914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/3/20 7:40 a.m.

My old KZ-650's spokes were so corroded, chalky and ugly that I just sanded them and hit 'em with copper colored paint; which looked good on a black bike.

The Goldwing project's front wheel looks passable but the rear spokes are fugly.  Granted they're shorter spokes than up front and are hidden by the rear hub and stuff so not really "out there".  I'm thinking about painting them a satin silver, close to the front's color.  As the bike is red with a black frame what if any color other than silver would you use?  I've seen gloss black on some bikes but there's a lot of chrome on this thing.

BTW, the air horns may be in this year's Christmas box exchange.

I would think some kind of media blasting would be the best bet.

Just going silver, as you suggest has the benefit of not being super obvious when it chips. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
10/3/20 9:24 a.m.

Argent Silver wheel paint works well for this. Really chip-resistant too.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/3/20 9:32 a.m.

Gloss black would be a nice contrast to the silver aluminium and chrome bits.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
10/3/20 9:41 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Anybody with a British sportscar has likely painted their wire wheels. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/3/20 10:05 a.m.

I think argent silver is the only choice for a bike of that era.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UberDork
10/3/20 7:54 p.m.

With that bike, silver or gold would look good. The gold would go with the pinstripes and other adornments. But like said, the Argent Silver wheel paint would probably be the best option that would last the longest. That's what I would go with.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/13/20 7:20 a.m.

Kissed everything with 400 emery then wiped it down with acetone.  Painted the spokes rustoleum aluminum silver but couldn't resist painting their little heads with copper metallic.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/23/22 11:40 p.m.

In reply to Yukolin12 :

Incomplete sentences are canoe.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/23/22 7:33 a.m.

Did you disasemble the wheel to paint the spokes? 

i have a 89' honda nx125 project, real odd cool bike. I was wanting to do something about the spoke rust without just doing the old "im clearly stolen" blast with spray paint with no prep. 

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
10/21/22 11:43 p.m.
Tessachultz said:

I plan to buy a car for work. I really love this car. This site is so interesting. If you have free time, please try [my edited-out canoe link]. I am sure that's really great.

Is there a problem tonight? This is the third message I have seen on here toninght that is just random sentences that have nothing to do with the subject or a person in the postings. Two in this forum.......

Oapfu
Oapfu New Reader
10/22/22 12:43 a.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

Welcome to the joys of artificial not-yet-intelligence (a.k.a. spambots, a.k.a. open boats propelled by paddling).  The SOP is to post the user name in the "Report Canoes (Spammers) Here or request moderator assistance" thread.  After that, one of the mods will upvote the post once the issue has been properly addressed.

RexSeven said:

A explanation on canoes for newbies:

With older GRM forum formats mods had to comb through threads for spammers, which took way too much time to do because of the number of spammers we got. There was no "report comment" button what like other boards have. The community helped out by flagging potential spammers with a key word, which the mods would then search the boards for. "Canoe" became the keyword to identify them. "Flounder" is a similar keyword we used for flamewars/flamebait/trolling... basically, Internet arguments gone out of control. Threads on religion, politics, and your favorite brand of penetrant/motor oil/etc. are particularly susceptible to becoming flounders.

Of course, canoe and flounder have become in-jokes. So are the filters for naughty words. You can figure those out by filter pwning yourself.

So if you find a spammer or someone who isn't playing nice with the community, please report them here. Mods don't actively go searching for every instance of the word 'canoe' anymore, so while its OK to reply to a spammer with 'canoe,' we may still not see it. Tattle on them here, and we'll make the decision on whether to banhammer them or not.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/23/22 12:41 a.m.

In reply to touchynothing :

Define irony.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/2/23 12:14 a.m.

This really is canoe peanut butter, isn't it ?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gxd2IWdgmTpfbi6P3g4VpRkHMLwPSwMD84LlbvWA9xFbUamkVJx1cmS9HhjjLFXZ