1 2
Cotton
Cotton Dork
8/3/11 4:24 p.m.

I'm thinking of picking one up. The local dealer has a 2010 leftover they seem to want to deal on. I have my k1200s for trips and commuting, so the lack of wind protection isn't a big deal. I'm looking at it as more of a fun backroads type bike with occasional commuting when the k1200s is down or I'm in the mood for something different. Just wondering if any of you guys have some seat time on one?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
8/3/11 4:48 p.m.

I've had some seat time on a loaner Speed Triple (basically every time my Sprint ST was in the shop, which was often) a few years back. It's kinda fun, but I'm not really a streetfighter type guy and I didn't think I immediately needed to buy one. It was a decent in-town bike and is probably a nice backroad scratcher.

A friend of mine (who is/was a part-time bike journo) has a Speed Four and absolutely loves it as a hooligan machine. Might be worth a look - they're smaller capacity and don't have the triple, but everything I heard about those was positive.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
8/4/11 8:13 a.m.

Thanks for the feedback. There are no Speed Fours in my area, but I have looked at the Street Triple also, which is 675cc compared to 1050cc for the Speed. The HP numbers aren't all that far apart, but the Speed makes it's tq early and keeps it all the way to redline. I may go back to the dealer today for a 2nd look.

What year was your Sprint ST? I take it you had some reliability issues?

Xceler8x
Xceler8x SuperDork
8/4/11 10:11 a.m.

Those things have a stunning exhaust note.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
8/4/11 10:26 p.m.

All I know is it is damn sexy.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
8/4/11 10:41 p.m.

Sweet zombie jesus yes.

Also I dunnno if they make the Speed Four anymore... not that I'd buy one, I love the triple. Not to mention I haven't read one back thing about the Speed Triple.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
8/4/11 10:55 p.m.
Cotton wrote: What year was your Sprint ST? I take it you had some reliability issues?

Somewhere between '99 and 2001, I believe. Been a while...

Injected Triumphs at some point had plastic quick-disconnect connectors on the injector hoses that would get brittle after prolonged exposure to, funnily enough, gas. I had to had them replaced, which necessitated multiple trips to several dealers because the first one didn't do the job right and I took the bike to the south of France where they had to redo the repair.

It also had various other gas leaks, drank oil like it was going out of fashion after about 22k and generally needed a few unscheduled visits to the local dealer before I got sick of it.

Actually the bike my friend has is a Street Triple, not a Speed Four - brainfart of mine.

The newer they are the better they seem to get, though.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
8/5/11 12:21 a.m.

I've got a 2002 daytona 955. After a few years on the daytona, I wish it was a speed triple if for nothing more than the comfort factor. The daytona's been a good bike - rarely in the shop other than updating the tune. Love the sound and the torque. It doesn't sound like any other bike around. The biggest issue I've had were the plastic fuel connectors. A visit to the local hydraulic shop and I swapped them out for brass (after they broke and blew fuel on the back tire on a rainy day - made an interesting ride). Newer bikes may have fixed that.

rotard
rotard Reader
8/8/11 12:25 a.m.

I'm having a debate between the Street Triple R and Speed Triple. :(

mike
mike Reader
8/8/11 8:39 a.m.

I already decided - Street Triple R. I have access to a regular Street, and it's so sweet, I long for an STR of my own. That, and a Daytona 675R to park next to.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
8/8/11 9:06 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: All I know is it is damn sexy.

Oh yes. That'd do nicely.

Joshua
Joshua Reader
8/8/11 9:58 a.m.

These have always been my favorite bikes! I was just worried about reliability and maintenance costs since it's British...

Cotton
Cotton Dork
8/8/11 10:41 a.m.

I'm trying to work a deal on an 09 Speed Triple with 3700 miles. Hope to have everything finalized by Wednesday.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
8/12/11 9:02 a.m.

It's a done deal...now all that's left is the shipping. I wanted to fly in/ride home like I did the k1200s, but a lack of free time and the fact that shipping it would be cheaper put the brakes on that. Pics when I get it in a week or so.

devina
devina New Reader
3/12/12 12:30 p.m.

Any updates?? Having the annual evil thoughts and curious how you like the bike and how comfortable it is?

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
3/12/12 1:56 p.m.

Its the only bike I've ever lusted after.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
3/15/12 12:54 p.m.

In reply to devina:

I actually rode it into work today. It's a great bike and tons of power all across the RPM range. I bought this bike because I wanted something totally in contrast to my k1200s and it is definitely that. For distance riding on the highway at speed, or curvy roads with lots of sweepers, the k1200s is MUCH better, but for city, tight roads, and general hoonage the Triumph is your bike.....plus it just looks amazing....the best looking bike I've ever owned.

It's pretty comfortable, and I do commute on it from time to time, but the BMW does fit me much better. That all really depends on the rider though. The k bike makes me feel like I'm one with the bike where the Triumph does feel like I'm riding on it....if that makes sense.

But seriously, if you're looking at a Speed Triple get it. You won't regret it. I bought mine used, but the PO threw the Triumph catalog of accessories at it including the 3 into one titanium exhaust, almost a 1400 option by itself, but the sound is just incredible. I'll try and find a picture to post.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
3/15/12 11:29 p.m.

Finally got pics....here is my Speed Triple:

rotard
rotard HalfDork
3/16/12 9:42 a.m.

Uh oh, were you doing wheelies in that parking lot?

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
3/16/12 10:03 a.m.

That bike has some sinister eyebrows.

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
3/16/12 10:39 a.m.

Gorgeoussssss

Cotton
Cotton Dork
3/16/12 11:58 a.m.
rotard wrote: Uh oh, were you doing wheelies in that parking lot?

haha no, those are actually pics the PO sent me. He didn't take many curves though.....judging by the square tires when I got it.

rotard
rotard HalfDork
3/16/12 12:34 p.m.

I'm thinking about selling the RC51 and getting a street triple. I've gotten old and can't tolerate riding on a 230 degree oven for very long.

stroker
stroker HalfDork
3/20/12 3:12 p.m.

I think some guy on a Triumph finished second in the Daytona 200...

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
5/22/19 6:47 p.m.

Well after close to 8 years and 23k miles the Speed Triple is moving on to a new home.  I had not been riding it much the past few years so traded it in for a 2019 Can Am Maverick X3.  Can Am had a killer deal this month,  so I was able to get a new one at a price close to what I was looking at for a nice used one.  I will miss the Triumph....it was a fun bike and extremely reliable.  I do still have my k1300s  and zrx1100 to scratch the street riding itch.

Here is the Triumph sitting on the showroom floor:

And here is the x3:

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2M83xVjnJDjdASVceysPdRpHNGftAjwceZrGKpu1pEA9qRXfP7dobR556yR2uZai