keeponjeepinon
keeponjeepinon New Reader
3/3/19 11:15 a.m.

I took my DRZ to 1 OMRL race 2 years ago just to get some track time, 2 weeks later I was buying a 2001 XR100R and I was hooked.

This is me at G&J Raceway 2 years ago because I missed all of last season with a broken schaphoid.

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
3/6/19 2:59 p.m.

I really want to give this a shot.  Unfortunately, there aren't really any tracks within a couple hours of home, and I don't have enough free time to dive into a build that will only get used once or twice a year.  If somebody miraculously opens a track nearby and is willing to host these events, I'm going to be all over it.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
3/6/19 3:54 p.m.

Hoping to round up a little Ninja or another CB160 or something for the group that runs at a fairly nearby kart track. Annoyingly, I live ten minutes from the full-size track, but an hour fifteen from the kart track...

The opportunity to get that much seat time for that little money is really compelling.

keeponjeepinon
3/8/19 9:53 p.m.
bigeyedfish said:

I really want to give this a shot.  Unfortunately, there aren't really any tracks within a couple hours of home, and I don't have enough free time to dive into a build that will only get used once or twice a year.  If somebody miraculously opens a track nearby and is willing to host these events, I'm going to be all over it.

Most mini events will have guys that rent out their bikes for lower classes. XR100s are extremely cheap, and are damn near indestructible, so they crash well. I would try that if I were you

keeponjeepinon
3/8/19 9:55 p.m.
Ransom said:

Hoping to round up a little Ninja or another CB160 or something for the group that runs at a fairly nearby kart track. Annoyingly, I live ten minutes from the full-size track, but an hour fifteen from the kart track...

The opportunity to get that much seat time for that little money is really compelling.

I'm hours from everything here. The last time I was at Pitt Race, N2 was doing a track day on the full course while we were racing on the kart track. I really wanted to be out there

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
3/9/19 10:03 p.m.

In reply to keeponjeepinon :

Yeah, apologies, I need to get my head on straight. The fact that PIR is really close to the new house (moving Monday!) hardly makes an hour+ drive to the kart track a hardship.

AdventurePiggy
AdventurePiggy New Reader
3/12/19 12:47 p.m.

The stock 100 class is awesome and super competitive.  And you get the bonus of being humbled by 12 year olds...  I am about 2 hours from 3 different kart tracks with mini racing series.  

Jpbrienp
Jpbrienp New Reader
3/12/19 2:13 p.m.

This..... I rode mini moto for a bit a couple years ago. Grown men on Honda 50s fitted with Lifan engines bored and stoked to 201 with a Kawasaki head.  We rode on the kart track at VIR a good bit and a couple events at Myrtle Beach speedway. It was super fun and a relatively cheap way to race. 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
3/14/19 6:47 a.m.

Looking for Honda 100 races near me, Grattan maybe.

problemaddict
problemaddict HalfDork
3/20/19 9:46 p.m.

I used to race scooters with the mini-moto riders at Sandyhook in Maryland.  That's me in the back.

I just found an old thread I put up about my first time out on the track.  Turns out it was 9 freakin years ago.  Man, time flies.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/sprockets/went-scooter-racing/26971/page1/

I did some horse trading not long after that thread and eneded up with a Yamaha TTR125 that needed a top-end rebuild.  I meant to take that to the track and get more serious about mini-racing.  Well, that motor is still sitting on my bench today!  Its been on the bench, off the bench for years, but has never found its way back into the motorcycle.  I should really get on that and go racing this year...

AdventurePiggy
AdventurePiggy New Reader
3/21/19 10:54 a.m.

In reply to problemaddict :

That banked corner at Sandy Hook is really something, isn't it?

problemaddict
problemaddict HalfDork
3/21/19 10:08 p.m.

In reply to AdventurePiggy :

For sure!  Leaning over on a banked turn takes some getting used to....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gtLfLElQFgupRGTGo4zLGITeaMluq0ygSBDDWFrekod02vpdIiRpUvbDGtAUG4ia