2 3 4
Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
2/21/13 1:45 p.m.
Blitzed306 wrote: SV650 gets a big thumbs up from me. Its easy to drool over new bikes. But used bikes dont hurt your bank account when you wad it..... dont hurt as much anyway

That is on my watch list. I'm expecting a sizable windfall of cash soon. Planning to actually make the "What Bike" thread once I get that and can figure out my situation.

J308
J308 Reader
2/21/13 2:02 p.m.

The UJM above all others is, IMO, a 919.

As someone who has owned each of the big 4, Honda destroys the rest in longevity. 40k is nothing, and I've had bikes that needed engines at 15k.

Cons: It has a 900RR engine, and I can wheelie one to 100 MPH like I'm going to the store. So it's not for me. Nor is anything else with two wheels now that I have kiddos.

They make a 600 version though, should be just as reliable and almost as fast. I've also had a soft spot for the Speed Triple in Roulette Green.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
2/21/13 2:09 p.m.
J308 wrote: As someone who has owned each of the big 4, Honda destroys the rest in longevity. 40k is nothing, and I've had bikes that needed engines at 15k.

What kind of life span is typical on a motorcycle engine? I guess I'm used to cars that don't rev up to OMGWTFBBQ, but 40k seems like it really should be nothing for any motor.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/21/13 2:14 p.m.

Fodder for future "What Bike?" thread:

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
2/21/13 2:30 p.m.

Those top two are very high contenders.

A coworker showed me the new Norton Commando that is just getting released. It caused my pulse to quicken, but is definitely out of the price range. Dear sweet baby jeebus is it sexy though.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
2/21/13 3:05 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: Those top two are very high contenders. A coworker showed me the new Norton Commando that is just getting released. It caused my pulse to quicken, but is definitely out of the price range. Dear sweet baby jeebus is it sexy though.

Yea it is. Now go sit on it and see if you still feel the same way. How a bike fits is very important. For me, it was a near perfect failure. Exceeded only by the Bonneville, a bike designed to hurt it seems.

ransom
ransom SuperDork
2/21/13 3:18 p.m.

The Commando has been just about to be released for a decade or so, and two or three owners of the name... Huh, just checked the site and there appear to be photos of numerous completed bikes and frames with no obvious Photoshopping...

If I were actively bike-droo... shopping, I'd have a hard time not staring at '91-'98s Ducati Supersports... A bit more frequent maintenance than some others, but what a sound...

J308
J308 Reader
2/21/13 3:41 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron:

My experience, 15-20k miles is typical for sportbikes. Standards probably fair a bit better, but Honda is pretty much the Honda of motorcycles, except with some ridiculous performance.

In my mind, Honda bikes are like Supercharged NSXs with Accord reliability. There are a lot of sexy Standards out there though, so I'd have a tough time choosing if money were no object.

I'd start here: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/First-rides-tests/2009/March/mar1209-5-top-factory-streetfighters/

But honestly, as the 919 I posted can be had for $1800-$3000, has factory underseat exhaust, and is way faster than a streetbike need be, that is probably what I'd end up with, with some carbon cans, a custom headlamp, etc.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
2/21/13 4:26 p.m.
J308 wrote: In reply to Beer Baron: My experience, 15-20k miles is typical for sportbikes. Standards probably fair a bit better, but Honda is pretty much the Honda of motorcycles, except with some ridiculous performance. In my mind, Honda bikes are like Supercharged NSXs with Accord reliability. There are a lot of sexy Standards out there though, so I'd have a tough time choosing if money were no object. I'd start here: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/First-rides-tests/2009/March/mar1209-5-top-factory-streetfighters/ But honestly, as the 919 I posted can be had for $1800-$3000, has factory underseat exhaust, and is way faster than a streetbike need be, that is probably what I'd end up with, with some carbon cans, a custom headlamp, etc.

Money is not no object... but not a big one. Best estimate is that I'll be able to budget ~$20k to buying myself a bike and a used car. But the chickens have not hatched yet.

