1 2
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/15/21 8:08 p.m.

Waiting is so hard! My Poseidon should be here in a few weeks!!!

Tom Suddard
3/27/21 4:55 p.m.

Today was delivery day!

The bike came really well packed, and I couldn't find any damage from shipping. Assembly and tuning took about 30 min. 

I swapped my seat and pedals from the Miyata and took it on a gentle 15-mile test ride. After a few seat adjustments, I think it's PERFECT. Seriously, this thing is great. I can keep up with Nicole on pavement, but this also soaks up gravel like a champ. I'd describe the geometry as "comfortable but playful." On the drops I'm decently stretched out to hide from the wind, but on the hoods I can bunny hop and jump curbs and generally be stupid. It's pretty nimble, too. 

All in all, 10/10 would recommend! 

Tom Suddard
3/29/21 2:58 p.m.

Okay, question for the crowd: What's the best way to carry stuff on this bike? I have a set of small panniers that were great on the Miyata for the occasional ride to work/beach/etc. I had a rear rack on that bike and didn't mind it, but I also never bunny hopped on it just because it was so long and heavy to begin with.

Do I put a rear rack on and diminish the fun factor?

Do I put a front rack on like a real touring nerd? Is that better for some reason?

Do I buy a seat bag and pack light? I'd have to use a messenger bag or backpack for my laptop with this method.

Handlebar bag? Frame bag?

Something I haven't thought of?

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/29/21 9:57 p.m.

Giant saddle bag or handlebar bags have the right look for the gravel crowd but I'm still a fan of a nice rack when you need to carry things like you are talking about. You already have panniers that work for you so I think that will be the easy/cheap option. Provided the rack is aluminum and decent quality I don't think you will notice when there is nothing mounted to it (no rattles, very little weight). Racks are nice too as it is easy to carry a proper u-lock with them when you need to lock the bike up somewhere. Get a nice black anodized aluminum rack and it will blend in nice with the rest of the bike.

There's a time and place for all the bikepacking gear (when you are bikepacking) but I don't think it is well suited for runs to the store or work. Backpacks can be a good option but they tend to make your back sweaty. 

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/29/21 10:13 p.m.

Just as some examples these two racks from Nashbar look good but I would shop around for a good deal. I like racks that have the mounts going to top of the seatstays made from the same tubular metal as the rest of the rack, they are more secure than the cheaper ones that use flat bar bent to shape and look better.

BLACKBURN GRID 2 TOP DECK

AXIOM JOURNEY REAR RACK

Any rack should have a rack strap on it at all times, it makes strapping down oddball things really easy and worth the $7

TRANSIT RACK STRAP

EricM
EricM SuperDork
4/1/21 4:23 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Drive side out

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
4/1/21 5:20 p.m.

Quote "Okay, question for the crowd: What's the best way to carry stuff on this bike?"

OK, for me, the best way is/was in a backpack (for light, but sorta bulky stuff). Somewhat heavier stuff was lashed down on small rear rack (handing be dammed). I can't comment on truly heavy stuff tho.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
9/28/21 9:39 p.m.

How do you like your bike a few months down the road?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xYxh8XuGtMnYtYmGsj9SSqNh0jb6E6sAjQM57KNoMNx5DRr37Wq5nXRni9waS1A7