3 4 5 6
AWSX1686
AWSX1686 New Reader
3/10/15 10:01 a.m.

This one fell through. I'll continue to be watching for something decent.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
3/12/15 1:06 a.m.

In reply to keethrax:

I'm certainly close enough! Message sent.

keethrax
keethrax HalfDork
3/12/15 10:26 a.m.
oldopelguy wrote: In reply to keethrax: I'm certainly close enough! Message sent.

Sent an initial reply, expect a more detailed one from my wife in the next few days. Will get some new pics soon, but in the meantime here's the thread from when she bought it:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/sprockets/the-wife-just-bought-her-first-bike/34604/page1/

forestermel
forestermel New Reader
3/12/15 12:24 p.m.

(His wife chiming in...) These photos are from last summer, but aside from another 40-50 miles, nothing has changed. Box of extras includes: the seat, stylin' 80's mirrors, and smaller windshield from when I bought it (see previous post from keethrax), extra footpegs, full service manual, carb rebuild manual, and some other things that I'm probably forgetting at the moment.

OK... so I can't seem to get the photos to display at the moment. I'll have to work on that later, since I have a meeting I need to get back to.

This might work?

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/keethrax/library/cx500

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
3/13/15 5:52 p.m.

In reply to forestermel:

I like these bikes. Hard to go wrong with an 80s Japanese bike.

850Combat
850Combat Reader
3/13/15 9:16 p.m.

At the lowest price point, its the best condition bike you can find for the money, and not so much which make and model it is. Its surprisingly expensive to put tires on, rebuild brakes, and replace cables and hoses. The closest to turn-key for the best price will be the best bargain no matter what it is.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 New Reader
3/23/15 9:05 a.m.

Took at look at a 1981 Kawasaki 440LTD yesterday. It seems nice, need some work, but not too much. The horn doesn't work, needs battery, needs carbs cleaned or rebuilt. I took it for a short drive and it rode pretty well too. I'm inclined to get it at $525, but there's one other bike in town that I have to look at and see if it's in my price range.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/23/15 9:17 a.m.

A friend I started riding with back in the 80's had a 440LTD. It was a much more reliable steed than my GR650 Tempter which would sieze on a hot day at stoplights and make me wait until it cooled to carry on. It handled pretty well too but it was slow even by 1983 standards and the thottle was a useless artifact at highway speeds. My 650 would leave it for dead in a 65-75mph roll on. To my thinking - acceleration is as much a safety feature as good brakes so that bike will be fine around town and on curvy country roads where you are averaging under 50mph and enjoying the breeze but I'd worry about my ability to ditch a tailgater or get past an erratic suburban at 75 in a commuting role.

A modern Ninja 250 would murder it in all regards for not much more money.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
3/23/15 11:53 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

The one I was storing sold in a mere 3 days after being listed on CL for $400 more than was paid in November....

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
3/29/15 8:29 a.m.

I went and looked at a CB300F yesterday. Really liked the seating position, pretty comfortable and I like the naked bike look. I'm having a hard time justifying 3-4k on a used bike when these are 4k new.

Anyone ridden one? It was snowing, so I wasn't about to ask to roll it out of the showroom.

The Jeeza
The Jeeza MegaDork
3/29/15 10:03 a.m.
cmcgregor wrote: I went and looked at a CB300F yesterday. Really liked the seating position, pretty comfortable and I like the naked bike look. I'm having a hard time justifying 3-4k on a used bike when these are 4k new. Anyone ridden one? It was snowing, so I wasn't about to ask to roll it out of the showroom.

If it is a newer bike I can see the $3k but not the $4k. Bikes are more about fit than anything so if it is comfy, you might want to think about dropping the $3k on a bike you will enjoy.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
3/29/15 10:16 a.m.

It was brand new, 4k out the door. My point was, a lot of the used stuff around here is ~3k anyway, and who knows what's been done to it.