I want a nice modern standard. Probably around the 600~700cc to have ample performance into the future but not so much to be a handful to jump up to from the 250. Something versatile. Primary duty will be day trips zipping around HWY and the wooded mountain pass roads around here on the CA north coast. So solid handling is a must. But I want relaxed enough for leisurely rides with the fiance (on her own bike) and the versatility to do road trips to Tahoe, Yosemite, Monterey, or maybe Oregon. Means, probably not sport bike configuration. So the most likely bikes right now would be either a Street Triple, or an '04+ SV650.

That Norton is teh sexx, but as gorgeous as it is, actually doesn't tick the boxes I want as well as the Triple.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/21/13 4:30 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: Those top two are very high contenders.

Don't discount the VFR-750 because it isn't as pretty as the other two... it is one of the finest bikes ever made. I put 30k on one and have never met it's equal at any two things combined. It is the BMW M3 of bikes. Sporty all day comfortable canyon carver, 2 up grand touring cross country, 55mpg to work, weekend track day bike. They rock hard.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
2/21/13 4:31 p.m.

I'll just leave this parked here:

Comfy (although I do want to replace the seat with a better one), with a ton of grunt, handles pretty well and is surprisingly good on fuel. The engine has been around in various guises since just about Fred Flintstone's days and is a known, robust quantity.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
2/21/13 4:33 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Beer Baron wrote: Those top two are very high contenders.
Don't discount the VFR-750 because it isn't as pretty as the other two... it is one of the finest bikes ever made. I put 30k on one and have never met it's equal at any two things combined. It is the BMW M3 of bikes. Sporty all day comfortable canyon carver, 2 up grand touring cross country, 55mpg to work, weekend track day bike. They rock hard.

Unless their reg/rect decides to take a hike and leaves you doing 70mph in heavy traffic on the motorway with no engine. Don't ask how I know.

That said, apart from this typical Honda fault (hey, at least it doesn't have camchains) these things last forever when looked after. Not they simplest bike to look after due to the engine layout, but not too bad either.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
2/21/13 4:37 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Don't discount the VFR-750 because it isn't as pretty as the other two... it is one of the finest bikes ever made. I put 30k on one and have never met it's equal at any two things combined. It is the BMW M3 of bikes. Sporty all day comfortable canyon carver, 2 up grand touring cross country, 55mpg to work, weekend track day bike. They rock hard.

More leaning away from it because it looks like more sport bike configuration. I like the Ninja 250, but it definitely has me thinking that, for long term general use, I'd prefer a more upright position. If it really is comfortable enough for grand touring though...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
2/21/13 5:27 p.m.

You can get bar risers for the VFR, they do make a massive difference.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
2/21/13 7:15 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: What kind of life span is typical on a motorcycle engine? I guess I'm used to cars that don't rev up to OMGWTFBBQ, but 40k seems like it really should be nothing for any motor.

My SV650 has about 43k miles. 12k of them are mine, but I ride in probably the worse conditions possible: Lots of quick trips where it barely gets up to temp before shutting down, lots of short bursts of acceleration, mixed with a lot of idling in-town. No indications of mechanical problems so far, although it has deteriorated aesthetically a lot faster than my car, which is also parked outside.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
2/24/13 10:47 p.m.

Have I mentioned yet what an awesome place this is to ride? Had a really nice day trip today. 45 miles up HWY 1, decided to spend the time slowing my speed a bit to practice cutting the smoothest lines possible through turns and forcing myself to look as far ahead as possible. By the time I was ready to take a break and turn around, this is where I found myself:

Anytime anyone wants to come up, hang out, go for a ride and grab some beers for the evening... let me know. We have a guest bed for people to crash for a night or two.

lightitup
lightitup New Reader
3/7/13 12:16 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: I'll just leave this parked here: Comfy (although I do want to replace the seat with a better one), with a ton of grunt, handles pretty well and is surprisingly good on fuel. The engine has been around in various guises since just about Fred Flintstone's days and is a known, robust quantity.

i just picked me up a 81 550 ltd but dam does urs look nice

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xBTuwHSEB09VrOYAu3WTBLzuXXvuy5dHNjbBfS0PhTUqgPCafHNt1EmrQgnAzMyj