Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy MegaDork
6/14/21 11:28 a.m.

I'm recently getting into biking again.

I know how to keep my chain lubed, my cables working and my brakes functional, but that's about it. I'm sure there are a TON you YouTube videos on any subject I want to view, but I want to pull back a bit and ask:

What kind of maintenance *should* I be doing and at what intervals? I'm prompted to ask by a bike I picked up for free that has broken spokes- it looks like somebody tried to adjust them but broke one and tore up several of the nipples, which is what sidelined the bike.

golfduke
golfduke Dork
6/14/21 11:35 a.m.

spokes are a slippery slope in that most spokes are a specific length based on hub flange and wheel diameter, so you'd need some specific values to size replacements properly.  But aside from that, wheeltruing and spoke replacement is pretty intuitive and not too hard.  You do need a truing stand though to do it properly and well, which can be expensive.  

In terms of general maintenance, learning to tune derailleur (s) as needed, and learning to bleed/tune brakes (usually once a year or if a problem arises) is about as mechanical as it gets.  Youtube is awesome for those two specifically.  Shock servicing really is the last thing if you're mountain biking, butI usually send that out to the pros, just because it's cheap for them to do, and they do it much better than I ever could.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/14/21 11:41 a.m.

It's easy enough to get a replacement spoke, just pull an equivalent one and stop by your local bike shop. They'll have a few in the back. Pay attention as the spokes on a rear wheel are different lengths depending on which side of the hub they're on. Keep the old broken spoke and sharpen the end, everyone needs a sharpened spoke as a poking tool.

Truing stands aren't expensive. You can pick up a workable one for $40, or you can even use the bike with some clever application of redneck engineering. It helps to have a dishing tool, and that's easy to make out of a piece of steel strap and a bolt. Do make sure you have a spoke wrench that fits your nipples properly. Or use a screwdriver on the end when you have the tire off.

I love building/truing wheels. It's like meditation.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
6/14/21 12:07 p.m.

I would think that der tuning & setup would be next on the list of bike maintenance skills to work on and I would only do it as needed.  On my cheap old low-end GT mountain bike I seem to need that sort of work done every few hundred miles.  Another skill that I hope to pick up via YouTube when I get back into a home with my tools (and space for more tools since there's always more tools to buy).

adam525i
adam525i Dork
6/14/21 12:32 p.m.

Don't worry about a truing stand for now, you can do it on the bike and still get good results, you just won't be as comfortable doing it. A bike workstand on the other had is worth getting right away and will make all of your servicing easier and more enjoyable. Post up the bike you are working on and any concerns on it and you'll get lots of good advice.

For the spoke replacement like they said above any shop should have spokes for you that they can cut and thread to size. Be warned though, if one spoke broke the others may not be far behind and this could turn into an ongoing issue of hearing pings as they let go while you ride. Same with when you are truing, you might break more spokes in that process especially if the nipples are seized on, maybe start hitting them all with a good penetrant now.

Here's a simple video on truing a wheel as well as showing how to do it on the bike. When you are lacing in a new spoke make sure it is done in the same way as the others crossing over or under the other spokes.

Seth's Bike Hacks (now Berm Peak) simple wheel truing

JaxRhapsody
JaxRhapsody New Reader
7/4/21 11:08 p.m.

Also hub/axle service. If you've got brake grease... it works for lubing bike parts. Park Tools Big Blue Book of Bike Repair and Sheldon Browns site is good information to have.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
7/4/21 11:43 p.m.

https://sheldonbrown.com/

If it's not here, I'd be surprised.

SanchinMiata
SanchinMiata Reader
8/5/21 7:44 p.m.

I agree with Keith that wheel building is a zen-like endeavor. There are some tools that make it easier, but a good spoke wrench and a zip tie is all you need to do minor/routine wheel truing on your bike. There are a number of good online spoke length calculators. A truing stand is helpful and good used ones can be found. A dish gauge helps. Again, good spoke wrenches, spoke nipple driver, and a tensiometer are nice things to have. Look for a copy of "The Bicycle Wheel" by Jobst Brandt - while not reflective of the latest and greatest components, it's nonetheless a proper treatise on bicycle wheels and how to build them well.

I built several wheel sets for customers when I was working at the shop and they're all still riding them without issue. That feels really good.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iopqR7pM8VwF3chDj76MfDPF2uMqDVYQrOBGMdVHGiJat7yROVNST0Hg5qPygzEp