91camarosrs
91camarosrs None
3/30/21 5:03 a.m.

So back when I was about 12 or 13, I made my first purchase towards my freedom and transportation. My best friend and I really like riding our bikes out in the country. And he found a power light from my next-door neighbor and needed  $20. So after gathering up all of my allowance, it was mine! A very used, 1996 dino nsx. This bike is what really started my love for modifying thing and going fast. 

Fast forward a few years, and then I got a license. Saying that a bicycle did not fit inside of a Camaro very well, I picked up skateboarding and the bicycle just kind of laid around for the next several years. 

Which brings us to current time.  after talking with my 12-year-old son, We decided to bring this bike back to its former glory. No, he was writing this before we decided to do this project, but I really wanted him to see how things work and to see some hard work pays off. So here it is. He worked hard to pay for everything on here, even though I helped with exactly half, and doing research on what it was supposed to have can it was fun, but it's still not quite done. It's surprising to me that period Correct wheels are kind of hard to fine without spending a lot. We still need to decide on a seat, and I'm waiting for reproduction decals to be Made. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
3/30/21 7:30 p.m.

Was that old crank really the one that came with it? Seems like it has really short arms for a bike shop bike.

91camarosrs
91camarosrs New Reader
3/31/21 12:22 a.m.

In reply to GCrites80s :

Honestly, not sure. I was never super invested in these bikes back then. Learning as i go now. The new ones are 175?mm. Old were too. Unsure if they were original or not. Replacement cranks had 170 and 175 options. 

91camarosrs
91camarosrs New Reader
3/31/21 1:35 a.m.

Maybe I'll add a little more background. They bike was well used when i got it. From the little i can find online, it appears the sprocket and spider? Were already replaced when i picked it up. The front forks were replaced at one time as well. The one catalog picture i can find, suggests the same. Not sure about the brakes, but proponent seems to be period correct. 

we ended up going with sealed crank bearings, 44t aluminum sprocket, new crank, new chain,new headset, and had to get new fork with stem. Aluminum seatpost, Front and rear proponent brakes, with stainless cables. Lots of steel wool action and a trip to urgent care(rust in my boys eye, even had safety glasses!) So this isn't a super detailed restore, more like period inspired. 

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
3/31/21 9:22 p.m.

Looking great sir!  Find some super fine steel wool and a nice thick paste wax and bring back the bling!

91camarosrs
91camarosrs New Reader
3/31/21 10:57 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

We used super fine steel wool and some polish i had laying around. Might be the best we can do. We put a clear coat on the welds where the chrome is gone. 

Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
oPT0XZUwBoIlg3ZLYqbURXvz0HAoWlmlVsbI0ZosroK1v1ZzYlAzHIqF9KruG3Lf