GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
11/1/22 12:25 p.m.

So I've had this dumb idea brewing for quite some time- basically, when I moved into my current home and had a housewarming party I had a half-keg that I ended up keeping, because I thought "Huh, that would be a cool fuel tank for a bike of some kind!" and that idea never left my head. This junker idea kept gathering steam thanks to a store that does Amazon/Alibaba resales, so I've been steadily gathering small engine parts like coils, mufflers, and even recently a centrifugal go-kart clutch for literally pennies that I have no information about.

Is there a book or guide I could follow on how to build some kind of rat bike from the ground-up? It would be a total junkyard job and I'll likely go with what small engine I can get for free (or an engine that's so damn weird I make it work lol) and I'd shoot for a "top speed" of like, 35mph. But are there books on that?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/1/22 12:58 p.m.

Paint all the chrome black. Paint tins in different shades of black primer. Drip wax on the pipes before you paint it black so when it melts, it looks gnarly. You can paint the tins with bedliner, too.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
11/1/22 1:34 p.m.

You want to look up seymore cycle works he makes relic boardtrackers out of bikes and engines from harbor freight. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
11/1/22 6:17 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Thanks! That's some neat stuff there, and though I could (for cheaper) do an electric I love the exposed cylinder fins and appearance.

This dirtbag challenge is what I'm aiming for in style, however the website is long gone. This is another resource on building your own frames and what it requires. Look beautiful too.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/1/22 7:49 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

I totally answered a question you didn't ask. I'm sorry. I swear, I'm literate.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C95o5QZrgOqX6Yp6GJPYX7Udh5DZt5TWZBJ8hUoyCh81H1iEWbtYSlFczV1qO2Fi