1 2
FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/25/21 2:15 p.m.

I tried one of the 50cc 2 cycle kits and, after a fair amount of work and a bit of fabrication, decided that there were just too many hurdles to clear. This was on a 2010 or so made in USA Worksman single speed 'industrial' bike (probably not the greatest conversion choice).

I then went with an 36v 450 watt 12 amp hour batt rear hub motor kit on a relatively inexpensive 21 speed 'mountain' bike. This conversion was very easy and it does ~ 18 mph without pedaling and ~23 mph or so with easy (sitting on the seat) pedaling (I weigh ~ 190 lbs). I don't ride much faster than that due the sorta 'off road' tires. Acceleration is surprisingly quick tho. Range on the battery is about 20-30 miles depending on the hills and how much I pedal (takes ~ 2-3 hours or so to recharge). I did up grade the OEM brake pads.

Note: many E-kits are available in various rim/wheel sizes. I'll also mention that some E-Bike batteries can be quickly removed from their locking slide on-off mounts.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
3/25/21 2:39 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Laws are changing too. The courts in B.C. have finally ruled that the E-scooters with their ornamental pedals are actually motor vehicles and will need  licensing and insurance if operated on public roads.

I hope that doesn't happen here too. A lot of people complain about them but I've never considered them a nuisance, and they're everywhere in town.

In Quebec you can ride a 50CC scooter at age 14, and they even have their own distributor for 50cc performance parts, Importations Thibault

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
3/25/21 3:37 p.m.

In reply to Mr. Peabody :

Here, they're used by degenerates who have lost their license to DUI and need a way to get around. 

I'm tired of watching them toss themselves into traffic, assuming everyone will watch out for them. 

The E-scooter riders have done it to themselves, we can only go as fast as our slowest person after all.

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/25/21 5:00 p.m.

I agree with you 100% PB. But not just with E-bike/scooter riders, but with bicyclists as well. Imo, E-bike/scooter and bicyclists who ride on roads with speed limits above 25 mph should be DOT approved, licensed, and insured like everyone else on the roads. Period.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RJunjcWLfwORP1XxBTrJWCrsh0V9ztilnF8wimOKmsGuRieDMliZOYxsQ4OrWUS3