FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
12/20/18 2:00 p.m.

I picked up a brand new 2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0 frame for the paltry sum of $35 shipped off of Ebay.  My plan is to make it into a 1x9/10 gravel/urban bike.  It's a 26er and I need a 100mm corrected disc fork (as well as everything else)--something in the neighborhood of 450 a/c and an offset around 40.  

On EBay there  are lots of "ToSeek" brand forks offered for around $75-90.  I can get a CrMo Soma for around $120.  I kind of like the idea of going CF for both price and weight.  I have peeked around the bike forums as well and it seems that the people poo-pooing the EBay stuff are not basing their criticism on first-hand experience.    I have not seen any posts from someone who bought these, had a failure and crashed-and-burned.   I won't be going offroad or jumping.  The only real peril would be potholes etc.  

I wanted to reach out here for anyone that might have first-hand experience of a using these grassroots-priced bits.  I'd do a fork and seatpost, stem and handlebars--all matched as close as possible.  

Thoughts?

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
12/20/18 7:55 p.m.

I don't have first hand experience and I don't remember which channel I saw it on but there was a pretty thorough video recently about cheap Chinese carbon fiber bicycle parts on YouTube in the not too distant past. Maybe it was GCN. Anyways if I were to build a lightweight bike I would certainly be willing to try them. Just with the understanding that things could go wrong.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
12/20/18 10:58 p.m.

I would go see if you can get feedback about the specific vendor. Is it https://weightweenies.starbike.com where I think I recently saw a "which cheap Chinese carbon fiber stuff doesn't kill people" thread?

I think some of it is probably fine. I'm not willing to risk my face, despite its lack of aesthetic value.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
12/21/18 6:57 a.m.

There is a bike shop in Santa Barbara that has been testing them , if I remember the story the owner or his friend was riding and the fork exploded and he crashed badly.....

There is a lot of pretty carbon fiber junk out there ,  

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
12/21/18 7:29 p.m.

In reply to FSP_ZX2 no you.not die. A freind of mine bought on 2 years ago had bad crash,not bikes fault. Another  rider

Frame. was toast so wee cut it up

The carbon was in great shape,no voids, had 2 layers of glass on the bottle and front March mount,as all frame makers do. Overall it was built really well. Fork crown was overbuit and strong. Some Italian bikes are built in Taiwan and some American bikes are built in mainland China. The uscf,and Euro counter part have ok' Chinese carbon wheel sets,as they passed the tech for pro riding

​​​​​​​

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
12/21/18 9:14 p.m.

A local rider died when his carbon fork broke at about 25mph. YMMV.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
12/22/18 2:12 a.m.

I don't think it's a question of "Chinese carbon fiber is okay" or "Chinese carbon fiber is bad". A lot of high-quality (brand name or not) CF is Chinese/Taiwanese/etc... But you want to make sure you're getting sound stuff, because there is clearly crap out there, and the crap is really dangerous.

I don't care about where it's made, I care whether the vendor/manufacturer is trustworthy. And as with the recent GRM article, the vendor is important because the apparent manufacturer may not be who made it (counterfeits)... (WTF... It was a recent article, and I'm failing to Google it up or find it in the Features->Articles on the site...)

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
12/24/18 1:51 p.m.

I have seen real,( trek, specialized  bikes come part, the elastomer  fitting on those specialized. Bikes are not very well thought out,very thin carbon, don't think they do that any longer) even quality  aluminum bikes could come apart, Ti bikes small notch in the frame, will cause it to fail.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
12/24/18 1:57 p.m.

When I went to Taiwan last year I bought some integrated stem handlebar  set up from local bike shop, I asked the owner if they are safe..he did this, stuffed me and g/f in his car, took me to the factory where they were laided up...tour of factory, the bars I bought for  85$, with factory name on them were the same 350-500$ bars you see at high end bike shops here in the states. Big time Mark up on these parts.i even saw the same stem bar that I bought in Taiwan in a shop in the bay area for a he'll of a lot more than I played for them, bike shop said my bars are fake, and dangerous to use.  They were the same integrated bars that they were selling for 410$,  I showed him my trip to Taiwan, the factory your I recived, and lots of photos I took. He had no answer

Saw the testing they did the the carbonbars...i don't worry

On my  bike for  1 year now and still very strong

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
12/24/18 2:53 p.m.

I had a lukewarm experience with Chinese carbon.  Got a set of "3T" bars off the bay for 20some dollars.  Used them on my fatty till I crashed it hard a year ago (not related to the bars).  During the rebuild I put on a used set of Easton XC90 bars.  The Eastons have way way less flex and feel as rigid as a nice set of aluminum bars, but with more compliance.  

So did I die?  No.  Would I have thought the "3T" bars were OK if I was 140 lbs and not banging off curbs and rocks?  Probably.  Will I put them back on my bike?  No.  

As it says, YMMV and all that

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
12/26/18 7:01 a.m.

I had eBay carbon bars on my fat bike for a while, and chickened out.  They were super light and looked great, but I was always gritting my teeth worrying about them.  A little extra weight for aluminum bars was worth it.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
12/27/18 7:55 a.m.

UPDATE:  I 'went safe' and bought a CrMo fork (Soma 453 a/c) for $120.  I'll likely do CF for bars/stem/post at some point but will build with cheap aluminum stuff until I figure out what lengths and angles work best...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/27/18 9:29 a.m.

Here's a hint:  You're still gonna die.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
12/27/18 10:20 a.m.
Dr. Hess said:

Here's a hint:  You're still gonna die.

Good point, Doc.

That said, I'd prefer it to be warm and old in my bed--and not on the side of the road after crashing on my bike and subsequently being run over by a school bus.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
80xzKy9IBXkZHU11AeuYg5E56Brc3609UZvOLpjeyrXHhxGrBd74cDjluZODmyAZ