I should probably just be a little more patient and look around some more. The season really hasn't even started yet. I'm just easily distracted by shiny things.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
3/29/15 10:18 a.m.

Also the 390 Duke looks awesome, but is 5k. And also not in showrooms yet, that I can find. That's a little more than I'm willing to spend on a toy.

The Jeeza
The Jeeza MegaDork
3/29/15 6:18 p.m.

yeah, although close in dimensions I would not put the Duke 390 in the same class as the CB300F. Almost a 50% increase in power. Although I think both would be great beginner bikes. Go with what fits you and your budget and you will be happy.

And go to a MSF riders course.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
3/30/15 8:41 a.m.

Just FYI, used bike prices SUCK right now for the sellers. I looked at selling my V-Star 950, a $10,000 bike new, mine had less than 5k miles on it and I couldn't get any interest at $4500. Check the classifieds and see what is out there. A Shadow 750 with 5000 miles for $3000 is a lot of bike for the money.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
3/30/15 8:59 a.m.

In reply to The Jeeza:

Did the MSF class last weekend (the 21st). It was very cold and it snowed Saturday, so we had to do all the riding on Sunday in ~30 degree weather. I had a great time though, and that's what's fueling this renewed interest in actually finding a bike haha. Also, the place I did it through is offering a free level 2 class this year, so I want to get something so I can go do that when it's actually warm.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
3/30/15 11:30 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Just FYI, used bike prices SUCK right now for the sellers. I looked at selling my V-Star 950, a $10,000 bike new, mine had less than 5k miles on it and I couldn't get any interest at $4500. Check the classifieds and see what is out there. A Shadow 750 with 5000 miles for $3000 is a lot of bike for the money.

The 250-300 class will hold its value better, with the sportier looking bikes holding the best. 5 years from now, those KTM's will most likely hold steady at 3k or so, barring major issues with them of course.

The Jeeza
The Jeeza MegaDork
4/2/15 5:25 a.m.

Well, what did you decide???

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/2/15 10:12 a.m.

Huh... used bike prices are usually nutso in the Spring. Sellers market. At least it should be.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
4/2/15 2:11 p.m.

Haven't decided anything yet. My Miata has been in pieces in my father-in-law's garage all week, so I've been trying to get that out of there. I'm also looking at a used sv650 this weekend - a bit less beginner friendly, but might be a better bike to hang onto long term.

I also got a pretty healthy raise at work, so my budget may have just increased....

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
4/2/15 8:44 p.m.

In reply to cmcgregor:

An SV would be beginner friendly....one of those was my first bike. Never enough power to really scare you, but quicker than most of the older bikes mentioned in this thread(which a modern 250 would eat alive)

I'll be frank with you, most people on here love the SV, but I still hated mine for being such a dog compared to other bikes in its displacement class.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 New Reader
4/4/15 11:34 a.m.

I finally bought a motorcycle! I bought a 1993 Yamaha XJ600 SECA II. Bought it Tuesday, got my permit, insurance, and registration thursday, and finally took it for a real ride today. I love it.

It's got power to do what I need, but not so much that it is not safe for a beginner like me.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 New Reader
4/4/15 11:37 a.m.

Here it is! The paint is a little rough, but I will probably paint it this fall/winter. Could use a tune-up, but it is certainly ridable right now.

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
4/4/15 11:51 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686:

I used to have one of those. They are great little bikes. I bought it to flip but sure hated to see it go. Be careful but enjoy it.

The Jeeza
The Jeeza MegaDork
4/5/15 7:21 a.m.

Sega II is a great bike, nice buy, congrats!

SV650 is a great bike as well. Those are beginner and mod friendly and have a cult like status. I know plenty of people who step down from a bigger bike to an SV just becAuse they like how they ride.

Now all someone needs alto do is buy a VFR and a dual sport and all will be right with the world

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Obv32t8fj0gRczTpuHGMzwCxaLhiifWD2gq09QE1TPSYI834aY8zrokuNdLrR22R