Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
2/1/19 12:45 p.m.

I saw a few different variants at the dealership when I bought my G310R. The Racer, Urban GS, and Scrambler variants do absolutely nothing for me. They didn't have a "normal" or pure on the showroom floor. After seeing them in pics and on YouTube, they are now ony radar.

Anyone with BMW air and oil cooled Boxer experience that can provide some guidance?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/1/19 5:28 p.m.

I think you should re-evaluate your dislikes.laugh

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
2/1/19 6:59 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

laugh

I think it's the vintage racer fairing. It's not bad looking, but not a fan.

Slippery
Slippery SuperDork
2/1/19 8:43 p.m.

I have the racer. Bought new deeply discounted from Max BMW. 

Its lots of fun and have had zero problems in the ~2k miles I put on it. Nice torquey engine, not super fast but still fun.

Only complaints are that its quite heavy amd it runs quite hot at times. My other bike is an old R1 and when I ride that it feels like a toy, quite lighter. 

The engine temp sometimes would get up to ~270 F in Florida in stop and go traffic and at first would make quite uneasy, but I kind of got over it and accept it.  

In front of Air Force One

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
2/1/19 10:12 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Thanks! Engine temp in traffic was one of my concerns being in SC.

Slippery
Slippery SuperDork
2/2/19 9:31 a.m.

In reply to Strike_Zero :

I just want to clarify that the heat does not bother me at all, I was just worried about the engine itself. 

Its not like on a water cooled motorcycle when the fan kicks in at a light and you roast. 

Cooter
Cooter Dork
2/2/19 4:35 p.m.

{droolingintensifies}

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
2/3/19 5:06 p.m.

That old R1.  Damn.  You can’t hardly find those first generations anymore. Is that one carb’d?

Slippery
Slippery SuperDork
2/3/19 7:09 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

Yep, carbed. Torque monster :)

Its a 2000 I bought new in 2001 as a leftover. Was looking at some papers the other day, picked it up for $8300 out the door back then. Was my only mode of transportation until 2005. 

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
2/5/19 8:23 a.m.

Thanks Slippery.

I'm used to being cooked on my VFR800. City riding + buses and trucks + riding gear + fans cycling = crispy roast, but the bike would stay out of the red zone.

I'll take a trip to the dealer to take out for a ride.

Patientzero
Patientzero New Reader
2/5/19 8:38 a.m.

RnineT Pure looks amazing to me.  I really wanted a Monster 1200 but that beemer changed me.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
2/5/19 9:10 a.m.

imgon
imgon Reader
2/8/19 7:29 p.m.

The R9T is sharp looking and very customizable for a Beemer. That said the oil/air cooled boxers do not like to sit on traffic on hot days. I have an '00 R1100RT,  when over 85 degrees if I hit traffic I'll stop for a snack or find an alternate route. As long as there is some air flowing over the engine and oil cooler they stay cool enough. My biggest beef with all BMW'S is they are maintenance pigs. Service interval of 6000 miles,  I lucked out and got a lifetime service plan on mine, thought I was getting screwed when I bought it, its paid for itself 20 times over. Other than the maintenance issue my bike has been pretty reliable for 114,000 miles, only regular wear and maintenance items and just two break downs, a failed hall effect sensor and a couple of years ago a failed evap canister that was leaking fuel right after I filled up. Go for a test ride and see what you think.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
2/12/19 2:39 p.m.

I have to my lil Beemer in for side stand recall. I'll take a test ride then.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1X1mpn5SDVKn2he3NlU4hfjXVjG9bUjiaYnDVOmO9Z6t01zgVwTOHo8heFx51kym