpdy8R0us6GWnwwn5zEBoqjG4H0fwGoR1QbQo