1 2
eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
5/16/16 8:24 p.m.

Since before I got my motorcycle license, one of the scooters I've really wanted was a Honda Big Ruckus. They are so ugly they're cool. It was only imported to the US for two years(2005-2006), and not too many made it into the country. They've held their value well, too, and it appears nice, low-mileage examples are getting exported to Europe, and back to Japan. I'd pretty much given up on them for two reasons - first, they're still too expensive for a 250cc scooter, a nice Helix or Reflex is usually considerably cheaper. Second, their collectability would make me a little nervous while riding one, for fear of screwing up and damaging a nice one.

A friend of mine had one, but got a Forza, so hasn't been riding the Ruckus for a while, and he offered it to me at a price I couldn't resist. It also has over 40K miles on it, so its probably never in danger of being too valuable. I got the title signed over tonight, just need to get to the title office to transfer it, and the BMV for a tag, and I can go back and pick it up

Here it is:

It's got a few minor issues, the cam cover gasket is leaking a little bit, the rear shock (aftermarket Ohlins) needs to be rebuilt(still have the original to use while that's being taken care of), and the starter button is a little sticky (a replacement was included in the spare parts). Other than that, despite the mileage, it appears to be in excellent condition, its never been wrecked, and only has a few minor scuffs and scratches. Can't wait to bring it home, here's hoping I like it as much as I think I will.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
5/16/16 8:28 p.m.

Excellent! I like them, too.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
5/16/16 10:21 p.m.

very jealous. Tried finding a Big Rukus clone and even thats tricky to do.

I am happy you got the opportunity to get one!

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
5/16/16 11:53 p.m.

Good score! I didn't know that they were 250cc, I assumed they were 150cc.

They were stupid expensive when they were new, which easily explains why so few were sold.

I've actually come close to pulling the trigger on a Big Ruckus knock off. It's the roulette wheel of uncertainty that is registering Chinese bikes in PA that has held me back.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
5/17/16 8:47 a.m.

I've been looking at a Helix since the Big Ruckus is too damned popular - all the ones I've seen locally are >$5000! What a great bike though - glad this one's staying stateside. Have a blast!

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
5/17/16 8:49 a.m.

Looks like the clones are also really expensive. Still available new, but $2500 is a ton of money to spend on a GY6 scooter.

http://www.ssrmotorsports.com/store/scooter/rowdy150.php

I think I'd buy a Helix and "Mad Max" it before getting one of the clones

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
5/17/16 10:00 a.m.

40K miles like 40,000, like 8 times across the country diagonally, on a Big Rukus. Get that man a iron butt patch.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
5/17/16 10:34 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: 40K miles like 40,000, like 8 times across the country diagonally, on a Big Rukus. Get that man a iron butt patch.

That's what stood out to me as well. That is a lot of miles logged on a scooter! Original owner worked a delivery job I'm guessing?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
5/17/16 11:51 a.m.

The original owner commuted with it, and I suspect took a few longer trips on it. Thankfully the Honda liquid cooled scooter engines are generally very long lived, as long as they are maintained properly, which it appears this one has been. It is mechanically similar to the Reflex, so if it ever does need major work, getting parts should not be a problem.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
5/17/16 3:08 p.m.

Your seller 1) put 40k miles on a 250 scooter, and 2) sprung for an Ohlins shock for said scooter. Sounds like the right person to buy a used scooter from. I agree that the mileage is NOTHING to worry about - it's a Honda.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/17/16 3:31 p.m.

I've known about the Big Ruckus since before I bought my Ruckus in 2006, but I don't think I've ever actually seen one in person.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
5/17/16 3:42 p.m.

I saw one of these on I84 today by the Newfoundland exit in PA with huge duffel bags on the back. Is it some sort of coincidence that I never new these existed until yesterday, and today I see one... or was that you riding it home?

That would not be my 1st choice for a RTW ride. 40k miles on a scoot with wee little wheels is hardcore.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/17/16 6:38 p.m.

I've seen scooter gangs rollin hard on modified Rucki. Join a gang and bring a switchblade.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
5/18/16 7:54 a.m.

Another random animal I never knew existed...

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
5/18/16 8:57 a.m.

Honda supposedly never released US sales numbers for them, but from what I've read, the best guess is somewhere less than 2500 were sold in the US over the two years.

