ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
2/10/21 7:23 p.m.

So I'm just getting back into biking and I have a Giant gravel bike that I have been riding on the road. My only issue is it doesn't have drop bars and for longer rides the straight bars start to get uncomfortable. So is it a dumb idea to buy a set of clip on aero bars? Or should I just start looking for an affordable entry level road bike? 

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/10/21 8:14 p.m.

Have you tried riding that position without the aero bars just to see if being that low/forward is comfortable? You can rest your forearms on the bars just to try but be careful that you are still in control of the bike.

The other option is to look at some bar ends for your flat bars, they will mainly help the wrists though as it won't change your posture on the bike a lot.

I'm definitely a fan of drop bars though, all of my bikes have them outside of my mountain bike and fat bike.

Post up your ride though and maybe that will help with suggestions

ChrisTropea
2/10/21 9:25 p.m.

On my ride tonight I tried the riding position and it was comfortable on the bike and I picked up about 2 mph without any extra effort. I had bar ends on the bike and I wasn't a fan of them, it made it slightly better to change positions but not enough to keep them. 

Here is a photo of the bike: 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/10/21 10:25 p.m.

I like clip on aero bars, I've had a set since 1989 or so. Set up right, they're quite comfy. I don't see why you wouldn't want them on a gravel bike. 

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/11/21 7:53 a.m.

I'd grab a cheap set from amazon and give them a go too, like you noted the speed increase is significant just getting the arms tucked in and they can be comfortable. You'll just want to confirm that your handlebars are 31.8 mm (the bike looks new enough that they are) and that there is room to mount them by the stem before the bars taper down.

As you ride more you may want to look at your saddle height as well (presuming the picture is your bike and not just a photo from the net). There are lots of videos explaining how to do that and the benefits of it. If it turns out that is the right height for you then down the road when you get another bike you should review the sizing of it for a better fit.

Happy riding!

ChrisTropea
2/11/21 8:18 a.m.

In reply to adam525i (Forum Supporter) :Thanks for the advice, i think ill start looking into getting a set and check the handle bar size to make sure they will work. And in that photo the saddle is not adjusted right for me but it is now, its a size large frame so its pretty good size for me at 5' 11". 

ChrisTropea
2/23/21 3:32 p.m.

Update: I got a set of clip on aero bars and it was definitely worth the money. Riding into the wind is so much easier now and just riding in general I am able to average a higher speed than with only the flat bars. Now I just need to convince myself not to spend money to buy a dedicated road bike just yet. Also a Quad Lock was a great addition to the bike. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1jP2V889EcqYsOOlgvgh02zXufpdRUr8SiCSnNXxkyhdkPsZ0q8QFEJmhDy4srnB