1 2 3
Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/23/14 12:28 p.m.

Is the Yamaha SR400.

I think it is priced about a Grand too high but other than that it hits all the buttons. Classic cool. Mod-friendly. Simple. Low Maintenance. I love the thought of the kickstarter with fuel injection on a street ride.

Mod for the bike show release.

2.0dohc
2.0dohc Reader
3/23/14 2:51 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: I think it is priced about a Grand too high but other than that it hits all the buttons.

But its only $90 a month, for 72 months. I don't think I have every kept a vehicle that long.
It does look nice, just need some to buy it and sell it to me gently used.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
3/23/14 2:57 p.m.

OK, I keep having thoughts of a bike and this just looks good.

I love the bike show release. For a cheap easy go anywhere that looks cool, I like it. For going up and down gravel and dirt it should work well.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
3/23/14 2:59 p.m.

I like the look of the dirt track style bike.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
3/23/14 3:05 p.m.

Oh my. Me likey.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/23/14 3:16 p.m.

I cannot bandwagon along on this love fest.

You used to be able to buy decent Honda CB450s all day long for $500 and I'm not seeing the value-add here of a $5000+ bike with about the same basic package as was readily available in 1978.

Make it $3200 and I'd say it's a good value as long as you can't still buy a clean CB450 for pennies on the dollar.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth New Reader
3/23/14 3:33 p.m.

Exactly, I love the looks of the bike but everything has gone sky hi in price. 5000 for a starter bike , 37000 for a cheap truck ? They haven't changed that much in 40 years.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
3/23/14 5:14 p.m.

Have you priced CB450s lately? If you can find one.

When Craigslist sellers are asking $1500 for a 05 Ninja 250, which is essentially the same bike since 1988, and getting it, $5000 for a new, injected, 400 thumper isn't out of line.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/23/14 6:00 p.m.

I don't understand the appeal of singles for the street. They always feel like they're misfiring on three cylinders.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/23/14 6:01 p.m.

And...the last five bikes that I've bought have been singles.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/23/14 6:03 p.m.

The MSRP is $5995 so if it was $5k I would be happy. It is new, with warranty, with the latest tech and other peoples abuses not involved.

If I wanted a used bike the CB450/550 or a Xl600R with some mods or a DR400L with some mods, or a triumph bonneville, or a (you get the idea).

The point is it is a new bike. Most new bikes are plastic, look like they came from the story board of Akira, or think the bike in Easy Rider was cool.

But it isn't for everyone, that's cool.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/23/14 6:04 p.m.
Woody wrote: And...the last five bikes that I've bought have been singles.

Dirt?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/23/14 6:09 p.m.
Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
3/23/14 6:24 p.m.

I'd swear Kawasaki was selling a bike like this 10 years ago...

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
3/23/14 6:30 p.m.

More money but way more motorcycle and better looking:

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/23/14 6:46 p.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro:

Less power and more weight too! I was interested in a local Guzzi that was for sale until I looked up the specs.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/23/14 7:00 p.m.
Ian F wrote: I'd swear Kawasaki was selling a bike like this 10 years ago...

This is a copy of the original SR400. Kawasaki and Honda both made a very similar bike that was like an old Triumph.

The Kaw was the W650

The Honda was the GB500 Tourist Trophy.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
3/23/14 7:13 p.m.

You're bad at math.

50hp is MORE than 26hp.

Guzzi: 50hp and 42.7 ft lbs. 395 lbs

Yamaha: 26hp and 21 ft lbs. 384 lbs

Guzzi wins.

The specs on the SR400 were hard to find, most listed hp as "unavailable"

Flight Service wrote: In reply to Trans_Maro: Less power and more weight too! I was interested in a local Guzzi that was for sale until I looked up the specs.
HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
3/23/14 9:13 p.m.

I like the scrambler version, to bad that its nor available that way

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
3/23/14 9:21 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: In reply to Trans_Maro: Less power and more weight too! I was interested in a local Guzzi that was for sale until I looked up the specs.

I haven't seen any published power figures for the SR400 yet. I have a hard time believing it will be more powerful than a 750cc Guzzi v-twin.

They are motorcycles for different purposes and I like them both.

Edit: Trans_Maro beat me to it.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/23/14 9:30 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: You're bad at math. 50hp is MORE than 26hp. Guzzi: 50hp and 42.7 ft lbs. 395 lbs Yamaha: 26hp and 21 ft lbs. 384 lbs Guzzi wins. The specs on the SR400 were hard to find, most listed hp as "unavailable"

Those are NOT the specs I found for either bike.

39hp for the Yamaha (I found the 29hp one but a buddy of mine found one that could be corroborated.)

And that 395 lb Guzzi is a wet dream, not even close to accurate. Every one I have ever seen on the scales is broaching the 435 mark, less fuel. as far as ponys, yeah I ain't buying that one either. ...and that light weight and the 80 x 74mm pushrod V-Twin’s torquey/revvy nature make 39 horses feel like a larger herd. I have seen 48 hp, but I would bet they are using the standard SAE 10% for a real world 44 off the crank.

Don't get me wrong, I love how bespoke all Guzzis look, they are just a truly Italian bike, alot of style, a little substance, and some creatività with the specs.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
3/23/14 9:39 p.m.

Doesn't this crowd usually berate Harley-Davidson, for making old-ass looking, aircooled bikes? And now, you're drooling over this old-ass looking, aircooled Yamaha? I am puzzled.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/23/14 9:45 p.m.

In reply to RealMiniDriver:

Never been a fan of Hound Dogs

stroker
stroker Dork
3/24/14 12:54 a.m.

I rode an SR500 for a while and I REALLY liked it (until I had a head-on with a Cadillac). That thing would lean over into freakin' TOMORROW. I just can't see dropping 5 large on a new version, though. Things like DR650 Suzukis and KLR650 Kaws are available for a ton less.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
3/24/14 6:57 a.m.

So it kickstarts only, and has EFI. So there's a battery on board, right? And the only time it really gets tested is when it does or doesn't fire up the ECU & injection to start the thing. Is this line of thinking making sense, am I seemingly on the right track?

Because if so, this doesn't seem like a great deal. One of the things that the starter in your car does is tests the battery & electrical connections under the hood. Here, you wouldn't have that luxury.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JLWdYB142bmffK7000yNLo3WZrdQKfq5DxLPyY9njCIpGBz37ooayRQGFBodbRqP