I've been looking at the service manual, and fixing the oil leak is going to be a bit more complex than I thought. First step is removing the engine So it'll probably be a 4+ hour job instead of 10-15 minutes. Since it'll be more accessible, I may see what preventative maintenance I can do at the same time, and put together a decent sized parts order.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
5/18/16 9:01 a.m.

Oh yeah, I'd probably be fine with taking this on a long distance ride, if I could minimize time on the interstates, but then, I've done a few 300 mile days on a 125cc scooter :)

e23inGB
e23inGB New Reader
5/18/16 12:32 p.m.

Found one cruising CL this morning. If anyone in Wisconsin is looking for one..

Big Rukus

minimac
minimac SuperDork
5/19/16 8:02 a.m.

Eastsidemav- here's something to read on the BR. Scroll down to read the post by Reaper. Apparently, he's the acknowledged guru.

http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/8445-2006-honda-big-ruckus-review.html

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
5/19/16 1:59 p.m.

In reply to minimac:

Thanks for the link! If the Ohlins costs too much to rebuild, I may look into the Bitubo. Fortunately, the PO already rejetted it, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Going to see about picking it up this weekend, but having to deal with a family emergency, so I might get delayed.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
5/22/16 9:55 a.m.

I as able to get out last night and pick it up. Took me about an hour to get home, since I avoided interstates. A few observations:

It accelerated a lot like my old Elite 250, despite the extra 70+ lbs of weight. Also, I got up to about 60 MPH(indicated), and it still had a bit to go, but was definitely starting to run out of steam. The engine sounds and feels almost exactly like the one in the Elite, despite being a newer design. Not bad - it should have enough power for short interstate trips, but I'll try to stick to smaller highways.

Early in the ride, it was getting very squirrely on rough pavement, worse than about any scooter I've ever ridden. I realized I had a bit of a death grip on the handlebars, and when I loosened up, it improved considerably. I'll still take a look at the front suspension and see if anything needs work.

The brakes are adequate. I think the rear brake could afford to be looked at. Nothing unsafe, though.

The seat is very comfortable, and the ride is not bad. This should be a good all day bike. The only issues it might have comfortwise are the lip at the back of the drivers part of the seat, which could be fixed with some sort of padding, and the vibration for the engine, which isn't terrible, but it is noticeable.

The oil leak appears to be very slow, so I may just keep my eye on it, then do the work over the winter, if it doesn't get worse. It may be burning a bit of oil too, so I'll watch that, too.

Most of the drive was through heavily populated areas, and I thought the headlights were the best I'd ever seen on a scooter. Then, I got out onto a darkened road near home, and hit the high beams. Holy crap! They pretty much felt like they lit up the whole world. I've had cars with much weaker headlights. This thing will be great for nighttime riding.

All in all, I'm happy with it after the first decent length ride. I plan on keeping this one for a while.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/22/16 10:59 a.m.

so it is a 250 Elite without the body work? Huh cool.

where on earth did the extra 70 lbs come from???

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
5/22/16 11:52 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: so it is a 250 Elite without the body work? Huh cool. where on earth did the extra 70 lbs come from???

It's actually more closely related to the Reflex, which is a few generations newer than my old Elite. Bigger wheels and a longer wheelbase make it a lot more stable at speed. The Elite 250 was pretty scary by 55, even though it should be capable of over 70 MPH. For comparison, here's a picture of the Elite:

The engine from it went into a smaller frame for a drag scooter project

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/22/16 7:06 p.m.

In reply to eastsidemav:

When I worked at a Honda dealership I had an Elite 250 at an indicated 78, FWIW. They will scoot, pun intended. Our shop was known for "touching" things and the scooters were no exceptions. I was not a fan of the Cruiser Scooter although there was plenty of people who were.

Nice score.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
5/22/16 8:53 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: In reply to eastsidemav: When I worked at a Honda dealership I had an Elite 250 at an indicated 78, FWIW.

On the stock suspension, I think 78 MPH would be a code brown moment for me.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/22/16 8:55 p.m.
eastsidemav wrote:
Flight Service wrote: In reply to eastsidemav: When I worked at a Honda dealership I had an Elite 250 at an indicated 78, FWIW.
On the stock suspension, I think 78 MPH would be a code brown moment for me.

It was surprisingly stable. Got there smoothly like it was meant to do that.

The 150 wasn't slow either.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7apKCtheCpUWMBx0jRiWfctmZXn47QLEPHpmqt3ydsCAQsM8nnbvFcSVl9mwd34n