manladypig
manladypig Reader
3/10/21 5:51 p.m.

I'm about ready to buy this Beautiful CB350 but seller says it's been unregistered for 2 years, what kind of DMV fees should I be expecting?

spandak
spandak HalfDork
3/10/21 6:42 p.m.

What state? 

Most have calculators online.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/10/21 6:54 p.m.

In reply to spandak :

OP appears to be in CA.

Did the current owner put it on no-op?

spandak
spandak HalfDork
3/10/21 7:14 p.m.

Ah, then there definitely is a calculator. Knowing if its non-op would change things.

In Cali, I think youll be looking at a few hundred plus registration fees. Our bikes are $120 ish a year. Two years plus fees, etc.

FMB42
FMB42 New Reader
3/11/21 8:07 a.m.

What year is that CB MLP? CA DMV fees shouldn't be too horribly bad. Just be sure to apply for a DMV appointment (unless you feel like wasting 4-5 hours waiting in line).

Some questions and comments are: Does it currently run and if not when did it last run? If it doesn't run you may want to pour a teaspoon or so of motor oil into each cylinder before you try to turn it over.

Take a very close look at the tires. Also check the date code, if applicable. Tires that are 5 years or older should be replaced no matter how good they look.

Make sure that the tire pressures are to specifications before you ride it the first time (and check T pressures at least once a month thereafter.

Be sure check the tank for internal rust. Honda, Yamaha, etc, offer some very effective tank rust removal kits.

Other things to check and or look at are the brakes, cracked fuel lines, sticky throttle, bad carb intake boots, and dry/mis adjusted drive chain, and stiff or loose steering neck bearings.

You probably know all about the above, but just wanted to mention it anyway.

Good luck and ride safe.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
3/18/21 12:58 p.m.

Really?  In California you have to pay back registration fees?

Here in Texas you could not register your vehicle for 8 years, walk into the county tax office and walk out with a sticker good for the next year w/out any extra fees.

Hell, get pulled over with the expired sticker and it's a $20 fix it fee added on to the cost of the registration, to get out of a real penalty. 

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/18/21 1:09 p.m.

In reply to m4ff3w :

Yep, CA charges back registration if the owner forgot to declare a vehicle non-op. 

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
3/18/21 3:44 p.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to m4ff3w :

Yep, CA charges back registration if the owner forgot to declare a vehicle non-op. 

That's insane.  I guess there is a price to pay for nice weather and varied terain.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/18/21 4:27 p.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to m4ff3w :

I think there is a short prison sentence involved as well. So happy I don't live there anymore. wink

spandak
spandak HalfDork
3/18/21 4:31 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

Its true.

But theres literally dozens of amazing windy roads within 2 hours of me. Pros and cons.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
3/20/21 6:34 a.m.

One would think there should be a market for selling CA back-taxed vehicles out of state and avoiding all that Kalifornia nonsense.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
10/12/21 9:30 a.m.

They do it in Alabama too

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
10/12/21 1:11 p.m.
ddavidv said:

One would think there should be a market for selling CA back-taxed vehicles out of state and avoiding all that Kalifornia nonsense.

There is but then California gets their thirty pieces of silver when you ask nicely to transfer the title out of state. They are not in the mood for anyones nonsense. It is 20$ a year to put something on non-op and they make it super easy to do so on the internet. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
10/12/21 6:25 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

That doesn't help if you've unknowingly purchased a car from someone unwilling to part with that $20 a year

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
10/13/21 2:49 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

That doesn't help if you've unknowingly purchased a car from someone unwilling to part with that $20 a year

Why in the world would you buy a car without current registration in the glovebox. Non op or live. Its required in California when you register and the plates on the cars all have year stickers if you have paid. Its a known entity. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
10/13/21 3:03 p.m.

Wait, you have to pay to own a non-operational vehicle?  

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
10/13/21 3:04 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:
Justjim75 said:

Why in the world would you buy a car without current registration in the glovebox. Non op or live. Its required in California when you register and the plates on the cars all have year stickers if you have paid. Its a known entity. 

Not known to this guy from the other coast...   *note to self, dont buy project cars from CA*

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/14/21 8:44 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:
ddavidv said:

There is but then California gets their thirty pieces of silver when you ask nicely to transfer the title out of state. They are not in the mood for anyones nonsense. It is 20$ a year to put something on non-op and they make it super easy to do so on the internet. 

Here in Ohio, in order to transfer a title in from out of state you just need the properly executed title. Does California somehow charge something to the buyer or seller in order to transfer a California title to Ohio? If they have a paper title, free and clear of liens, I don't know the mechanism for them to do so. (I'm not saying they can't, I'm just wondering how.)

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/14/21 9:15 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I have walked into a Ohio bmv with a title that was a California car not registered for a few years and walked right out with a Ohio title. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
10/18/21 10:31 p.m.

Non-op is a one-time fee 

I just transferred the title of a little crf50 that hasn't been registered in a handful of years.  
had to pay the registration for each year plus a penalty for each year.   The penalties weren't as bad as I thought but the lady said it was because it is off-highway. 

Ca taxes and fees are no joke!

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UberDork
10/31/21 8:47 p.m.
Apexcarver said:
wearymicrobe said:
Justjim75 said:

Not known to this guy from the other coast...   *note to self, dont buy project cars from CA*

Note: Only applies if you plan on registering the car in California. Registering it in your home state after purchasing from California is subject to your home state regs. That's how I got my Opel GT. Dad had it for about 10 years and never registered it and didn't know about the non-op registration. There is (or was) a fine of $100 a year of not registered. This was back in the early 90's when it was just a used car. Also doesn't have smog pump/emissions so that would have had to be added at another couple thousand dollars. More than the car was worth at the time. He gave the car to me, sent me the paperwork and I got Tennessee plates for it, no problem then went to Cali and drug it back to Tennessee where I was stationed at the time.

Alabama didn't give me any issues as long as I provided a signed statement that it was non-op during the time not registered. No fine or penalty. If Alabama does it now it's news to me, must have been enacted fairly recently.  Will have to look into that as I have a non-op 63 Midget and a non-op 81 XS650 Special II.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i0RKzM1NQXKajFm1Ex1VWEDkEFK2LjuFFaIrPCyJeQ1zxG03AFgnXX7fO1ycHhNN